-0.0 <0.0> and +0.0

• This must have been asked before but I haven’t been able to find a thread about it.

When crossing the zero threshold while tweaking values I always see three different zeros.

-0.0 <0.0> +0.0

I always thought zero was neither positive or negative so what’s the significance of this?

• This might be related to how floating point values are represented in computers. Most CPUs have 2 "zero" floating point values +0 and -0 (one of the bits representing number is called "sign-bit" and can be zero (+) or one (-)). For calculations it doesn't matter.

It also might be related to the fact the the real value is +/-0.00001 and it just didn't fit on a display.

• Looking at the EQ section in stack I see a scale of +-5.0 for Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence.

0.1 to 5.0 gives 50 different positive possibilities. 50 also on the negative side. That's 100 non zero states. Include zero and there are 101 possible settings. Include 3 zeros and we have 103 possible states. Why not just just have a scale of +-5.1 to achieve the same result?

If it is a sign bit then why is it presented to the user while 0.0 is displayed. Surely the time to inform the user that they have dialed in a negative or positive value is at +-0.1 and beyond. I do understand that CPUs and memory chips use binary to represent numbers and logic but if this is an artifact of binary to decimal conversion why present it to the user in this way?

The designers have made a conscious decision to do this and I have always wondered why. Just curious.

• It also might be related to the fact the the real value is +/-0.00001 and it just didn't fit on a display.

I'm pretty sure it's this.

Would like it to actually round off in 0.1 increments as the current behavior makes it impossible to replicate settings without copy paste. Try setting two tremolos to the same frequency without copy paste. Not possible.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Ah, minus zero rather than null zero (or positive zero):S<X:pinch:

Reminds me of this old thread

noise gate goes to -0.1 ?

Where there was a value between those shown on the display as a side effect from scaling and rounding up very “fine” values more than able to be displayed.

Does anyone know the resolution of these parameters?

Its clear that the resolution is more than needed for the display scaling hence the “queer” values

• I think it's 0.01. Otherwise it would be impossible to hit 0.0 with the knob.

Purely speculation of course.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM