Mixing multiple amps !

• I believe more and more pro musicians are mixing and blending different amps to get their signature sound, just like John Mayer for instance. In future versions of the KPA, I'm sure it could be made possible. Food for thought.

• I believe more and more pro musicians are mixing and blending different amps to get their signature sound, just like John Mayer for instance. In future versions of the KPA, I'm sure it could be made possible. Food for thought.

You got my mind working now.
    I am a huge fan of parallel sounds, and effects. I use 2 similarly loaded pedalboards which are connected in parallel. The results of mixing these boards is awe inspiring, to say the least.
    I have owned the Boss GT-10, and Roland's VG-99. Both can mix two complete setups in parallel, but the amp modelling leaves me uninspired, thus, leading to the use of the two pedalboards( into 1, or two amps).
    Enter the KPA, which has replaced my amps, and is on it's way to replacing (most of)my pedalboard.

If the KPA could pull off running two rigs in parallel , this would unequivocally, become the "be all, end all" box for me.
    Until then, it will be one board into the KPA, and the second board into another amp,(or second KPA, when I sell off enough to get it).
    Why? Because , for me, I have to always have (at the very least), a certain level of clean tone mixed in with whatever I am playing, as a tonal reference point for both myself, and the listener.Especially with heavily distorted sounds. Just that hint of clean ,alongside the "chunk", is like lifting that imaginary blanket off the speaker, and the only way I have found to achieve this is with parallel effects/amps.

• I've seen some past discussions on the forum about Profile morphing. It seems I'm not the only one interested in dual or multiple sound setups... ;)

• I've seen some past discussions on the forum about Profile morphing. It seems I'm not the only one interested in dual or multiple sound setups... ;)

I am more than interested in it. Blending dual, parallel tones, is all I have been doing for more than 20 years.
    One tone, through one amp, just ain't happen'n here. :thumbup:

I'd like to see that happen too, it's nice to blend 2 amps to get some sounds.

• Let me make this clear, if we had the possibility of doing this, the KPA would kick anything and everything out of the game, because just imagine... think about this, Mr. CK! You have a great taste for ideas and surprises :thumbup:
    Another thing: if this ever happens, I'd love to be able to pan L/R and maybe use a little adjustable pre-delay between the 2 (4 8o ) amps.

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• Pan L/R for sure, but also other parameters that the pro's are using to blend the amps. Interaction also with the amp widener effect and stereo delays. I'm sure consultants working with Kemper will find the best tweaking options. It would then become a killer new feature to blow the competition away ! 8o

• I completely agree, I used a lot Boss units to mix amp and I create a lot of incredible and personal sounds. I believe that KPA with this feature can leave all the users astonished!!

Quote from richaxes

Let me make this clear, if we had the possibility of doing this, the KPA would kick anything and everything out of the game, because just imagine... think about this, Mr. CK! You have a great taste for ideas and surprises

We have all been on a search, and waiting for, that "All in One" piece of gear that will simplify our needs, plus inspire us at the same time.
    For the first time, we are, Oh, so close !
    I remember when I first came home with a GT-8. I was beside myself with excitement, thinking "finally", I can get rid of all those cables, and endless hours of connecting things in different orders.(Disappointed).
    Then, the GT-10, with it's dual chains of up to 12 effects, mixable.(Disappointed).
    The list just keeps going, with the only true satisfaction coming from pedals, and amps, and the endless hours of rig building to make that work.
    Not to mention, the endless quest for pedals, that will make your, 1 or 2 amp(s), sound like 5 or 6 different amps.
    Now, with the KPA, I don't need any overdrive, or distortion pedals anymore. Just pick any one of, hundreds of boutique high gain amps with the click of a footswitch. The only reason I had so many of these pedals, was to combine them in different configs in order to emulate these natural amp sounds.
    Finally, Game Over, for the overdrive/distortion part of the equation.
    The only part of the equation left is mixing/routing/effects, and we are almost there.
    If the" Alternative Input" were functional, I would be 95% there, because that would allow me to mix a second chain of (clean) tones along with a rig.
    Of course, the ideal situation would be to have two mixable chains (rigs), within the KPA, but with a working "Alternative Input" , I could achieve my needs. As it stands now, I would have to buy a second KPA (which, obviously doesn't make sense, as the "Alternative Input" will eventually be activated.) Or, just plug along ,splitting my clean chain off to either another amp, or to a mixer.Either way, I am still so close!
    This is a fun ride for sure.
    As I have said in previous posts, this is the first piece of gear , in over 40yrs of this insanity, that still has me excited about waking up, and plugging in!
    As stated above, the KPA is right on the edge of literally, "kicking anything and everything out of the game".

Edited once, last by imall41 ().

• Why? Because , for me, I have to always have (at the very least), a certain level of clean tone mixed in with whatever I am playing, as a tonal reference point for both myself, and the listener.Especially with heavily distorted sounds. Just that hint of clean ,alongside the "chunk", is like lifting that imaginary blanket off the speaker, and the only way I have found to achieve this is with parallel effects/amps.

I suspect that running two rigs simultaneously would take too much computing power for the existing KPA. However, if a mixture of the clean tone is what you're after, then perhaps that might be possible with the existing box - an option that takes the sound minus any OD stomps and gain and blends in at some percentage?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I suspect that running two rigs simultaneously would take too much computing power for the existing KPA. However, if a mixture of the clean tone is what you're after, then perhaps that might be possible with the existing box - an option that takes the sound minus any OD stomps and gain and blends in at some percentage?

I believe it is already in the "Box", just not activated yet. The "Alternative Input", which, right now, is only useable as a stereo loop return, I believe, is eventually meant for mixing a second source with the KPA's output, and if it enters the KPA chain post-amp, then I am set.

• This is certainly a very practical option, and would need no more power crunching and no big code rewriting.

The only reason why a real amp mixing might never happen would IMO be because of the demand of a too high processing power. It might then happen with a future HW release.

In case there's enough CPU for this, I add my vote for Eng. Kemper to think of it: it would push forward KPA's flexibility by a huge step, and would be revolutionary as the KPA itself, since nowadays those who want to mix amps and don't want/can't have to do with the real ones have to rely on modellers ;) :P

But, as we're discussing here, the option of an external computer program would be certainly doable, and would be a huge step towards the final result, even tho not as much flexible as a real-time, inbuilt solution.

• Sorry, I must have messed up with the lines... now my previous post is correct and yes, of course I was trying to refer to rig mixing :S
    If you feel like, feel free to edit yours consequently... it might be more comfortable for future readers ;)

As for the Alternative Input, it accepts line-level signals, and its workflow enters the signal chain at loop (stomp) level. So

• its potential uses depend on where you place the loop. Basically, it seems to carry the "Left" return from a stereo external processor;

• in order for it to provide an alternative, unprocessed guitar signal you should use a split cable/box, then a DI box (for a proper level/impedance matching) to the Alternative input. This way the DI signal will not be processed by the profiled amp tho, it will more likely sound like a guitar into the mixer (via a DI).

Kemper has announced the possibility to place the X stomp before the amp. This will give the user the possibility to have the Alternative input processed by the profile. OTOH, it won't help getting a clean and a distorted sound in parallel, unless the distortion is got via a dist or OD pedal after a clean amp.

Hope what I wrote sounds clear enough, I'm just thinking out loud :)

• Profile mixing would be awesome!!!

I would like also to be able to use 2 different cabinets for the same amp, I guess the equivalent of being able to lock the editing of the amplifier section, but using different cabinet.

Using the page system could work quite well to edit and blend the profiles together.

However, in terms of parallel effects pipeline I care less, the editing is becoming quite tedious when having to handle parallel effects pipeline.

• Kemper has announced the possibility to place the X stomp before the amp. This will give the user the possibility to have the Alternative input processed by the profile. OTOH, it won't help getting a clean and a distorted sound in parallel, unless the distortion is got via a dist or OD pedal after a clean amp.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of any external input, but simply a means for mixing the clean signal of the current profile with the processed signal, with a percentage mix variable.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer