What is the closest Marshally-rocky profile for power amp saturation?

• What is the closest Marshally-rocky profile for power amp saturation? Or anyone have tips on getting close to it?

The tone I'm looking for

This solo

Get any free marshall rig you like (go check the free packs section on rig manager) and just play with the eq and definition control. As DonPetersen said, the tube shape goes from preamp-like saturation to poweramp-like saturation. Experiment with it. On a side note, I have never "heard" power amp saturation on a real full head marshall, too much volume :P

The answer is 42

• Get any free marshall rig you like (go check the free packs section on rig manager) and just play with the eq and definition control. As DonPetersen said, the tube shape goes from preamp-like saturation to poweramp-like saturation. Experiment with it. On a side note, I have never "heard" power amp saturation on a real full head marshall, too much volume :P

Hmmm, good point I haven't heard it in person either. I'll give it a go and see what happens :)

• I owned a JCM800 (100w) in the eighties. I recall that once during a rehearsal my bandmates and I decided to crank it. We set all knobs to 10 (ala Van Halen), and I tell you, the buzz even with guitar volume off was intimidating. I summoned the nerve to strike an A chord and it was like that scene in the movie back to the future. Unfortunately, when we all regained consciousness no one could remember how it sounded :)

• i remember the 80’s when every rehearsal studio we used had Marshall JCM800 half stacks. I always thought they sounded utter mince - thin,shrill, scratchy just horrible. Then I tried some JCM 800 profiles and they were awesome. I’m sure the problem was that those amps NEED their power sections driven hard to get the sound and they are just too loud for rehearsal studios. I’d love to try one now with an attenuator though.

• I am using the GB - Mars CM 800 808 with just the gain cranked up. I only have a Chorus in the stomp with no added distortion or OD. Has lots of saturation. Bass. Mid, and Treble boosted lightly.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• i remember the 80’s when every rehearsal studio we used had Marshall JCM800 half stacks. I always thought they sounded utter mince - thin,shrill, scratchy just horrible. Then I tried some JCM 800 profiles and they were awesome. I’m sure the problem was that those amps NEED their power sections driven hard to get the sound and they are just too loud for rehearsal studios. I’d love to try one now with an attenuator though.

I had a JCM800 100w back in the day and it only had 3 settings - below 1 which sounded awful, above 1 which blew your head off but sounded ok or above 2-3 which sounded great but totally unusable because it was painfully loud/too loud for any venue!

I bought one because I saw Steve Walwyn ( now in Dr Feelgood) at our local pub play through one and it sounded amazing....found out when i got one it was his fingers!

Still love them but i think you are right...