Volume difference between guitars (anyone use a pedal in front of Kemper)?

• My main guitars are Strats but I want to incorporate a Les Paul into our set list. As most of you know there is a pretty big difference in the pickup output between the guitars. I am considering putting an Exotics RC Clean boost pedal in from of the Kemper and reducing the output on the pedal and using the pedal's EQ to run the Les Paul. Has anyone tried this by using some kind of clean boost or EQ pedal? My plan is to just kick on the pedal when using the Les Paul and back off when using the Strats.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• You can use an expression pedal to adjust input volume. In Rig preferences you see "volume pedal settings" and can change the location to "input" and set the range to your liking. So pedal up one guitar, down the other guitar.

I also used a cheap Donner Boost Killer Pedal (Xotic RC Booster clone) too. But the solution above was better if you want zero colouring of the sound.

• You can use an expression pedal to adjust input volume. In Rig preferences you see "volume pedal settings" and can change the location to "input" and set the range to your liking. So pedal up one guitar, down the other guitar.

I also used a cheap Donner Boost Killer Pedal (Xotic RC Booster clone) too. But the solution above was better if you want zero colouring of the sound.

I didn't think aboutt that I already use a volume pedal set for output to control overall volume and also lead boost,I wonder if I can have 2 volume pedals, one for input and one for output?

• Thanks everyone for your feedback, the way I have my performances set up is one profile per song, most of the stuff I use the Les Paul on will be for our heavier stuff so setting up a separate profile or 2 for it wouldn't be the worst thing either. I was just being lazy and wanted an easy hit a button type of fix.

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• As an external pedal-phobe I would avoid this route. You can do the same thing is so many ways on the KPA and avoid the hassle of plugging in a pedal ( patch leads, power, colouration....yuk).

For me, I don't like the variable control of using and expression becuase your ears change during a gig and you progressively get louder and louder to compensate and it becomes a balancing act. Therefore a preset volume increase or reduction I feel is better, which you can do with a pure boost.

For me, I use 2 performances as I have to balance a Les Paul and a Gretsch. The advantage is you can also adjust all other parameters to taste as well e.g. eq and gain.

• As an external pedal-phobe I would avoid this route. You can do the same thing is so many ways on the KPA and avoid the hassle of plugging in a pedal ( patch leads, power, colouration....yuk).

For me, I don't like the variable control of using and expression becuase your ears change during a gig and you progressively get louder and louder to compensate and it becomes a balancing act. Therefore a preset volume increase or reduction I feel is better, which you can do with a pure boost.

For me, I use 2 performances as I have to balance a Les Paul and a Gretsch. The advantage is you can also adjust all other parameters to taste as well e.g. eq and gain.

I know what you mean, I have tried a couple of pedals in front, one was a feedback pedal and the other an overdrive but I took them both out because it wasn't worth the extra effort and I found I don't really need or use them. I do have 3 expression pedals, I use them for wah, post volume and gain. I like having a performance per song so I can save delays, chorus etc.. if I need them but I really only use a few settings anyway. I think I will take the advice of setting separate up performances for the Les Paul.

• I know what you mean, I have tried a couple of pedals in front, one was a feedback pedal and the other an overdrive but I took them both out because it wasn't worth the extra effort and I found I don't really need or use them. I do have 3 expression pedals, I use them for wah, post volume and gain. I like having a performance per song so I can save delays, chorus etc.. if I need them but I really only use a few settings anyway. I think I will take the advice of setting separate up performances for the Les Paul.

Maybe doesn't suit you but I also avoid the 1 profile/performance per song as its an admin nightmare, and only have this by exception i.e. I use 1 performance with 1 band, although 1 of those slots is for a specific song as it has specific effects ( talkbox...thanks paults ), but I know many people have more complexity in their songs.

in toehr words I treat my KPA like a mutlichannel amp - effectively 10 channels ( if you include Morph), each "channel" can be a different amp plus up to 8 effects per channel...that's way plenty for me - I'm a simple guitarist :)

• Maybe doesn't suit you but I also avoid the 1 profile/performance per song as its an admin nightmare, and only have this by exception i.e. I use 1 performance with 1 band, although 1 of those slots is for a specific song as it has specific effects ( talkbox...thanks paults ), but I know many people have more complexity in their songs.

in toehr words I treat my KPA like a mutlichannel amp - effectively 10 channels ( if you include Morph), each "channel" can be a different amp plus up to 8 effects per channel...that's way plenty for me - I'm a simple guitarist :)

I actually bought the Kemper to make things easier but then like I always do I complicated it by having different profiles for different songs and 3 expression pedals. Most of the songs use the same settings. I use an iPad and Band Helper to switch between them via Bluetooth and I love that feature. The other day I plugged straight into my Mesa and it sounded great so it has me rethinking everything now. I might go back to a simple setup like you have. Do you use a volume pedal at all?

• I actually bought the Kemper to make things easier but then like I always do I complicated it by having different profiles for different songs and 3 expression pedals. Most of the songs use the same settings. I use an iPad and Band Helper to switch between them via Bluetooth and I love that feature. The other day I plugged straight into my Mesa and it sounded great so it has me rethinking everything now. I might go back to a simple setup like you have. Do you use a volume pedal at all?

I think this is a big trap - just because you can have 125 performances shouldn't mean you do but I see why you get dragged into that :)

One of the reasons I bought the KPA was actually to make it easier to use, I have no outboard gear, use 4 performances across 2 bands max. I love it that I only have to plug in power for the KPA, 1 lead to the remote and speaker cable. I then plug in the PA XLR, I switch on my wireless and boom! I try to treat it like a flexible regular amp, not a limitless digital tone generator to keep me sane!

I do use a volume pedal but only for 2 things:

1) Tailing off volume in some passages in songs

2) switching tuner...as an occasional alternative to the tuner button.

I don;t use it to clean up sounds or boosting for solos. I'd rather use guitar volume and morph ( switch) for boosts or a dedicated solo slot.

• I feel that trap like V8guitar mentioned always tugging at me. I have basically 4 fav profiles now to move into my performance. 2 high-gain, 1 crunch, and 1 clean. It's hard to look at all those blinking knobs and not want to create more. I was the same way with pedals and tube amps -so many options but it always comes down in the end to "set it and forget it".

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• i was actually about to start a poll about volume pedals. I feel somewhat inadequate that I don’t use one and I’m looking for validation that I’m not a total freak ?

there seems to an assumption in some places that every one must be using a volume pedal but I would be surprised if more than 25% of people do. Actually maybe less than 10%.

• The best volume pedal is built right into the guitar, it's called the volume knob. And even this small feature isn't being used as often as it should, imho.

The world would be a better place if guitarists would e.g. setup their main tones at guitar volume knob at 9 so they always have a little extra just in case. And a great amp/rig will offer so much flexibility when turning the guitar volume knob down. It's boring to have volume/tone at 10 all the time.

My advise: Explore the capabilities of your guitar first ... you might discover that you need much less fancy stuff on your "pedal board". :)

• The best volume pedal is built right into the guitar, it's called the volume knob. And even this small feature isn't being used as often as it should, imho.

The world would be a better place if guitarists would e.g. setup their main tones at guitar volume knob at 9 so they always have a little extra just in case. And a great amp/rig will offer so much flexibility when turning the guitar volume knob down. It's boring to have volume/tone at 10 all the time.

My advise: Explore the capabilities of your guitar first ... you might discover that you need much less fancy stuff on your "pedal board". :)

that’s probably one of the main reason that so many people say profiles never sound like the youtube demos - professional players/profilers are always riding the volume knob in the demos but purchasers are using them with volume of 10.

• I have to use a volume pedal for a few songs since there is no time to reach for the guitar volume to go from clean chord to a distorted chord in half a beat. Why not use your foot if your hands are busy?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• no problem with it. I just don’t see it as a major part of most peoples set up. As you say, it might be useful/necessary for “a couple of songs”. Other than swell effects I personally find the guitar volume knob is just as easy as a volume pedal. I am not trying to be a member of the tone gestapo against anyone who prefers using their feet.

• i was actually about to start a poll about volume pedals. I feel somewhat inadequate that I don’t use one and I’m looking for validation that I’m not a total freak ?

there seems to an assumption in some places that every one must be using a volume pedal but I would be surprised if more than 25% of people do. Actually maybe less than 10%.

I think the tendency is to use the volume knob on the guitar because I think that's where we have all come from with a valve amp set up. Why buy a volume pedal if you already have one. On reflection not sure why I bought a volume pedal for my KPA.....hmmm

The obvious exception to this is Mark K who used a volume pedal to Slur notes in and its probably better suited to a foot controller.

Most people use volume for 2 main reasons:

1) To control your actual volume ( obviously!)

2) To clean up a sound.

I think most use cases are point 2 and most people are used to using guitar volume.

I don;t use volume to control break up because

1) I can change my sounds on my KPA - I don;t really need the adjust-ability. I used to do this more on my 2 channel amp to gain more sounds but now I can just have that sound there and ready - I know this isn't exactly the same but for me easier

2) I'm a clumsy chord thumper and subtlety is for wimps!

My initial point is I don;t use it to boost for solos. My friend who runs a Helix ( not relevant in this context) uses his volume to boost for solos. For me this is too much effort...trying to find the right volume points with a continuous controller. My boosts are a one touch switch, which I prefer.

So i don't think you are a total freak :)