Linux Machine with RigManager

• Hi Linuxers,

Until lately, I used my Desktop PC with the dual boot option to either run (Mint) Linux or Windows 10. Almost always I was running Windows just to start RigManager (there are maybe 2 or 3 other programs in Windows which I like better than Linux alternatives). This is sometimes annoying - leaving Linux and starting Windows just to run RigManager.

I have now find the way to start RigManager in Linux: I had to install "Gnome Boxes", download the Windows 10 ISO and tell Boxes to make a virtual machine from this ISO. This ran without any problems. Then I installed RigManager and tried with my Profile Stage connected by USB cable. Nothing happened. Obviously there was no USB connection / passthrough available for the Windows system running as Linux guest. Looking at Linux log, I could see entries for the connection of my Profiler, stating it was a Kemper system. Well.

Next, I read, you'd better use "Virtual Manager" to manage your guest system. Because with this software, you have the option to tell the system to passthrough USB devices to Windows! Wow, this was the solution - now RigManager sees the connected Stage. (Caveat: it took around half an hour to synchronize my performances on the Stage with RM).

Before installing, have a look at: https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-boxes/stable/.If you are interested to install this, look at the following commands:

Code
    sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-daemon-system
    sudo apt-get install libvirt-daemon-system libvirt-clients bridge-utils virt-manager
    sudo apt install spice-vdagent
    sudo apt-get install spice-client-gtk-3.0

So, here it is as screenshot.

• Yep, I've been doing this for a while using Virtualbox on Ubuntu, and it works great. A testament to how well the Kemper guys follow the USB standards, as I could not ever get the Line6 stuff to work with it very well.