Thumas 2021

• Hi!

New year, new profiles ;)

Will use this thread for my new and upcoming profiles.

Just started with a few from my beloved Mesa Boogie Mark 3 Red Stripe, Engl E-412 Vintage (v30), SM57

I have two sm57's, so i did a comparison between them, and they differ some as expected, also used sm57 copy called TSM MT57, A and B is sm57, and C is mt57

would be nice to hear what you like the most?

Profiles for comparison is 03 A, B, C, the other profiles are just some alternatives, and not for a fair comparison.

These are all studio profiles..

Update 17/1

Did a few new profiles with a 57 and a t.bone rb 100, also a profile with 2xsm57 fredman technique and on with heil pr20.

Some are merged and those has M before number, Studio profiles has S before, sorted out my 3 favorites and included some others in a bonus folder.

Update 29/1

Peavey Rockmaster preamp using power amp of bugera 333xl infinium with 6l6.

Engl cab used once again since i don't have my rectifier 2x12 cab at home at the moment, sm57,

profile no 1 is ultra channel with gain knob pulled fore some serious gain ;), rest of the profiles are with it pushed, that mode does not have as much gain as i want so i used ts in front for those, a ts808 on some and plumes ts on some.

I had this preamp for many years and i did some profiles of it back in 2013, it is the preamp from peavey ultra head, forerunner to peavey xxx, it also has the diodes for some kind of noise gate, that normally makes it a problem for kemper to profile correctly, those diodes are bypassed to get accurate profiles.

Studio profiles.

Update 17/2

Time for a new update :)

I got my mesa rectifier 2x12 cab back, did some new profiles with that cab using sm57 and md421, peavey rockmaster preamp was used once again in ultra channel pushed mode, less gain and fatter sounding than the pulled mode, also plumes ts was used for a clean boost in mode 2.

Both Studio and Merged profiles, and if you curious check the positions tab on profile to see the volume on the mic's, example is mics used 57+421 -3-0 means that 57 is lowered 3db, -0-6 means 421 is lowered 6db.

As a bonus i did a profile of my mesa mark 3, trying out match eq in logic to metallicas orion track, on amp i dialed in the same settings that they used on original recording, used recto cab with sm57.

Well the results is in the same vein as original but it's a little tough using a mastered guitar track with multiple guitars layered as source.

Also included the profile i did as a base, and i prefer it ;) but the match eq could maybe be useful for jamming with the record.

Enjoy!

• Can't wait to try these. Glad you are still going!

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Thank you, Thumas!

Just a small note:

The masking tape will affect the tone even 'though you're close-mic'ing on-axis. Probably not by much, but there will be an effect 'cause the off-axis bleed to the mic will be impeded a little bit.

If you could use something narrower to mark your chosen spot, even cut-down strips of the same tape, there'll theoretically be less tainting of the "authentic " tone.

• Interesting!

Normally i never mark positions, but did it this time to get mics at same spot!

I will do a comparison next session to see if i can hear what you mean, it makes sense so i think it will.

Nowdays i close mic, i like it better, i mean up to the grill!

But if your curious, the nr 5 profile is a bit away from the cab, the others are almost touching grill .

• Yes, absolutely spot on. Marking the close mic with tape massively changes the sound from the cab. Use a Chinagraph pencil instead.

• Good catch MM and Vin, I didn't know about the tape either.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I love these profiles! C seems to be a bit darker than A or B and I prefer it. I had to tame A and B with high cut filter in output section slightly below 7K otherwise there is a bit too much high frequency buildup to my taste. They all sound beefy and organic. Excellent job, sir!

• Update 17/1

Did a few new profiles with a 57 and a t.bone rb 100, also a profile with 2xsm57 fredman technique and on with heil pr20.

Some are merged and those has M before number, Studio profiles has S before, sorted out my 3 favorites and included some others in a bonus folder.

Profiles in first post.