Feedback request regarding design of a potential second Morphing

• The only interest for me would be volume, although I tend to boost volume at different levels for each slot and so not much of a need for this to be "global".

For reverb and delay mix, for example, this is less useful for me because:

1) I don't maintain vast numbers of performances and slots and therefore having a global morph is of little advantage

2) I don't need multiple morphs - I tend to use morph as an "additional" slot and so morph multiple parameters at once.

Also note I only use Morph via the switch for instant changes, not through an expression pedal.

This is just me though, I can see people with a more complex use case having a need though.

I really appreciate the reach out into the community!

• The way I see it:

Morphing on one hand allows for very creative sound morphing (as the name implies) which contains any number of parameters that the user sees fit for morphing. Delay mix and reverb mix are only 2 parameters that get frequent use in this scenario.

OTOH there are many users who ADDITIONALLY need independent specific control over a specific subset of parameters (e.g. delay mix or reverb mix as in the scenario above or a volume control of a certain kind).

Therefore I would find it most useful if we could control (in addition to what's already possible) another subset of parameters independently from the Morphing as we know it.

In your example with the delay mix assigned to "Morph 1" another "Morph 2" could control delay mix as well (plus other parameters potentially) but Morph 2 would override Morph 1.

There would only be one rule:

IF a parameter is morph controlled by both Morph 1 and 2, Morph 2 overrides Morph 1.

• How to make:

Morph-1 to control all Stack parameters (gain/amp settings/eq /cab).

Morph-2 to control all Effect parameters in the 4 blocks after the Stack.

That way you can use Morph-2 to adjust Del/rev mix, but also Del time/Rev Decay time.

One ex. could be Morph-2 Heal position = Short Rev/Del Decay/time and mix, and Toe position = Long Rev/Del time and high effect mix.

That way could use one Browser preset or Performance slots to do both slow ballad setting and fast song setting.

Also if you make it possible to link Morph-1 and Morph-2 pr. Rig,

You could get the same as just to have one pedal morph all you parameters like it is today.

For that would be Heaven... :)

Kemper Stage, KPA head, Remote, JH Audio Lola IEM, Shure PSM 900 wireless System, L-Acoustics 108P active FRFR monitor.

• It would be best to not limit a 2nd morph. Why not give it all the same options as the existing morph to maximise the possibilities for the user.

I think it would add unneeded complication to split the existing functionality between 2 morphs, i.e. morph1 can no longer control delay/reverb mix, for example.

There would only be one rule:

IF a parameter is morph controlled by both Morph 1 and 2, Morph 2 overrides Morph 1.

Would it not be more intuitive to have the last used morph (expression pedal or switch) as the dominant one (unless both are used at the same time) ? I know this might be in the context of having a global morph, but I'm just thinking in terms on individual rigs.

• How to make:

Morph-1 to control all Stack parameters (gain/amp settings/eq /cab).

Morph-2 to control all Effect parameters in the 4 blocks after the Stack.

Please don’t limit any Morph to control whatever a user sees fit.

If you want to use it in the way you describe above, you can.

But personally I wouldn’t want to use it this way.

• These players in the videos control delay mix via pedal. That application is no real suprise and can be achieved with our Morphing. If you lock the DLY module, your delay even becomes global. The videos don't directly make a case for needing something like Morphing on top of a delay mix pedal. Actually these traditional analog floor board setups shown in the videos cannot simultaneously morph parameters across various stomp boxes and amp and cab at all.

• That could imply parameter jumps. Let's assume: Morph 1 controls Delay Mix between 30 and 60% while Morph 2 controls Delay Mix between 30 and 10%. Current state is 50% and now you move Morph Pedal 2. I guess , a kind of soft catch would be needed OR each parameter can only belong to one Morphing within a Rig. As soon as Delay Mix is included in Morph 1, it cannot be included in Morph 2 and vice verse.

• You are bringing up another interesting aspect.

I'm wondering how many users are requesting another pedal to continuously control Delay Mix, because Morphing is already occupied for switching functions beyond the four Effect Buttons, which is a kind of bi-product of Morphing, not its primary purpose.

• IngoRockt. "How will you act, when you want to morph eq, rig volume and delay-mix in one step?"

Also if you make it possible to link Morph-1 and Morph-2 pr. Rig,

You could get the same as just to have one pedal morph all you parameters like it is today.

Kemper Stage, KPA head, Remote, JH Audio Lola IEM, Shure PSM 900 wireless System, L-Acoustics 108P active FRFR monitor.

• These players in the videos control delay mix via pedal. That application is no real suprise and can be achieved with our Morphing. If you lock the DLY module, your delay even becomes global. The videos don't directly make a case for needing something like Morphing on top of a delay mix pedal. Actually these traditional analog floor board setups shown in the videos cannot simultaneously morph parameters across various stomp boxes and amp and cab at all.

Sure, fair point. I didn't address the fact that I need and use morphing already to other more demanding and important things (special fx or other multifunction secondary applications) so much so that I don't want to "sacrifice" it to this relatively simple task, because I thought many have said it already.

For sure there is nothing morphing going on in the vids, they were more to demonstrate how PROs are having master fx level controller in addition to preset changing setups. Morphing is KPA (or digital domain) specific thing which is heavily used already and could be improved even further.

• Ignore me, if I did understand everything wrong.

As I understood, we have a per rig morph and you want to give us a global morph.

To globaly change all sorts of variables in certain steps. All reverbs +10% whatever relative to original (or morphed value).
    That would be simply great, as long as it is free like morphing, or even more free.

I tend to use several things exactly the same over different rigs. Same cab (but different amp eq), same reverb, same transpose (!).
    I really would like to have global (relative) morphing features. In my control logic this would simplify some things. Some things I still didn´t think about :))

my point is: if you have in Rig A a reverb and delay and in Rig B two delays and no reverb in the last two slots, what happens?

Or do you plan to have only such things like mixparameter morphable globally and they are connected to a certain slot? Like in Rig A you´ve got delay and in rig B you´ve got reverb in the last slot and glob.morph. changes the mix of that effect slot (whatever fx that is). Fascinating idea.

(I don´t use pedals, my playstyle only needs the switches (love it!) on the remote for morphing and things).
    Would it be possible to morph rig transpose? Example: from -4 to 0 glabally? Uuuuuuhhhh that would be soooooo nice. (or can it be already locked at least? I dont´know...)

• The idea of global morphing is slightly different. It is related to global parameters. Parameters which are not stored in Rigs e.g. Looper Volume or Monitor Output Volume. This would be logically seperated from the Morphing of Rig-specific parameters that we have today. No overlap.

I can also not imagine how a global Morphing of Rig-specific parameters would work, while the corresponding modules are not locked.

Example: you have a Phaser in module D, set up Rate for Morphing, and then load another Rig with a distortion effect in module D. What is this Rate Morphing now supposed to do? I guess, the only logical approach is to lock a module, in this example module D. Now the Phaser sticks including its morphing. So you can always morph its Rate. But this is, how it works today already.

The idea of a global Morphing of Delay Mix and Reverb Mix includes the introduction of two additional global parameters: Delay Mix Offset and Reverb Mix Offset. The Rigs would stay as they are today and could include any kind of delay and reverb effects in any combination and order. But there would be an additional capapability to decrease or increase the delay and reverb mixes using these new offset parameters.

Example: You have a Rig with a delay in module DLY, Mix at 30%. The global Delay Mix Offset is at default 0. What you hear is 30%. Now you crank up Delay Mix Offset to +10. Now both are adding up and you hear a cumulated delay mix of 40%. If you now load another Rig with a delay in module DLY, which has Delay Mix at 50%, you effectively hear 50+10=60%. You could also decrease by selecting a negative value for Delay Mix Offset. If you load another Rig with an empty module DLY, the offset has no effect. These two new global parameters Delay Mix Offset and Reverb Mix Offset could also be included in a global Morphing as described at the beginning.

• That could imply parameter jumps. Let's assume: Morph 1 controls Delay Mix between 30 and 60% while Morph 2 controls Delay Mix between 30 and 10%. Current state is 50% and now you move Morph Pedal 2. I guess , a kind of soft catch would be needed OR each parameter can only belong to one Morphing within a Rig. As soon as Delay Mix is included in Morph 1, it cannot be included in Morph 2 and vice verse.

Sure, but ATM there's already a soft catch in place with the current Morph.

Imagine you call up a new rig with its base sound while the dedicated Morph pedal is fully toe-wise . Now rock the pedal only a little heel-wise and Morph will catch up from base sound to almost full Morph sound.

This is no counter- argument to me.

• ok. Understand. Morph things that you cannot morph now.

Global add/subtract % of reverb or delay mix. Cool. I would use that often.

There must be other global setting that make sense if they are morphable globally!

add/subtract global transpose by x :) for example. :*

• Burkhard sorry to be so late to the party but I have literally only just seen this thread this morning. As one of the more vocal supporters of this kind of function I am delighted to hear that you are giving it serious consideration. Here are a few quick thoughts.

1 - yes the Timmons and Thorn analog examples could be achieved with the current morphing functionality but that would also remove the ability to use morphing for something else such as Gain plus EQ, or EQ plus Boost etc. Morph groups would allow both in real time on the same rig.

2 - many posts so far seem to assume a “wet mix group” logic which links delay and reverb. I would rather this wasn’t coded forced on the user. What if I want to have one morph pedal control delay mix and a separate pedal control reverb mix? In real time I could change the balance between reverb and delay. If reverb and delay were linked the only way to achieve something similar would be to assign one pedal to both delay and reverb mix level and add a bland parameter which could be assigned to a second pedal.

3 - should settings carry over or reset? Let the user decide on a rig by rig basis. Surely a logic could be programmed that says “if an effect is in use in one rig AND a newly selected rig, retain settings. If effect not in new rig reset (actually irrelevant but reset to avoid any surprises with a future rig selection)”. However, users could have a soft button that acts like a “rest midi notes” command and overrides any hanging settings.

With my old analog rig which was controlled by an RJM Mastermind PBC it was possible to assign pretty much any midi command (or multiple commands) to any switch or expression pedal. This was an amazingly powerful system but was way above my level in terms of programming most of the time. Even with the fantastic editor software I often felt like I needed a degree in computer coding to achieve what I wanted. The simplicity of the Kemper’s Morph functions blew me away. Obviously I wouldn’t want any added features to make Morphing as complicated as traditional midi controllers but I think a good balance is possible.

I think my preferred option would be two Morph Groups that have the same sort of functionality and user interface. Group A and B can each be set up exactly like the existing Morph feature. While I can understand the argument that a second Morph group may have been too complex in the old days, now that we have visual editing functionality in Rig Manager it would be great to have a morph summary page which clearly shows what is linked to each pedal.

• For my needs, a simple approach would be way more than adequate - have two separate morphs, and any given parameter could be assigned to either of these morphs, but not both. This would allow me to use one for volume and gain (rhythm vs lead), and the other for any effects.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Regarding item 2 of Wheresthedug...

It's not clear to me, how this Delay Mix pedal is exactly supposed to work.

Is it supposed to directly control the Delay Mix within the DLY module across its full range from 0% - 100% (wet),

or within a defined range and if so range defined by Rig or globally,

or could it be an offset as described above, which affects all delay effects within the Rig?

You make a case for a Morphing Pedal plus a dedicated Delay Mix Pedal plus a dedicated Reverb Mix Pedal, and you probably use a Volume Pedal. What about Wah? At that point you are running out of PEDAL-sockets. This appears as an absolute corner case to me. If your role model is an analog rig with that many pedals, where every component can be switched on/off and each pedal and switch sticks globally, then the Remote might be the wrong foot controller for you, because it is fundamentally based on a Rig-switching philosophy plus extentions (Effect Buttons, Morphing and Locking). Introducing three Morphing layers would be a complete overkill and overwhelm the vast majority of users. In such corner cases the solution might be, keep using a universal MIDI footcontroller like your RJM. The number of pedals is only limited by the pedal sockets of that foot controller and the PROFILER supports to control nearly any parameter via NRPN. There is nothing wrong with that.

My objective here is to identify a "center of gravity" how we can cover some unfullfilled needs with an enhancement, that doesn't introduce too much complexity burdon for everybody and nicely fits into the existing philosophy.

• For my needs, a simple approach would be way more than adequate - have two separate morphs, and any given parameter could be assigned to either of these morphs, but not both. This would allow me to use one for volume and gain (rhythm vs lead), and the other for any effects.

Do you need two pedals to continuously shift parameters? Or is at least one Morphing layer dedicated to instant (without ramp) parameter switching via button?

• Videos!!!!!

I would like to have access to examples in videos of what others did with their 2nd morph (and other things related).

That way I can go "oooooohhhhh I seeeeee now"... ;););)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user