Merged profile Studio output.

• When using a Merged profile, is the main out (with cab on) the same as if I used the same profile's studio version? I Know the Monitor/power amp portion will be different as well of any differences that occurred between the 2 profiling processes, but was guessing the cab simulated part should be the same as that part of the profile is taken from the Amp/cab.

I have found when using a live cab, Some of the Merged profiles I tried and disliked I ended up LOVING using the studio profile with cab driver. Since then I quit using merged profiles as it seems I like whatever cabdriver is doing more than I like the raw head sound going into a cab.

• In theory it should be same (if the profiling, DI capture and merging is done correctly), but in practice there’s usually some difference. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but still some.

• In theory it should be same (if the profiling, DI capture and merging is done correctly), but in practice there’s usually some difference. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but still some.

I was wondering because when a merged profile is created, first the Amp and cab is profiled, (Same as studio profile) then the amp separately so it knows more accurately what the amp and cab is doing individually. In theory that should make the studio portion exactly like a studio profile. It doesn't really affect me, I was just wondering as I use studio profiles even with a live cab because as I said I seem to prefer them, likely because of the speaker cab I use and it just sounds good that way but I was thinking the studio portion should be exactly the same.

• For sure there are (understandably) differences between using a merged profile with amp direct into your cab and the main outs using the studio profile. But yes as you say the studio portion should be exactly the same.

The only differences I could think of would be since the merged (2 part process) and studio profile were done at 2 separate times, there might be slight changes that occurred in the amp + cab part for the merged profile and the amp + cab that makes the Studio only profile.

I had a profile pack (TJ 74) that I didn't care for much at first, it seemed to "dry", and not like the video sounded. I was a bit disappointed, and I put it aside and fell in love with another Marshall. I was using merged because at that time I thought it was "the way". After speaking with MB about his experience with Studio vs Merged profiles + being prompted to listen to the clips for the 74 pack (that sound great) on a thread here, I tried it again with studio only and I loved it immediately and put it in my tippy top favorites . So either my taste/brain/ ear changed, (possible) or something was way better all of a sudden.

• Overall Studio and Merged PROFILE based on the same amp with identical settings sound exactly the same. There is only a difference, if you switch off the cabinet module or activate Monitor Cab. Off.

• Overall Studio and Merged PROFILE based on the same amp with identical settings sound exactly the same. There is only a difference, if you switch off the cabinet module or activate Monitor Cab. Off.

I wonder if there might be a slight difference if a user refined both profiles. As the refining may not be identical in each case.

• Merged and studio profiles (done by myself, done by sellers...) do not always sound the same.

It seems that the Profiler sometimes captures the direct amp profiles with more gain, shows up different Definition setting, ...

I talked to sellers about it too.

• Amp settings must be maintained during capturing the Studio and the Direct PROFILE. Then merging the Direct PROFILE with the Studio PROFILE is used to increase the accuracy of the boundary between amp and cabinet resulting in a Merged PROFILE. The overall sound is systematically not changed.

However, the system is not hindering you to merge a Direct PROFILE of a different amp and/or different settings into a Studio PRPFILE. Gargabe in, garbage out.

• I don't want this to be moved to "Third party rig discussion", but I can easily name a handful (almost all?) sellers that will swear that there are differences sometimes. Same amp settings of course! Studio and the corresponding merged profiles are not sounding the same always.

Some sellers who first offered only merged, now offer studio profiles too, cause it sounds slightly different for example. Others talked about it in the forum and couldn't explain why it sounds different or the direct amp profile with same setting has more gain / different Definition setting...

Everyone can try: Make a studio profile and a direct amp profile with same amp settings, same cab connected...

If the direct amp profile now has not same definition and/or gain, the merged profile can not be the same?!

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• This is interesting, It doesn't bother me or I think its a flaw even if they are different as I'll just pick what I like best.

I wanted to make clear I was speaking of a merged profile with cabinet on vs. a studio profile with cabinet on of the same amp with same settings.

As we know, both merged and studio profiles have the amp+speaker done as a pair together so they should be exactly the same unless a mic moved or something was set different between the Merged profile process and the Studio profile process of the same amp/speaker.

Only the direct amp portion is done solo.

Not speaking of a direct profile out to live cab which of course would sound different because of your speaker variable.

I see you are talking about looking at the difference between the direct profile vs. the studio profile numbers. I'm guessing since the cabinet is eliminated during direct profiling process ,the Kemper sees it with different numbers which would make sense.

• The cab from the studio profile is added to the direct amp profile. Then the correct portion of the cab is "calculated" with the use of the merge button. So in the newly stored merged profile the amp part is still the direct amp profile. I don't know any pack from a seller where EVERY merged profile (with cab activated) does sound exactly the same as the studio profile. Often they show different "numbers" too.

So I asked the sellers and they all told me, that they do correct merged profiles of the same setup with same settings, but Kemper does not always give same result. Some also said, that sometimes the direct amp profile didn't gave good results at all, but studio profiles still worked great and sounded authentic.

I don't believe that all / many profile makers "just don't get it" or don't do it right. But who knows ;)

I can name almost any seller here, who offers merged profiles. Or show screenshots of the profile list. You can see that many have even different gain levels. Does anyone know a seller who says / confirms that the corresponding merged profiles do not differ from the studio profiles at all and always sound exactly the same?

Edited 2 times, last by Ibot39 ().

• The cab from the studio profile is added to the direct amp profile.

Isn't it more accurate to say the direct amp profile is added to the studio profile (not just cab) to create a merged profile?

First a studio profile is created (amp+cab), then a direct amp profile is created. That way you should have an accurate profile of the head only and one of head & cab combined in the merged profile.

• Isn't it more accurate to say the direct amp profile is added to the studio profile (not just cab) to create a merged profile?

First a studio profile is created (amp+cab), then a direct amp profile is created. That way you should have an accurate profile of the head only and one of head & cab combined in the merged profile.

You copy the cab portion of the studio profile to the direct amp profile - then save it with merged button checked.

After that you have a merged profile. The amp part still is and sounds the same as the direct amp profile. The cab part from the studio profile is adapted. So now you have the authentic separation of the amp part (still the same as direct amp profile) and the cab part.

• You copy the cab portion of the studio profile to the direct amp profile - then save it with merged button checked.

After that you have a merged profile. The amp part still is and sounds the same as the direct amp profile. The cab part from the studio profile is adapted. So now you have the authentic separation of the amp part (still the same as direct amp profile) and the cab part.

Tell me if I'm wrong but don't you first do a profile of amp + cab? Then you do a profile of the amp direct through a DI right? The cab portion comes from subtracting direct from the studio profile. So direct amp profile is added to the studio profile to make a merged profile. I may be splitting hairs as I believe we are meaning the same thing just saying it different.

• Discussion with Michael Britt about studio vs merged profiles

Here is something I found that talks about this.

Thats the point. Every seller has this experience and everyone can test for himself. Like MB says: "They didn't sound identical to me once merged as the definitions were different so I would adjust definition and eq to get them sounding as close as I could."

Tell me if I'm wrong but don't you first do a profile of amp + cab? Then you do a profile of the amp direct through a DI right? The cab portion comes from subtracting direct from the studio profile. So direct amp profile is added to the studio profile. I may be splitting hairs as I believe we are meaning the same thing just saying it different.

It is irrelevant what you do first. You just make 2 profiles. This two profiles are saved on your Kemper. Merged process is later! Not while profiling.

One profile is a studio profile. The other one is a direct amp profile (with Kemper DI box for example) of the same amp, same setting, same cab connected.

Now you have the two profiles saved on your Kemper.

Next is loading the studio profile.

Copy cab (of the loaded studio profile).

Load corresponding direct amp profile.

Paste cab from studio profile.

Check merge and save the whole thing.

Result: Merged profile.

• I'll likely just use studio profiles only . FOH is more important to me than my live cab. And using cabdriver sounds great to me so there's nothing from a merged profile I need it's just more options to make me wonder about instead of playing guitar!

• I just listened to the three profile types (Studio Direct and Merged from a Mesa Triaxis pack I bought with and without Cab for Merged and Studio obviously). The Merged and Studio sounded nearly identical with the cab on. However, there were actually MASSIVE differences between the three types with the cab off. I was actually shocked by how diffident they sounded ?