8.0.3.23702 Public Beta

• Indeed. I gave it another try:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Works more intuitively for me this way at least.

Do notice that with higher KD definition settings, putting the amp gain towards 0 almost silences the tone, since the KD definition really thins out clean signals. Not sure if this is new though - just took me by surprise.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• The improvement over the previous situation is clear IMO.

I myself have been doing my testing and I till now I came to the conclusion that if we want a real behaviour, similar to real pedal, we still need more volume range in the upper section.

I have been trying my Maxon OD9 using the intended Loop Distortion module. With the real pedal the volume range I get is a lot wider than with the Kemper Drive or Green Scream. Maybe for the Green Scream it is not a good idea to change anything as it has been in the KPA for so long that many past made Rigs might be affected. But for the Kemper Drive I do think that we could benefit from a better and more true range of volume from -5 to +5.

What I am getting is a more natural behaviour from -5 to 0. My Maxon can get lower in volume to the point of even cutting completely the signal. But that is not really usable. So I guess the lowest setting in the Kemper Drive now is OK.

In the range over 0 to +5 the volume still is too low compared to the real pedal. I guess there where no changes here, as the change log only mentions values below 0.

• In the range over 0 to +5 the volume still is too low compared to the real pedal. I guess there where no changes here, as the change log only mentions values below 0.

Please explain „volume still too low“.

Are you driving a distorting amp?

Please use your Maxon in front of the Profiler (Input) and set „Clean Sens“ to +6 dB for the duration of the A/B comparison, to match the situation.

• Please explain „volume still too low“.

Are you driving a distorting amp?

Please use your Maxon in front of the Profiler (Input) and set „Clean Sens“ to +6 dB for the duration of the A/B comparison, to match the situation.

"Volume still too low": the Maxon gets a noticeable higher volume at max setting than the Kemper Drive at max setting.

This is something I am finding when attempting te create a set of presets of my overdrive pedal to then share here. I always thought the Kemper Drive was a good idea but would be even better with the community making presets tone matching their real pedals.

"Are you driving a distorting amp?": I get higher volume with the Maxon on the loop, both with clean and distorted amps.

I will test your recommendation of settings when I can and se how it goes.

Thanks for your work and for keeping your word on sorting out this issue ckemper

• I really like the new, less compressed, feel. Playing through a 1x12 open cab Kemper kone speaker. Only tried at home at bedroom volume so far so good. As always I'm so impressed by the Kemper team. /Hans Jakobsson Umeå Sweden

• "Are you driving a distorting amp?": I get higher volume with the Maxon on the loop, both with clean and distorted amps.

ckemper

This is what I don‘t understand.

I cannot see a way how you would vary the volume of a (significantly) distorted amp by swapping the OD, or changing the volume of the OD.

The distortion of the amp would compress (sic!) the volume differences, but response with a different level of distortion.

• I really like the new, less compressed, feel. Playing through a 1x12 open cab Kemper kone speaker. Only tried at home at bedroom volume so far so good. As always I'm so impressed by the Kemper team. /Hans Jakobsson Umeå Sweden

Thanks!

I don‘t want to disappoint you, but we have not included means for a less compressed feel, that couldn‘t be achieved by other classical methods such as reducing amp gain.

• This is what I don‘t understand.

I cannot see a way how you would vary the volume of a (significantly) distorted amp by swapping the OD, or changing the volume of the OD.

The distortion of the amp would compress (sic!) the volume differences, but response with a different level of distortion.

My setup at home is made to use the Aux Input with my PC and be able to listen back to tracks and youtube lessons on the same headphones as I play thru the Kemper. This makes impossible to use the effects loop. For my initial test I went and disconnected everything and enabled the effects loop. I did the testing and found that for the clean (gain at 0 in the amp) and until a significant amount of gain in the amp, the Maxon had clearly a lot more volume than the Kemper Drive. I´m not talking here in super high gain where there is no room for more volume and any amp would just change the tone, compress and change the quality of the distortion, but in the low range of distorted amps where many people use their overdrives to get a boost for a lead part for example. Now based on your recommendation I went back to my usual setting with the effects loop disabled. So I am not able to try it again to report back with the exact gain figures until I have some spare time to do a new test on the effects loop.

If someone can do a similar test with a similar Tube Screamer pedal I would rather keep my testing on the suggested setting of connecting the Maxon Overdrive in front of the Kemper.

Last night I tried again in this setting with the pedal in front of the amp. Right now I can't report any conclusions. This way it all depends completely on the Clean Sense setting that you have.

Using the +6dB setting that you ckemper suggested the volume difference at maximum settings for a Profile that has gain at 4.4 value between the Maxon and the Kemper Drive is huge.

Are you sure you didn't mean -6 dB?

I think I still have a lot to learn about Clean Sense and the way to take complete advantage of it.

My way of thinking would be that Clean Sense is made to adapt to different guitars, but as soon as I put a pedal in front and rise the volume then I get a different response like I would with a higher output guitar. And that was what led me to think that probably the way of making things even was to use the overdrive pedal in an "intended for this use" Distortion Loop. With the results I already told.

Right now I would not know what settings use to try and make a list of presets for the community to use and get similar results with their setups.

• The Clean Sense does exactly what you describe.

It levels your guitar on the input. However, it cannot tell whether it is a pure guitar or an overdrive in the line. Therefore the ouput level of the OD is affected as well. But this should not be an issue.

Next topic: the volume control of any Profiler effect spans +- 24 dB, which is a lot.

If this is driven into clean devices such as a clean amp or even no amp, your speakers would explode (when set to +24 dB). This is why the boost is scaled down in purpose.

Now when you turn your amp gain a bit higher than zero (something that you would also do on a tube amp), maybe to 2.0 or higher, then the full boost into the distortion is possible. And then you will experience that the Profilers volume boost goes beyond most OD pedals.

And that‘s what is crucial: Boost into the amp distortion.

• It seems obvious to me that modern tuners dedicated to electric guitarists strongly lean towards the „b“ choice.

I have a hard time to find „#“ tuners in this domain. And it totally makes sense to me. That‘s why we have changed it.

Wouldn't it be possible to do this as an option?
    I used #-tuners for years, my DAW and writing software works with # and my brain also… probably I could adapt, but a choice would be much more preferable :)

• Wouldn't it be possible to do this as an option?
    I used #-tuners for years, my DAW and writing software works with # and my brain also… probably I could adapt, but a choice would be much more preferable :)

The Tuner in the Profiler is usually taken for tuning guitars, the open strings. EADGBE. And others.

No b or #.

For a semitone drop you will have the same with b added, which is the best solution.

Do you prefer to tune to D# instead of Eb tuning, while every guitarist would call it Eb tuning?

Where do you encounter a situation with your electric guitar, where a # would be favorable?

• Where do you encounter a situation with your electric guitar, where a # would be favorable?

although I don’t personally use them I can imagine people that use open tunings and altered tuning could easily find a # more natural (no pun intended) in many cases. For example what about an open E tuning with a G# or an open A tuning with a C#?

• I’d say throughout all the sessions I’ve ever sat in: most say Eb, Ab, and Bb; then C# and F#. If you’re running scales up the circle of fifths from C: then you’re dealing with # notation; and running down the circle of fourths is b notation. I don’t mind which is used, and common discussion among musicians seem to favor b over # 3:2; so fine by me.

• I just tune my guitars to F flat.

:)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I have no music theory, but I was always told when you tune down you refer to the note as a flat and tune up a sharp - therefore there is no right answer...I tune a semi tone down so it makes sense ( to me) that I see Eb etc. but some open tunings you sharpen notes...

Feels like a pandora's box has been opened up...but in the real world I'm easy. The best solution is to make the tuner configurable, which has been mentioned before and wrap this type of selection up in alternate tuning settings and being able to save a tuning setting ( some people wanted variation on the cents for each note for example).