Correct SPDIF settings?

• Connecting my Kemper to my focusrite scarlett via SPDIF.

How do I set them up correctly as master/slave?

In the focusrite I can set up the source as SPDIF. Inside the Kemper there's a setting called "auto" but once you press it the field says "internal". Should internal be marked or not? Of simpler said, should I read the word "auto" or "internal"?

Thanks!

• When you have a new Kemper, you have two options. I have an old one, which only functions as slave: Kemper is master, the Focusrite clock is synced via SPDIF. You could also choose the other option, where the Kemper is slave (auto?) and the Focusrite clock is internal.

Make sure the frequencies match (for example both are 44.1 kHz) and you should be good to go! Check the output settings to see what the Kemper is sending over SPDIF, there are a lot of options there.

• When you have a new Kemper, you have two options. I have an old one, which only functions as slave: Kemper is master, the Focusrite clock is synced via SPDIF. You could also choose the other option, where the Kemper is slave (auto?) and the Focusrite clock is internal.

Make sure the frequencies match (for example both are 44.1 kHz) and you should be good to go! Check the output settings to see what the Kemper is sending over SPDIF, there are a lot of options there.

Hi, yes I get all of that. But it's not clear when the Kemper really is the Master. Do I need to read the word "auto" or the word "internal"? It's very confusing since the text on the button changes once you press it. It's not like you activate "auto" or "internal" but the field changes its information.

• I read both the manual and your replies and neither address my simple question.
    It is not clear from the Kemper when internal is activated or not since the text in the screen for the button changes. My two photos show this clearly.

• Connecting my Kemper to my focusrite scarlett via SPDIF.

How do I set them up correctly as master/slave?

In the focusrite I can set up the source as SPDIF. Inside the Kemper there's a setting called "auto" but once you press it the field says "internal". Should internal be marked or not? Of simpler said, should I read the word "auto" or "internal"?

Thanks!

excuse my ignorance but what is the idea to use the Kemper as master or slave?

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• Hey there Kemperites. Where is the setting in the Profiler/Head unit to set the SPDIF to "slave" on the Kemper? Do you need a specific OS to have this setting? I am just about ot upgrade to the new 8.0.5 OS. Thanks.

Check out my photos in post #5 of this thread. Page 6/9 in the output section. You can choose between internal and auto. According to the replies here, you want to set it to auto if another device shall be the master.

• I just did the update and all seems well but when I set my interface (Focusrite 18i8 gen2) the internal @ 48kHz and the Kemper to Auto and 48kHz they both say they are locked but I get the old clicking noise. If I set it back to Kemper as the master then it works but it kind of defeats the purpose. I also tried it at 44.1kHz and it seems to work with Focusrite as the master and Kemper as the slave. What's going on here? Shouldn't it work at all sample rates as long as they match?

• Why?, if I may ask. What’s the problem with having the Kemper be the master?

It's just a little inconvenient when working in my studio. I have a couple of different interfaces and the interface is always the master (I need to buy a nice mater clock but I digress...). When I want to record guitar I have to switch the SPDIF input to look at the Kemper. It's nice not to have to do that or worry about it. In the past I have forgotten and gotten pops and crackles on the tracks which is not acceptable as you can imagine. Good job Kemper!