Kemper Cab

• Don’t worry guys the beginners figured it out. Imprints aren’t realistically usable yet. Can’t record them. Can’t put them through front of house. Maybe someday.

I’ve owned a Kemper for over 4 years but I’m still a beginner lol.

• ok I have a sound through this speaker. Let’s mic it then. Or send the profile sound direct through the pa. Wait... We can’t mic it or send the sound direct we only get one preset sound? Lol. use your brain.

• Don’t worry guys the beginners figured it out. Imprints aren’t realistically usable yet. Can’t record them. Can’t put them through front of house. Maybe someday.

I’ve owned a Kemper for over 4 years but I’m still a beginner lol.

You can, just won;t sound any good/reliable sound.

Its like saying I can;t run an acoustic through a Marshall. You can but the results will be odd and not designed for that purpose. They are designed for Amp in the room only and for the purpose they are designed, they are useable.

• ... Imprints aren’t realistically usable yet. Can’t record them. Can’t put them through front of house. Maybe someday.

Sorry, but imprints ARE "realisticly usable"! They were designed to reproduce "amp in the room sound" and for that they are just fantastic! If your needs are " recording" or FOH you have to use different scenarios. Many people explained it in this thread already. But for whatever reason you don't accept it and spreading wrong assumptions instead. If imprints doesn't suit your needs - don't use them.

• ok I have a sound through this speaker. Let’s mic it then. Or send the profile sound direct through the pa. Wait... We can’t mic it or send the sound direct we only get one preset sound?

You can mic the imprints or send them to FOH via the monitor outputs, no one's stopping you. However the imprints are designed to work with a bespoke speaker, I understand and appreciate the value in that.

I think you'd be happier if you just pretended they didn't exist

Lol. use your brain.

My brain works fine, I'm neither ignorant nor pretending to be ignorant, although I am starting to feel stupider for continuing this conversation.

Over and out

• ok I have a sound through this speaker. Let’s mic it then. Or send the profile sound direct through the pa. Wait... We can’t mic it or send the sound direct we only get one preset sound? Lol. use your brain.

OK, I’ll bite ?

you are completely missing the point (or pretending to miss it to keep is all engaged ?).

If you could mic an imprint you would have the same result as using an IR or Kemper cabinet preset. I.e. a speaker with a mic in front of it. Therefore there is no need for the ability to mic the imprint as it has always existed. As for sending an imprint direct to FOH; how useful is this in reality? You have never heard the sound of an unmic’ed speaker in a full band mix because you need to mic it to get it into the full band mix in the first place. If you have ever tried listening to a backline speaker as the only sound source NOT being mic’ed then you have probably realised how much it lacks definition and doesn’t sit in the mix properly.

imprints were designed to do a specific job which they do extremely well.

• This is getting a little bit impolite, there's no need for any of us to be so.

I appreciate the OP's desire to have the profiles automatically select an imprint to match the cab used during profiling. But not only would that require either a reduction in the profiles available or for Kemper to come up with a massive number of Imprints immediately. It simply isn't viable.

We can already store Imprints against Profiles so that we can achieve just this, but that requires us to do so. With the vast variation in miking positions and differences in personal taste, we will always require lots of profiles. The majority of us are entirely satisfied with the route taken by Kemper to give us some of the guitar speaker sound.

If you consider that for any live performance with decent PA or studio recording, the drums, voice, guitars, piano, strings etc have been captured through a mic. If you were able to remove the sound of the mic from the guitar, you'd have a hard time making it work in the mix. It's really about the monitoring for the Kone.

So yes, maybe there is a compromise to be made by having to assign an Imprint to the sound you're making, which may not be entirely the same. But you can flip from FRFR to V30 to whatever and still get close. The alternative compromises will disappoint far more people than this method.

Instead of changing Imprints and the main outputs not changing to suit, I consider it the opposite way round. I am changing the Imprints to match the cab used in a Profile that I like. If I want a different IR for recording or playing live, I select a different Profile. I then make sure the Imprint sounds equally as good for me on stage. The priority for me is still the Profile used. If I'm dialling in the perfect tone for the Imprint without considering the main output, I'm neglecting some of the Kempers best attributes ie reliable, authentic sounding mic'ed guitar tones. No worries about the engineer dangling some cheap vocal mic over the cab. Same every time. That is my priority but the Kabinet allows me to play with the familiar sound of my guitar speaker au naturale.

Edited once, last by chu ().