High gain noise issue

• Hi all,

I've read a hundred threads that all sound about the same but have yet to find a solution. I'm a high gain metal player and recently (ish) I've noticed some ugly, unexpected noise that sounds like clipping that I simply can't rid myself of. I've tried everything I can think of -- I've done a complete factory reset, I've changed cables, I've swapped guitars -- to no avail. I've adjusted every tunable parameter I can think of, messed with every output and input setting from clean/distort sense to main volume levels, adjusted levels down to almost nothing into the interface, listened with just headphones into the back and no interface... I can't figure out how to rid myself of these unwanted artifacts. It's like a click, crackle, or clipping on heavily picked strokes. I can ease it out by easing up a bit... but that's hardly a solution.

Here's an audio file with samples. All of the profiles are from the Rig Exchange, two publicly created profiles and one Kemper-provided profile from the Lasse Lammert pack. I usually play a Schecter 7-string with active EMGs but I also get the noise on my passive Ibanez S540. I'd love to try to downgrade to an older OS version (I'm on 8.0.5.23861) but I can't find an archive of older OSes.

Any insights? I'm at wit's end.

• Thanks for the older software link. Not much older but a bit anyway. I installed version 7.1.5.15526/15528 and experienced the exact same noise so it doesn't appear to be recent firmware related.

• From that I'd assume that you have the Stage model and not Toaster or Rack version, right? For the Stage it doesn't get older than 7-something...

Correct, I'm on a Stage.

I've done bit more experimenting with the recordings and the noise appears to be somewhere around 6.8khz on the Fortin 13 profile and 5.8khz on the other profiles. I put two high-Q EQs (just to really pull those frequencies down) on them to very harshly and precisely yank those frequencies out to get most of it out. I found it odd that the frequencies were slightly different.