Inconsistent results when profiling my JP2C+

• Hello,

I'm a new Kemper user. I did a profile a couple months ago (my first one) and it was quite straight forward and sounds nearly identical. That was fantastic! Now I'm finally having some time to play with it again after some studio work, and I'm having the opposite experience - no matter what I do, I can't get the profile to sound accurate to the reference amp.

I'm trying to profile my Mesa JP2C+. The profile has 1) too much bass, 2) either too little gain or the gain structure itself is quite different.

Some things I tried, if it's helpful:

• I'm using the same set up as the previous profile I made, so I don't think it's a connection issue.
    • I've tried multiple guitars (6s and 7 strings), passive and active pickups. Same issues.
    • I've tried refining it several times: basic chords. Lots of hard transients. Lots of dissonant chords. Chugs. Single notes.
    • I've played around with the Tube Shape parameter and the Clarity parameter. It modifies the sound, but doesn't really get much closer to it.
    • I started the profile on OS7.5. After not being able to get it right, I tried to update to the latest OS as well, but having the same issues still.

More details on my setup:

• I use a load box with IRs (Boss TAE)
    • I'm routing things through my Apollo. I'm routing the output of the TAE imputes channel into the return of the Kemper. This means I'm not hearing it unless the reference amp is selected (my understanding anyways, so it should be a true A/B comparison..)
    • I don't have any effects turned on in the Kemper.

Any ideas on what could be skewing the results?

Thank you!

• Since you have a loadbox, is it an option for you to make a direct profile? Run this through an IR, maybe the results will be different? And have you tried to profile this amp through a real cab and mic?

• Since you have a loadbox, is it an option for you to make a direct profile? Run this through an IR, maybe the results will be different? And have you tried to profile this amp through a real cab and mic?

I suppose I could try that; the reason why I got the Kemper was primarily to duplicate my signal chains in the studio so trying to profile differently defeats the point a little bit.

From what I’m seeing (admittedly, I’m pretty ignorant about the product still so I hope I’m missing something) but it just isn’t profiling correctly.

Are there any settings that could have gotten messed up somehow? I’ll try to do a factory reset and see if that does anything.

• I suppose I could try that; the reason why I got the Kemper was primarily to duplicate my signal chains in the studio so trying to profile differently defeats the point a little bit.

you can still do this. Make a direct profile without the IR. Then drag the IR into Rig Manager Presets and place it in the Cab block of your Rig. You will now have the same end result but more flexibility as you can change cabs accurately at any time.

if this works you know the problem is related to the IR while profiling. If it doesn’t then you have now ruled out something else and can keep troubleshooting until you find the problem.