KPA Firmware 1.1.0 running PowerAmp/Cab sounds great!

• Hi all,

I loaded up my KPA with the latest beta firmware and based on Guitarnet70's hints of change in this area, plugged in to my Matrix GT800FX and Marshall 1936 Cab. I played through around 20-30 rigs with the cab bypassed (on the monitor out) before finally settling on one of the new JCM2000 profiles I downloaded from the rig exchange for about 1 hour of playing along with the new Slash album.

firstly the JCM2000 CH2 profile is great!

Secondly, my impressions were that everything sounds better using this method, I don't know what, if anything, has changed here but if you run this way I would certainly give it a try and see what you think. I tested everything from Rectifiers, Marshalls, Diezels, Fenders, Bogners, Vox everything sounded good. Before, if there was a lot of effect by the Mic placement or speaker type then this seemed to drastically affect the tone when running PA/Cab, the effect of this now seems less. The difference between DI profiles and regular profiles was much less also in this setup.

I guess this could be placebo effect I guess as there is no mention in the release notes and I didn't really fancy rolling back the firmware version just to check, all I care about is that it sounds great as is and I am very grateful to the developers for there work in this area :thumbup:

Cheers

Spence

• Hi all,

I loaded up my KPA with the latest beta firmware and based on Guitarnet70's hints of change in this area, plugged in to my Matrix GT800FX and Marshall 1936 Cab. I played through around 20-30 rigs with the cab bypassed (on the monitor out) before finally settling on one of the new JCM2000 profiles I downloaded from the rig exchange for about 1 hour of playing along with the new Slash album.

firstly the JCM2000 CH2 profile is great!

Was this the new Profiles posted by Ashley Lane?

EDIT: Just checked, yes, it must be...Ashley will be happy to hear that. :)

• Just to try it out, Ive been running monitor out (no cab) to matrix poweramp/5150 cab and at the same time running the main outs to a pair of QSC K12s (with the cab sim on). Wow, its just incredible. Surround sound doesn't do it justice. I can see what Christoph means about leaving a bit of the cab sound in with the monitor outs as together with the main outs they work very well indeed.

• Just to try it out, Ive been running monitor out (no cab) to matrix poweramp/5150 cab and at the same time running the main outs to a pair of QSC K12s (with the cab sim on). Wow, its just incredible. Surround sound doesn't do it justice. I can see what Christoph means about leaving a bit of the cab sound in with the monitor outs as together with the main outs they work very well indeed.

So we have the best of both worlds now, main outs to FRFR with the added CK "magic juice", and Monitor Outs/no Cab to poweramp and cab.

Things are changing very quickly. :)