• Hi, I am totally new to this and after a week of ownership I am seriously considering returning my Kemper stage for a refund. I have the kemper stage plugged into decent kit in my studio and no matter what I do I can not find a clean sound that I am happy with, they all sound boxy and quacky in the mids and when I do an a/b comparison with a real amp I have to resist throwing the kemper out the window. I can find great sounds for rock, blues metal you name it but I play country and rockabilly and for that it just does not seem to cut it. I bought profile from pro's and to say I was disappointed is an understatement, no names but hey guys they are having a laugh, the brad paisley profiles were not even close and the Dr Z profiles sounded more like........ well. Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong? Am I expecting too much? Have I just bought the wrong piece of kit for me?

• Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum. Send me a PM here and I'll give you a couple of rigs that might get you going (all freebie rigs, no commercial ones).

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hi, Chris.

Welcome and congratulations on getting your Kemper Stage. I'm sorry you're not happy with the clean tones you're getting with the Profiles you have tried.

Have you tried creating a Profile of your clean amp?

You can find the instructions for doing that in the Kemper Manual.

Here's a link to the manual and some other essential resources.

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides

Rig Manager Download and Documentation

Kemper Tutorials & Demos

Cheers,

ST

• I always recommend the same thing:

Take one of your favorite records/cd's/mp3's and play it via the system you use to amplify your Kemper.

Do you like the sound?

No - get another FRFR system/Monitor/Hearphone... until you like it

Yes - you need other profiles to get your KPA to sound the way you like

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Hi Guys, Thanks for all your responses. I have been using my PA which I have got set up in the studio for reference as ultimately that is the way I intend to use the Kemper on live gigs. This consists of RCF Evox 8 Speakers running out of an Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 4 desk. I am running out of the Kemper on Balanced xlr's to the board. I am more than happy with the sound I get when I mic (sm57) my DrZ Maz18 on live gigs but I am trying to cut down on the amount and weight of kit that I carry been as I am getting older and weaker. I looked at smaller lighter amps but I could find nothing to compare with my Z. I also liked the idea of the versatility of the Kemper, the Z has a great tone but it is something of a one trick pony. I am not the kind of guy that would ever want more than about 6 really good tones max, trouble is after 40+ years as a pro player and the owner of some great amps I think I am more than a little spoilt when it come to tone but lugging around half a dozen heavy amps is not even a choice. I realise that there is going to have to be a degree of compromise but up to now I am not getting the sound I need to hear. As regards modelling my own amps that would be an option down the line but before I pass the point where I lose the option of returning the Kemper to my dealer I just want to hear one really good, authentic sounding clean tone that does not sound "synthetic", sorry couldn't think of a better word to describe what I am hearing. By the way I have also tried the Kemper through the desk in my studio into into my Genelec near field monitors and also my main monitors with the same results. Before any body suggests that I try using a separate power cab, that is not an option. I might as well carry my amp, the Kemper has to work through the PA or it is gone.

• Are you using the MIC or the Line In on the board?
    It's important to use the right input (KPA Main out to Board Line in as TRS Jack) use the -12db switch in the output menu.
    Also play a bit with Pur Cabinet and Space parameter in the output menu.

Be the force with you ;)

• Yeah thanks, already covered all these things and many more, I can still hear the synthetic fake amp sound that I don't like. I think at the end of the day I will never be happy with it because I am listening for whats wrong instead of hearing whats right. Decided to give it up as a bad job and take it back to the dealer. all the best, Chris

• For what it's worth I can't tell the difference between Kemper and tube amp cleans through the same speaker in blind tests. I usually pick the Kemper as the one that works best in a mix.