Anyone play with ES335 style guitars

• I'm just digging this up because since this was on the subject, how many of you feel you can actually tell that you are playing a semi hollow when recording one of these? Do you think the "hollow" part is obvious and easily detectable?

I don't know if anybody else can tell (hear a difference.) But I play my semi and hollow-body guitars differently than I do the solid bodies.

Don't you?

It could be because of this.

For me, they have a different attack and sustain envelope than a solid body guitar, especially with a trapeze or Bigsby bridge.

And then there's this.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't know if anybody else can tell (hear a difference.) But I play my semi and hollow-body guitars differently than I do the solid bodies.

Don't you?

Yes I do, but when recording between my ES-335 and Les Paul custom I realized even though I WANTED to hear the "acousticness" of the 335, I didn't think someone could in a blind test. For sure it feeds back differently (and awesomely) but It made me doubt and wonder what are the REAL advantages of having a semi hollow if it doesn't really impact the sound. I'm going to check out the vid thanks! For the most part I like their presentations but I wish the captain would stop wiping his nose with his fingers.

• Checking out this video, It does not fully represent the situation I am speaking of. I am speaking of the sound if you were NOT in the room with the guitar, but ONLY hearing what is coming out of the output jack, Do you think you can detect there is an acoustic body?(And if not what would be the reasons for using one besides looks and feedback?

• humm.. I was doing more or less the same..

comparing a Lucille and a Les Paul

Neck PU (490R vs SD APH II Slash)

Do they sound The Same? no

Do they sound Very Different? no

Can I Immidiatly recognise them?.. no ..but now it's more easy.

Together

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and separate

• My quick guess was "A" is the hollow body?

• yes..gtrA is the Lucille. the one on the right side in the first stereo track.

I only guessed that because A sounded similar to my 335. It's just a little "spongier" than my quick & tight Les Paul custom. This thread made me listen to RUSH 2112 in the gym today. I believe that whole album was mostly his old sunburst 335 before it was retired for the 355. I know that album better than I know myself and to be honest, I don't hear much that makes me go, "Yes that is a 335". I could be told it was a Les Paul and I would believe it.

• I have a 1975 Ibanez that's like a 335 and it sounds great through the Kemper.

I use Anderson pickups (Tom is the best pickup maker IMO) and have to admit they're a huge part - way better than the stock ones. I set it up with either the HC - humbuckers or the PH - P90 humbucker size set.

• One of my main guitars is a DBZ Imperial w/a Bigsby :) (DBZ makes Diamond Amplification and is now Diamond Guitars as well. Dean Zelinksy was designing the guitars around the DBZ era of the company :) and this is when these guitars were made in Korea in World Musical Instrument Co., before they moved production to another factory)

It has a 335 style body but a bit different and it's sleeker and thinner. It has a bit more twang than a standard 335 (I love that about it!) and it has a ton of sustain! For being literally my thinnest guitar, it has the most sustain! (Which is extra surprising because I've read people online make comments about how Bigsby bridges can affect and decrease sustain8o) The Bigsby bridge was new to me and I hard-tailed it when I first got it but, I undid that pretty quick and ended up falling in love with the Bigsby. It also has one of the nicest fret jobs and nicest playing necks of any of my guitars!

It's the guitar I use when I want to experiment with clean, low gain, and mid gain tones. I rigged up the push/pull Tone knob as a coil split and the tones I get with the split neck pickup are heavenly when I play low and mid gain tones through my KPA.

I got in 2008 and It lived in it's case because at the time, I was playing heavy stuff and I didn't think it would work for that (I was dead wrong on that one! lol^^). When I got my Kemper Stage, I started taking it out to experiment with different sounds because I finally had access to a million amps and every/any tone that I could ever want! hahaha. To my surprise, everything I played on it sounded great and the KPA brought the best out of it! That's how I found out that one of my best guitars had been cased and shunned by my unknowing and naive young self-for over a decade lol:D

Gotta love the incredibly classy and timeless shape and look of the 335 and 335 style guitars. They're really badass while being classic. A lot like a really great fitting leather jacket hahaha :D

• btw, the Suhr reference was about Mbritt and ToneJunkie and their Suhr guitar if anyone didn't get the joke.

I tried with a my ES-335 Dot last night. Sounds great. I need to find myself some Dumble clone profile for it.