Insane thought and question

• Lets say you dial up your tube amp to a particular tone of a recorded intro of just a guitar track. Lets use Limelight by Rush as an example, again trying to get your amp as close as possible, but some room for refining. You go ahead and capture your "close" tone to the Kemper, but now for the "Refine Profile" option you point your mic to a looped intro of Limelight playing from studio monitors. ok...beat me up now, crazy idea? lol

• Andy Sneap talked about something similar in an old video, matching old tones off albums he’d recorded, though he “tone matched” using the DI off the tape into the Kemper, and the final sound off the tape into the return.

• Lets say you dial up your tube amp to a particular tone of a recorded intro of just a guitar track. Lets use Limelight by Rush as an example, again trying to get your amp as close as possible, but some room for refining. You go ahead and capture your "close" tone to the Kemper, but now for the "Refine Profile" option you point your mic to a looped intro of Limelight playing from studio monitors. ok...beat me up now, crazy idea? lol

What microphone? - Refining the Profile is done by connecting a guitar to the guitar input.

Even if you connect a microphone to the guitar input, I don't see how this can accomplish what the Refine the Profile process requires.

If you try it, please share the resulting Profile.

Thanks,

ST

• that’s not how refining works.

I dont understand, the mic is pointed at a live signal from the amp to the cabinet. I would assume it is picking up that signal from the mic'ed cabinet no? Lets face it...the Kemper is great but it does not profile/copy 100% of the same exact tone coming from the amp and cab. I understand mic choice and placement has allot to do with it though.

• I dont understand, the mic is pointed at a live signal from the amp to the cabinet. I would assume it is picking up that signal from the mic'ed cabinet no? Lets face it...the Kemper is great but it does not profile/copy 100% of the same exact tone coming from the amp and cab. I understand mic choice and placement has allot to do with it though.

It copies the whole thing, amp+cab+mic in the way is setup in the moment of recording. That is why it sounds so great on demos. The impressive part is when you remove the cabinet and connect the real one, it actually sounds scary-close to the real amp, even when the cab+mic section was separated by a software guess.

The answer is 42

Edited once, last by Alfahdj ().

• I dont understand, the mic is pointed at a live signal from the amp to the cabinet. I would assume it is picking up that signal from the mic'ed cabinet no? Lets face it...the Kemper is great but it does not profile/copy 100% of the same exact tone coming from the amp and cab. I understand mic choice and placement has allot to do with it though.

The mic is facing the speaker which is being driven by the amp that your guitar signal is going through. When you refine the profile the KPA compared the signal from the reference amp and the profiled rig and analyses the differences. If you feed a Rush track through the mic during profiling it has nothing to compare against. Yes, it would hear the Rush track but it wouldn't have your playing to compare against. In fact if it did pickup anuthing it would give totally weird results as it would be seeing your input notes and attack and comparing this to totally different notes and playing dynamics so the KPA would basically see the two as so different it would just go WTF and probably explode :D