New Ibanez GSR200 Bass works with Helix but Not Kemper

• This is my first forum post.

After many years I finally purchased my first Bass, an Ibanez GSR200, to use for recording songs (the bass simulations were not quite right).

I've been happily using my Kemper Stage with normal 6 string guitars without any issue.

I grabbed some Bass profiles, loaded them up, plugged in the Ibanez and nothing. No tuning indication lights either.

I plugged it into my Helix and it played without any issues through the default Helix Bass profiles. I also tried some Kemper guitar profiles I use regularly with the same result, no sound.

Plugged a regular guitar back in and no problems.

Is this some kind of resistance issue with the Ibanez or am I doing something else wrong?

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

James from South Australia.

• Welcome from Melbourne James! 8)

I can only think of two possibilities, mate:

1) Is it possible you plugged into the headphone input when switching to the bass?

2) Are you using the same lead? If not, please try this. It's rare, but I've experienced situations where certain jack plugs don't quite make contact properly (at the tip I think, due to its being too-round or too-pointy) with a device's sockets and yet they'll be fine on another.

• I used the same lead I had plugged into a guitar that was working just fine and then simply swapped it out for the for the bass, i.e. no change on the Kemper end.

I'll try some other leads and see if that changes things but using the same lead to then try the Helix worked fine in that configuration.

It is puzzling :)

• It is puzzling :)

Indeed it is, mate.

Is this some kind of resistance issue with the Ibanez or am I doing something else wrong?

I didn't answer this one 'cause I can't see it being an issue, FWIMBW.

The fact that it works with the Helix tells me you should just be able to plug in and play. Also, Kemper says its input is designed to cover a wide range of possible pickup strengths.

• I don't know and cannot imagine a scenario, that the PROFILER doesn't work with a particular bass, while the same bass works with other devices and the PROFILER works with other instruments. That makes no sense. Generally, make sure your PROFILER Stage runs a current OS version.

• Hi All,

Here is the update.

Battery is fine, I swapped it for a new one (tested) and I see no switch, nor does the ridiculously scant manual mention one.

Tried a different cable. 6 String fine, Bass nothing (same patch: Dumble MB)

Used that same cable to plug into my MOTU M4, picked up the Bass without any problem.

I noticed that when I plugged in the Bass the Tuner LEDS no longer displayed so it is as if the Kemper is not even seeing the Bass or getting a signal it doesn't understand.

I'm guessing that this seems to be limited to the new Bass I purchased <sigh>

If anyone knows someone with a Kemper and and Ibanez SR (not GSR) 200 that works fine (or not) that may explain it.

Any other suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Best Regards,

James.

• Here is some more info:

I put a Keely Compressor in between the bass and the input jack on the Kemper (I just grabbed that one at random)

With the Keely pedal on, the bass sound comes through perfectly for any patch.

When I turn it off (bypass) I lose the signal

There is something about the signal the Bass is sending that is not being recognised by the Kemper?

• Is the impedance of the bass output so high it's not recognized by the kemper as because the input signal is too low ?

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Tried that. Made sure it was looking at Return 1/2, cranked the knob to 10. Still no sound.

Which knob did you crank? Master Volume is not Aux In Mix.

You need to crank the Aux In Mix corresponding to the output that you use for monitoring. You find the three Aux In Mixes in the output section.

• Yes as suggested I adjusted the Aux In > Main and "Use Return 1/2 as Aux Input" was displayed ( I also tried that Aux In > Monitor)

At this point rather than a random pedal like the Compressor I was thinking of getting a "Passive Direct Injection Box - DI Box" e.g. the one they sell at Swamp Industries here (https://www.swamp.net.au/) to see if that handles what appears to be an impedance matching issue for me?

• I once had an issue with a bad manufactured cable. With activated LEHLE sunday driver (used not to boost volume) everything was fine. Are you using an active guitar? Did you try different instrument cables?

• This is really interesting. I assume the Keeley is not set to extreme boost or something.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Thanks for the comments.

Yes I tried multiple cables (I'm also an IT guy :) )

The Bass has an active (battery powered circuit)

I set the Keeley to its minimum settings (max dry in the mix etc.) just to act as an intermediary and as a pedal.

I tried a Mooer Yellow mini pedal at minimum with the same results: on bass came through, bypass, nothing.

• This is beyond weird.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM