How come some commercial profilers do so much post profile EQing?

• I've noticed that a number of the commercial profilers I like tend to modify, sometimes significantly, the post profile EQ of the profiles they sell. MBritt, Top Jimi, and Selah Sounds all seem to fall into that camp. I don't recall MBritt doing that in the old days but his last 2 or 3 packs, he's really pushing the bass and mids on some of them...and the high end too.

I guess it makes me wonder, and question, why don't you get that right in the guitar/amp EQ settings of what you're profiling at the time? Is it to push an EQ after the fact that favors live or studio? Is it because inherently, you can't get a "convincing" and pleasing sound without post profile EQ modifications? Is it just because...? :)

• I've noticed that a number of the commercial profilers I like tend to modify, sometimes significantly, the post profile EQ of the profiles they sell. MBritt, Top Jimi, and Selah Sounds all seem to fall into that camp. I don't recall MBritt doing that in the old days but his last 2 or 3 packs, he's really pushing the bass and mids on some of them...and the high end too.

I guess it makes me wonder, and question, why don't you get that right in the guitar/amp EQ settings of what you're profiling at the time? Is it to push an EQ after the fact that favors live or studio? Is it because inherently, you can't get a "convincing" and pleasing sound without post profile EQ modifications? Is it just because...? :)

Excellent post! And this is why I stopped buying profiles. Lets face it, the Kemper does not profile an amp perfectly, yes it will get you in the ball park but there is always work to be done, and some allot more then others. These sellers will post YT vids of how great their profiles sound but dont expect that after the purchase, they just want you to buy their profiles. I snapped out of it a while ago, thinking I was truly getting that amp's tone when I made a purchase, then reality hit me...I'm not lol. I then realized its best to do your own profiles or even better, go to the FREE Exchange and seek as there are MANY great ones out there that you can tweak yourself to your liking.

• I don't think the E.Q. applied is to get it closer to the reference amp to make up for any profiling issues, I think its more to make it sound as good as it can - although it would be good to ask that from the commercial profilers.

I guess the question is what are they to do....get as close to the reference amp as possible or get the best sounding profile? Although that doesn't explain why not change the EQ on the amp.... hmmmm

• You would rather research a bit of how they profile before steping in and say its wrong. In the case of M Britt, he explains that after profiling, his goal is to make it sound as close as possible to the real amp in front of him, so he tunes all the parameters, including EQ until he gets the closest to the amp sound, and not the traditional mic´ed sound. Thats why mostly everyone agrees his profiles sound better live, and very amp like. I can get my twin profiles, and the sound is almost the same mic´ed and studio, and also when connecting to the speakers trough my power amp, it is almost the same amp.

The answer is 42

• You can watch and listen to Michael Britt and HW (Tone Junkie) talk about the way they tweak profiles here.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• You wouldn't run a mic'ed amp to FOH without adding EQ at the desk. So I guess this additional EQ within the profiles is what make so many people say they run their Kemper live with the mixer EQ flat, or to not let the FOH guy add his usual guitar EQ curve to your Kemper tone.

• You would rather research a bit of how they profile before steping in and say its wrong. In the case of M Britt, he explains that after profiling, his goal is to make it sound as close as possible to the real amp in front of him, so he tunes all the parameters, including EQ until he gets the closest to the amp sound, and not the traditional mic´ed sound. Thats why mostly everyone agrees his profiles sound better live, and very amp like. I can get my twin profiles, and the sound is almost the same mic´ed and studio, and also when connecting to the speakers trough my power amp, it is almost the same amp.

I wasn't suggested it was wrong per se. Just wondering why all the post EQ work but you explained it perfectly.

dacop1313 had it right I think in terms of many profiles have the goods if you dial them to your sound and application.

It really gets down to finding the mic(s) you like...I seem to like the SM57(and variants) + R121(and variants)...and then eq'ing further from there for a sound. I guess though that you'd need to have the actual amp to get there...but...I do think I can reverse engineer Michael Britt's approach for some of my other profiles. Obviously his cab is a big part of the full sound too. That 2x12 w/ CL80 he has is full sounding.

• I think its safe to say you can import a profile from the free exchange or even the system preloads (lets say a Marshall Jubilee or 800) and tweak it to your liking and it will be just as good or probably even better then any commercial ($$$) profile. Yes you can do the same with purchased profiles...but why?