Kemper click and Kabinet pop normal on start and shutdown?

• Whenever I turn on or off my Kemper Powered profiler rack, I hear a "click" (which I have always have heard) inside the rack with the power amp clicked on. The click goes away if I uncheck the power amp.

When I got my Kabinet, I would also hear a "pop" (about 30-40db), after the above "click", from the Kabinet when the power amp is on, and the same when I shut down the profiler.

Both units are working fine but I wanted to know if this is normal? (I do have my Profiler and Kabinet running out of a surge-supressor along with my studio monitors and sub-woofer).

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi, BayouTexan.

From what I've read elsewhere in the community, what you are experiencing is typical and normal.

To avoid pops and other spurious noises, when I power up devices, I follow the signal path from guitar to loudspeakers. Reverse that powering down.

For example: Turn on in this order.

Connect the guitar* to anything between the guitar and the Profiler (e.g., Pedalboard)

Turn on anything between the guitar and the Profiler

Turn on the Profiler (In your case, make sure the power amp is off)

Turn on the Power Amp.

If connected to a PA - I would do all this before turning on the PA - or at least mute the channels I am using on the board.

Going the other way

PA off

Power Amp off

Profiler Off

Pedalboard off

It's a few extra steps, but you can avoid any pops.

* You don't have to do the guitar first if you have a cable that can silently disconnect or a wireless transmitter with a signal mute.

• Mine pops too, but not sure if it does through the XLRs or just (most likely) the power amp, even with the volume at zero. I guess if it really bugged me, I'd switch the power amp off before shutting down. I don't recall it popping when switching the power amp on after booting.

• I just read my post and realized how spoiled the Kemper has made me. "Oh if I must take an extra step and turn the power amp off with a soft button" lol. I used to have a 4' rack and tube amps that took a LOT more to shut down, and didn't sound any better than a powered profiler smaller than a shopping basket. When I hear the faint "tick", I smile knowing my rig is ON and ready to rock!

• The clicking noise is normal, and sounds like a relay to me (same sound as the relays in my Mesas-and they run a lot of relays!).

If you have a cab plugged in and boot with power amp on there is a slight noticeable (but not scary) "pop" that happens when it powers up. I hear the relay "click"you speak of as well when you turn the power amp on an off, but I was not talking about the relay noise in particular.

• If you have a cab plugged in and boot with power amp on there is a slight noticeable (but not scary) "pop" that happens when it powers up. I hear the relay "click"you speak of as well when you turn the power amp on an off, but I was not talking about the relay noise in particular.

Mine has a slight popping noise, too, but I’ve never concerned myself with it. Most of my tube amps will pop very slightly when the standby is disengaged as well.