Is this normal - Bassy sound

• Hello,

I notice that most of the kemper rigs sound bassy.. is this normal?... Im using a normal 8" powered speaker (not frfr) to setup my performances. Is it the wrong speaker to do that?.. should I use a FRFR speaker instead?...

The speaker has a high and low knob in the back... they are both in the middle (0)

• Both headphones and regular speakers will add bass. The only way to really tell how "bassy" a rig sounds is to use FRFR speaker/monitors. However, you still should be able to dial in a good tone no matter what speaker you use. Just use EQ. But that probably won't translate to a good tone for recording, and if you happen to swap over from one speaker type to another you will hear a big difference in tone in a negative way.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Both headphones and regular speakers will add bass. The only way to really tell how "bassy" a rig sounds is to use FRFR speaker/monitors. However, you still should be able to dial in a good tone no matter what speaker you use. Just use EQ. But that probably won't translate to a good tone for recording, and if you happen to swap over from one speaker type to another you will hear a big difference in tone in a negative way.

So doesn't matter how good I get a guitar tone in my house with an FRFR speaker when I go to a gig it will sound different through the PA?

• So doesn't matter how good I get a guitar tone in my house with an FRFR speaker when I go to a gig it will sound different through the PA?

This depends on the acoustics in the venue and how the PA is set up, and if there's a Front of House sound person.

For small to medium venues, I bring my sound system - the same one I use for creating my sound in rehearsal.

• Hello,

I notice that most of the kemper rigs sound bassy.. is this normal?... Im using a normal 8" powered speaker (not frfr) to setup my performances. Is it the wrong speaker to do that?.. should I use a FRFR speaker instead?...

The speaker has a high and low knob in the back... they are both in the middle (0)

You will find there is a jillion ways to fix that problem. It's not the Kemper, it's what is being done with it. For example, start messing around with the shifts of the cab and you will see the power of just one section of the device. Often I think a sound is bassy or harsh, then record it and go "Wow that sounds great!" I have found the Kemper to be completely reliant on the profile and setup to go between "I sold my Kemper" and "This is the best amp I have ever played". Acknowledging this, I find the Kemper to likely be the best amp I have ever had as I understand what is happening. Except that it's not really an amp in traditional view. It's often better, an amp put on a platter ready to serve..

• So doesn't matter how good I get a guitar tone in my house with an FRFR speaker when I go to a gig it will sound different through the PA?

Yes, it will always sound “different” at the gig because of the different room acoustics (it will actually sound different at soundcheck when the room is empty compared to when the audience fill the place), the PA, sound engineer, rest of band etc. However, that doesn’t mean honing your sound is pointless.

An album will sound different on every playback system, because of the room/car/headphones/speakers/listening position/etc..........and none of these will sound exactly like it did in the studio when mixing. A good mix is one that translates well to as many different situations as possible.

The same is true of your Kemper rigs.

If you have a good basic tone it will translate well to multiple environments and situations. It will sound “different “ in each one but should still sound good. In order to get a good sound that translates well you want to be able to hear as much detail as possible. Good studio monitors or FRFR in a good sounding room at fairly loud volume is usually the best starting point. But remember, you are not trying to get the guitar to sound exactly the way it will sound through a PA but rather a sound that will translate well to many different PAs.

At least that’s my view. Others may disagree.

• The whole ting for me with Kemper is to use FRFR speaker! I dail in all my sounds with this at gig volume, and troug our PA it sounds almost the same! We have JBL PA who realy transmit my guitarsound very well! almost after every gig some guitarist or musichan come up to me and say i have a very nice guitarsound!!

• When I first got my Kemper I though the same, too bassy. I have found its always best to use a FRFR speaker for true profile tone, but the Kemper still does an exceptional job using a real cabinet with Cabs Off. I prefer the F12-200X over the Kone, it delivers more "amp in the room" and just sounds better to me (I do not use imprints). The power amp is also very important as it will add color. I have the power head and it does sound great coming out of the FRFR speaker, but sounds even better when I bypass the power of the head and use a real tube amp power section. When using an FRFR you get to choose more cabinet options, and I also use the Pure Cabinet setting which will remove some of that "bassy" issues you are referring to. I find the sweet spot at 3.0. I am not much into IRs, the cabs and merging cabs is the better option imo.

Opposite. If you get good tone "with" FRFR speakers at home then the FOH sound will be the same. Your audience will hear the same tone as you (relatively speaking). The output mains will go to FOH. But if you go to plug in monitor output to a powered stage speaker or a powered cab then that sound would be colored if it's not a FRFR. Just know that all FRFR speakers are not equal, and even the same exact speaker types can "sound" a little different.

Sorry, I forgot to hit the "reply" button on this the other day. :pinch:

• Opposite. If you get good tone "with" FRFR speakers at home then the FOH sound will be the same. Your audience will hear the same tone as you (relatively speaking). The output mains will go to FOH. But if you go to plug in monitor output to a powered stage speaker or a powered cab then that sound would be colored if it's not a FRFR. Just know that all FRFR speakers are not equal, and even the same exact speaker types can "sound" a little different.

Sorry, I forgot to hit the "reply" button on this the other day. :pinch:

So what would be the correct way to connect.. From the Kemper to my FRFR speaker and from the FRFR to FOH (mono)?.. or stereo from Kemper to FOH and monitor out to my FRFR speaker

• Send your main outputs to the FOH (you can send in stereo L and R). Use your monitor out for stage monitor (mono). That's how I plan to do it. If you are playing a very small venue then just use a left and right powered FRFR from main outputs in stereo as the FOH. Simple.

• Hi, angeljohng,

So what would be the correct way to connect.. From the Kemper to my FRFR speaker and from the FRFR to FOH (mono)?.. or stereo from Kemper to FOH and monitor out to my FRFR speaker

Check out this chapter in the Kemper Manual.

The Sound of Guitar Cabinets versus Mic'ed Speakers

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides

After reading that chapter, you'll have a better understanding of why we have separate outputs for monitors and mains on the Kemper Profiler.

Main Outputs to Front of House (FOH)

Typically, you use the Main Outputs for the FOH, and we have to assume the FOH system is Full Range, Flat Response (FRFR) and tuned to suit the venue. That can be stereo or mono, but typically FOH is run mono.

Monitor Outputs - a subjective choice

You can do whatever you want for the monitor outputs (to be heard by you and people on stage with you).

• FRFR if you want to hear the same signal you are sending to the FOH (and roughly what the audience hears)
    • Run the monitors FRFR stereo if that's what moves you - even if you run mono to the FOH
    • Run powered cab or Kemper Kabinet if you want the amp-in-the-room sound

The correct way is whatever it takes to support you as you put on a great show for the audience.

• My wife tried to influence me to get rid of my pedals and tube amps since I bought the Kemper. I said I still needed just one more pedal to make my tubes amps worthy of staying. ;)