Cant find a decent clean tone for Country or rockabilly, Is it just me?

• Hi Guys, Thanks for all your responses. I have been using my PA which I have got set up in the studio for reference as ultimately that is the way I intend to use the Kemper on live gigs. This consists of RCF Evox 8 Speakers running out of an Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 4 desk. I am running out of the Kemper on Balanced xlr's to the board. I am more than happy with the sound I get when I mic (sm57) my DrZ Maz18 on live gigs but I am trying to cut down on the amount and weight of kit that I carry been as I am getting older and weaker. I looked at smaller lighter amps but I could find nothing to compare with my Z. I also liked the idea of the versatility of the Kemper, the Z has a great tone but it is something of a one trick pony. I am not the kind of guy that would ever want more than about 6 really good tones max, trouble is after 40+ years as a pro player and the owner of some great amps I think I am more than a little spoilt when it come to tone but lugging around half a dozen heavy amps is not even a choice. I realise that there is going to have to be a degree of compromise but up to now I am not getting the sound I need to hear. As regards modelling my own amps that would be an option down the line but before I pass the point where I lose the option of returning the Kemper to my dealer I just want to hear one really good, authentic sounding clean tone that does not sound "synthetic", sorry couldn't think of a better word to describe what I am hearing. By the way I have also tried the Kemper through the desk in my studio into into my Genelec near field monitors and also my main monitors with the same results. Before any body suggests that I try using a separate power cab, that is not an option. I might as well carry my amp, the Kemper has to work through the PA or it is gone.:(

• Maybe try some of the Martin Suijs rigs on the Rig Exchange. In Rig Manager you can sort by the Author column to easily find them. He's got a nice range of stuff from clean to drive with a 68 Marshall, 64 Fender Deluxe and a 64 Bassman.

Or if you've got other rigs close but not quite what you're looking for, you could try changing the cabinet. That can make a huge difference. There are several under the Preset section or you can also use the cabinet from any other rig.

• MBritt plays country music for a living with Lonestar and makes lots of Kemper profiles (both commercial and also he has a pack for Kemper).

Checking out his page is worthwhile.... he has tons of sound examples on there so you can see what you think. Also, he's thought of as a really nice guy - he might be able to give an opinion on what works for him live if you get in touch.

WELCOME TO M BRITT PROFILES - mbrittprofiles

• Hi Chris, as Don says above try profiling your amp ...bear in mind that you hear the whole chain in a profile (amp/speaker/mic/preamp if used) so it will sound the same as your amp would mic’d and played through the control room monitors or PA ...

I too have for 30 odd years and have played through many many great amps ...the kemper is the best yet

Regarding your Maz 18 ...Tone Junkie did a good take on it and there are the official DR Z pack...personally when I’m doing Rockabilly or Jump Swing style I use a 60’s Bassman profile with tape echo and spring reverb before the amp section ...for country I use a Matchless or Fender twin profile with a comp and slap delay/reverb to taste ....

Try playing with the definition control as well

Hope you find what you’re looking for

• Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement but I have decided the Kemper is not for me, however many profiles I listen to, Buy, Try, Tweek, They all sound "artificial" somehow to my ears, Tried profiling my amp and it was no worse and no better than the official Dr Z profiles which I bought,I also bought some Paisley tones off a Pro country guy in the states, they were an utter joke. So, no more wasted time or money, the Kemper is back in the box and back to the dealer tomorrow, once I get my refund I will buy some Gym equipment and get into training so that I can continue to carry my amps!

Big Thanks to all that tried to help, cheers, Chris.

• Before you sell the KPA do the test I always recommend:

Play some of your favorite music thru your monitor system.

Play some of the many KPA demo files from profile sellers via your monitor system.

Do you like the sound?

No - not a KPA/profile problem - you need to change your monitor system

Yes - KPA/profile problem - check out other profiles

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de