Too low IQ for too much EQ? (SOLVED)

• Remember that I use the exact same guitar as in the Supro video though.

But you aren’t using the exact same amp in the room with same cabinet, mics etc.

i have made profiles of my own amps and done A/B testing right next to each other. To my ears at least the KPA behaves exactly like the real amp to playing dynamics and rolling back the volume.

• Thanks. Ah, I thought you had worked on the profile itself. To me your sound examples sound like there's some chorus or maybe a phaser on the sound? But thanks a lot for the attempt!

I added a stereo widener daw plugin with a narrow field to fatten the sound up and lessen the "distance" you are hearing. It's pretty much a Doubling effect that sound guys use for fattening. You can also fatten up in the profile by adding more volume to that particular rig. More importantly, I lowered the top end ... 12.0K dropped down 7db and 6.00K down by 2db. I could boost the midrange to bring the sound more "forward" too.

With bass, you will usually practice with heavier bass in the EQ than what you need in a mix because it can get muddied up by the actually bass player and kick drum. I do it all the time because I want my tone to sound good playing alone but I know I have to always drop the bass when I mix.

Once I set my high and low shelves globally in the Kemper then all the profiles came alive. Then it was just minor EQ adjustments to dial it all in.

My point was that by just adjusting 3 things I made your track come forward and more alive. You can easily do the same.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Compare this one to your original. I removed the stereo widener and just boosted the midrange EQ leaving the previous top end cut.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/ind…e_id=64947971749972226926

I really appreciate the effort but to me this had the opposite effect of what you're describing. Sounded more synthetic to me. But I'm also experimenting with the stereo widener and some other effects as we speak and like the results so far. Definitely getting closer.

• Okay guys, here we go:

In the last few hours I worked on the profile again and used lots of the input you gave me here.

I can still hear a difference to the original Supro video but now the profile FEELS the way I wanted it to feel. It has this broken-amp feeling I was hoping for. I'm sure it's super subjective and some of you would hate the sound but for me it was a really rewarding journey.

Here is a quick demo of the new profile:

New profile after discussion

Here's the old one as a reference:

Profile before discussion

Some of the things that helped me the most to get a (in my ears) more three dimensional feeling:

- Adding gain

- Playing with volume knob

- Lighter touch

- Combining Concert Hall reverb with spring reverb

- balancing the power sagging

- adding pure cabinet (to 3)

- adding a slight touch of stereo widening

- boosting lower frequencies a few db with a custom EQ

I also confess I gave it a quick Ozone mastering in Logic because I assume they did the same for the video. (Here's the straight Kemper recording before the quick master: Profile no mastering)

I really like that our tone discussion was a good mix between technical aspects and button pressing but also technique. At the end it all has to come together and I have to learn a lot on both sides of the tone spectrum.

So what's the take away? Does the Kemper sound and feel like a real amp to me now? I'd say it depends. It can definitely get there, depending a lot on the profile you are using. And of course I was willing to put a lot of time into it - but I believe this will help me with other profiles in the future, too. I definitely discovered some go-to settings now.

So the answer is a shy yes that will hopefully one day become a even louder.

For now I'll mark the threat as "solved" and thank you all again.

This forum is really great, everyone.

Edited 2 times, last by Kaschko ().