Merged profile Studio output.

• I just listened to the three profile types (Studio Direct and Merged from a Mesa Triaxis pack I bought with and without Cab for Merged and Studio obviously). The Merged and Studio sounded nearly identical with the cab on. However, there were actually MASSIVE differences between the three types with the cab off. I was actually shocked by how diffident they sounded ?

How can a direct amp profile have a cab?

If you load a real direct amp profile, this is the "authentic" sound.

Deactivating the cab in a studio profile: The Kemper automatically uses CabDriver algorithm to separate the amp part from cab part. It is a guess. And sounds different.

The amp part of the merged profile schould sound the same / very close. I do not want confuse anyone, but it seems the merge process does also slightly influence the amp part. Sinmix has comparison sounds between direct amp profiles vs merged on real cab and saying using the direct amp profile is the best. Also had the idea to use the original direct amp profile and copy the (more precise cab) from the later merged profile and save it as a new profile, but now without merging ;)

To make the confusion complete, some known sellers (that also have official Kemper Rig Packs) do not make real merged profiles. They just copy any cab to any profile (often direct amp profiles, sometimes studio profiles) without ever hitting the merge button. Still call the profiles (just saved with another cab) "merged".

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• Wheresthedug

Might be a pack from the same guy ;)

Does he ever hit the merge button before saving. I don't know? But he does much refining and tweaking, so that the merged profile could not be the same result as the studio profile. This guy stated several times on threads that he does not like merged and that they do not sound the same (the way he is doing it).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How can a direct amp profile have a cab?

that’s why I said

.......with and without Cab for Merged and Studio obviously)

I know that there is no cab on a direct profile. What I was trying to say was that when I compared the Amp only portion of a Direct and a Merged profile they sounded VERY different.

Also when comparing a Merged and Studio with the cab off they sounded different but less so.

When comparing a Merged and Studio with cab on they sounded very similar.

For me the Studio profile always sounds best and I really never use anything other than full studio profiles but others may have a different view which is totally fine.

• For me the Studio profile always sounds best and I really never use anything other than full studio profiles but others may have a different view which is totally fine.

This is what I am going with. It sounds great to me and it's easy just to go with what works. I'm not compromising anything this way, my live cab and direct sound perfect. When I try a direct amp into my live cab is when things can get different. I like the Idea of the cab driver and whatever "baked in" cab remains. It just seems to have a real feel.

• This is what I am going with. It sounds great to me and it's easy just to go with what works. I'm not compromising anything this way, my live cab and direct sound perfect. When I try a direct amp into my live cab is when things can get different. I like the Idea of the cab driver and whatever "baked in" cab remains. It just seems to have a real feel.

If you make profiles yourself, you'll notice that most of the time the direct amp profile is closer to the real amp (and often a tad brighter). Quite a few sellers now just offer direct amp profiles that work with real cab and studio profiles that work for everything else. No merged needed here.

Others make the rigs by just copying cabs / IR to direct amp profiles.

In the end we can not compare to the reference amp by ourselves and use what sounds best to each of us.

• I profiled my amps testing both methods.

First I created a studio profile. Then I created a direct profile using the Kemper DI Box. Finally I created a merged using the studio profile cab section fusioned with the DI profile (Merged button activated).

The Studio and the merged sound different. I liked the studio ones better in all my profiles.

But I guess, if you have really good cab profiles, you can achieve good results using DI profiles with those cabs.