Keeping the changes of effect on/off when switching slots within a Performance untill you switch to another Performance

• Many of us are always using first slot like a basic rhythm position for each song.

An Example : For a Song Nr. 1 I use the slot 3 for the solo with delay and chorus ON. In the Song Nr.2 I use the same slot with delay and chorus OFF for the solo. Now I have to step on the footswitch several times to get the sound I want. And there isn't just enough time for that in many songs.

It would by very helpfull to add the possibility of the keeping the changes of the effects on/off within a Performance. This would allow you to pre-select before a song which effects will be active while playing the solo. It would be much more flexible on a live stage and each slot can be used for multiple songs.

Edited 2 times, last by laco65 ().

• Happy to hear yet another user asking for this.

This function has been asked for at least since 2015 but has not been implemented and I haven't seen any reason why.

Here are some other threads on the same subject:

Lock per Performance

Lock mode is awesome! But in Performance mode I'm frustrated with it...

Personally I use the overall LOCK-function for some effects/functions like volume boost, wah... and so on which I want to have instant access to in every Performance and I want them to stay on/off even if I jump between slots for different gain/amp-settings.

The problem is that if I lock let's say Delay, then it's locked on every Performance and I can't even have different delay times or types set in different Performances.

I think the effects in the Kemper overall are very good, it's the handling and programability that is limited.

You can do this in the Helix so I'm sure it's doable with a software tweak in the Kemper also.

Until we get this (if we do?) I have put a Line6 HX Effects in a loop on the Kemper.

In the HX FX I can have presets for specific sounds/songs (U2 songs w.specific delays, talkbox, pitch shifters, country-presets with slapjack delays, big spacey reverbs, auto wah and other filters... and so on).

This setup works fine but if there was a "Lock per performance"-choice in the Kemper I could get rid of the HX FX and have the same freedom with the Kemper only. Since I have 2 Kempers (1 stage for gigs and 1 rack in studio) it would be even better to have the exact same sounds and convenience with both rigs.

I really hope for this function in an update soon and those who don't have the need for it can just leave it off.

Edited once, last by JSJSJS ().

• Many of us are always using first slot like a basic rhythm position for each song.

An Example : For a Song Nr. 1 I use the slot 3 for the solo with delay and chorus ON. In the Song Nr.2 I use the same slot with delay and chorus OFF for the solo. Now I have to step on the footswitch several times to get the sound I want. And there isn't just enough time for that in many songs.

It would by very helpfull to add the possibility of the keeping the changes of the effects on/off within a Performance. This would allow you to pre-select before a song which effects will be active while playing the solo. It would be much more flexible on a live stage and each slot can be used for multiple songs.

i have the same problem / request! Locking function only for one performance Bank (not global) will be great!

• Am I wrong in saying that if you set your

Many of us are always using first slot like a basic rhythm position for each song.

Am I wrong in thinking that if you wanted to say, have the chorus turned off for song 2 solo, all you have to do is make the change within the performance, and save it? The thing I've found about Performance mode is that you are modifying one of you basic profiles to tailor it to the needs of that particular Performance. Something I've come across is tweaking a previously stock preset, and wanting to save it as an actual Rig. Not sure if this can be accomplished when in Performance mode. A work around is to create a copy of the preset in question, as its own Rig. Then load that preset into your song #2 solo slot. Just a thought.

• If I turn on an effect in slot 3, for example, I don't want to save it permanently. I want it to stay that way until I choose another Performance. If that were the case, I could use one Performance on many songs.

I would just choose the necessary effects (on or off) before the song. You would need to program much less Performance.

(Now I have to use a new slot with the same profile, for example, just because I need to turn on the chorus and delay during a solo in one song, but not in another.)

Currently, this works when Profiler is connected to a PC and I have Rig Manager open. The only thing I want it to work so without a connected RM.

• I do TOTALLY feel like this feature needs to happen NOW. And even make it "TOGGABLE". Maybe an option that lets users choose whether they want the system to remember within the same performance.

• I do TOTALLY feel like this feature needs to happen NOW. And even make it "TOGGABLE". Maybe an option that lets users choose whether they want the system to remember within the same performance.

Absolutely agree that IF this “feature” were to introduced it would NEED to be able to be toggled off as it would really screw up performance mode for a huge number of users (like myself).

Of course I can see some uses for it and understand why some people might like it so I’m not against the idea as long as it doesn’t stop us regular folks who wear tennis shoes or maybe the occasional python boot from being able to continue using performance mode as normal.

• As I see it ALL updates should be an option for users to use the new feature or keep it as before. As it is now when you press the store button in a performance you get the options either store the entire performance or just the actual rig. The same could easily be applied for Lock globaly or only in this performance. It’s just a logical string in a software update so the question is not if the competent programmers at Kemper can do this, but do they want to?

And if not, then why not? What is the benefit of NOT having this as an option?

• As I see it ALL updates should be an option for users to use the new feature or keep it as before. As it is now when you press the store button in a performance you get the options either store the entire performance or just the actual rig. The same could easily be applied for Lock globaly or only in this performance. It’s just a logical string in a software update so the question is not if the competent programmers at Kemper can do this, but do they want to?

And if not, then why not? What is the benefit of NOT having this as an option?

I think that it makes sense for some people though not so sure about the effort in coding and ease of use.
    Some questions I would think of if I would be a programmer at Kemper:

How would you decide what effects to lock? Would this need to align the same effects in the same slot in every rig of a performance to turn them permanently on or off? Or is it rather that the effect turned on will remain until you go back to the rig where the effect is located and you assigned a remote button to it? In other words would this need to assign effect buttons globally - in this case for each performance to be able to activate or deactivate within each slot? But as there are only four effect switches is it basically possible to assign more than four effects in a performance? I think many questions to think about in advance.

At least having the possibility to set global effect switches - in this case per performance -could be a good starter.

• Hi.

No need to think much or program much. Let me remind you again that this already works if the Rig Manager is connected. Try it. If you turn on the effect in Slot 3, for example, and then switch to another Slot and back, the effect will remain on even if it was originally stored in the off state. Only when switching to another Performance and back will the effects return to the originally saved state. All you have to do is program so that this function can be activated (or deactivated) even without the Rig Manager connected. In fact, I don't even understand why it hasn't been implemented for a long time, because it's obviously a very useful feature. And everyone could choose how they want to use it, according to their established habits.

• I think the issue (which Stefan alluded to) is that RM doesn’t have to deal with footswitch allocation at all whereas the Stage or Remote does. You have 8 spaces in Stomps and FX but only 4 footswitch buttons on the Remote. Therefore it is possible to have different button assignments in each Performance Slot which could create various logic conflicts. RM doesn’t need to bother about any of this though.

• I don't think there could be a problem with the footswitch. These must still be assigned to effects anyway. Even if, for example, the effect remains on in Slot 3 (but not in other Slots) while moving within Performance, the footswitch's allocation to the effect will not change. However, each effect can be repeatedly turned off and on with the soft key on the Kemper Stage or Remote, while the footwitch function and its assignment are not affected at all. So it is possible to change the state of the effects only through the software regardless of the footswitch.

• I think Kemper Amps assumed you would normally create a performance for every song in your setlist. In that regard, could you explain more about your requirements here?

I am not familiar with turning on and off FX for songs that I have prepared for a show at short notice: why would we need to do that? If you mean you just want to use that slot, could you not assign the delay and chorus to one of the footswitches and click on it once to toggle the FX on and off?

If you are thinking about it in a band jam context, I can understand it a bit more. This is akin to a pedalboard mode, where you change the amp sound, but the FX remain persistent. But even then, I think you will have to hit two buttons to turn off delay and chorus, unless you have it programmed like the Remote, where one button can toggle an effect on and off.

• nightlight,

For those of us who don't have a performance per song (lots and lots of work to maintain), but rather have banks of tones that are used generically across many songs, it is nice to have an effect or two that are optional within a given song.

The problem then becomes, you get to the song, select your general performance, and turn on a chorus (for example), but within the song there is another rig you need so you switch over to that rig. When you return to the original rig, your chorus is off now.

Someone above pointed out that this is exactly how the KPA works when the editor is on.

• In the end as far as I can see there are many different options players seem to need. One Button to rule all fx (avoiding stress board routing), but then the routing again is wanted and again the step dance?! For me this would be too complex. Eg. will the effect remain on only in a certain rig (due to effect routing) or will it be on in all rigs (lock function). Happening in Browse- and/or in performance-mode or is it rig or even slot specific?!

One question would be when is the rig/slot then reset or how can it be reset? Alle rigs or slots in a performance always have a stored base sound and with such feature there seems to be no base sound at all or the additional need to „reset“ all rigs before each new song?!

I do not interfere in the Kemper becoming more complex as long as there are no additional configurations I would have to be aware of and therefore the ease of use and quickness of a lot change will remain.

• Ah, I see, OneEng1. That makes sense.

You guys may have to go with another kind of midi controller for the time-being, I don't have any idea whether Kemper Amps will implement this on a war-footing. It would be a good idea.

A midi controller I can recommend is the Gordius Little Giant or Little Big Giant. You can programme it so that it remembers whether an effect was switched on or off in a preset even if you navigate away.

• "Keeping the changes of effect on/off when switching slots within a Performance until you switch to another Performance"

No, thank you. I want to know that when I choose a slot in a Performance - I know exactly what I'm going to hear regardless of what I might have done on-the-fly in a different slot.

I can see why some might want it, but not for me.

IF Kemper were to implement this, I would want permissions similar to the way Kone imprints are handled.

• A global switch to enable/disable it
    • A Performance level switch to enable/disable it for specific Performances regardless of the global switch setting