Activate groups of effect presets with 1 click or CC

• As a user I want to be able to activate a userdefined group of effectpresets with 1 CC message/switch so that I can change all my effectslots with one click, without changing my amp sound/switch rig, so I don’t have to make presets for every amp / effects combination I use.

In other words, I want to be able to load a group of effect presets with on click, without changing my amp sound/switch rig. Example: on preset/rig A with only verb, I want to temporarily add a compressor, a delay, and change the verb mix with on click. After doing so want to be able to change to preset/rig B with the same effects. After that I want to go to the effect settings as they where defined in preset/rig B by deactivating the “temporary called group of effects”.

in other words....a stomp button/cc msg can trigger loading several userdefined existing effect presets and activate them.

I can imagine it could work like this:

- add an “effects- container” where user can add ID,s of existing presets, and give a name to the container.

- add functionality where user can link this “effect-container” to a stomp button / CC as triggers. (CC number + values that link to 127 containers?)

- at trigger of a footswitch or CC msg, all presets in the container are loaded, and activated.

- container gets status active and the used slots get locked so a rig change won’t interfere.

- when a container is active, all effectslots that are not in the container are disabled.

- when a container is deactivated, the effects in the preset are reloaded. (So a toggle between effects as defined in the preset, and the effects in the “effects container”.

• I don t rember the number but there s a CC to turn on/off at once all the Stomp section and another one for the Effect section. Maybe #16 and.. check the manual.

So You can save a group of fx ( pre or post Amp and Cab) and then turn them On or Off with one switch.

• I don t rember the number but there s a CC to turn on/off at once all the Stomp section and another one for the Effect section. Maybe #16 and.. check the manual.

So You can save a group of fx ( pre or post Amp and Cab) and then turn them On or Off with one switch.

that’s nice....but different from changing the content of what’s in the effectblock...and activate that.

• In other words, I want to be able to load a group of effect presets with on click, without changing my amp sound/switch rig.

yes burkard ..sure, but it's not what he's looking for.

I guess he's trying to complicate a bit more the normal/usual rig managment.

As far As I've understood he would like to be able to assing a certain group of Fx to a certain #CC and to be able to recall it independently by the rig he's using.

• yes burkard ..sure, but it's not what he's looking for.

I guess he's trying to complicate a bit more the normal/usual rig managment.

As far As I've understood he would like to be able to assing a certain group of Fx to a certain #CC and to be able to recall it independently by the rig he's using.

From a use perspective, it's making it less complicated, not more.

If you have, say, 5 basic profiles and 20 FX presets, do you really want to have to remember the order of 100 complete rigs? It's far LESS complicated to be able to select 20 FX presets and 5 profiles, then mix and match them at will.

• ;

You can do that and even include the amp and cab module by loading another Rig with one MIDI program change.

I know, but that’s not what I’m after. Lets say, for argument sake, I want to able to use 5 effect configurations on 4 amps. With “old school” 4 channel amp and effectunit...I got that with 9 swithces. If I were to have the same options in the kemper, id need 36 presets, and id be switching banks like a madman. If I wanted to change my “clean sound”...id be editing 5 rigs.

Thats a lot more complicated then managing 4 amp sounds and 5 effect presets.

The result of what I’m proposing is switching effect chains like you would in an amp + effectunit set up.

The way to get there that I propose is basically....allow the user to group i.e. a drive preset, a verb preset and a delay preset in a [give it a name] and assign a CC+ value to that [give it a name] to trigger load and activate whatever is in there. So its based on using how users can store presets at this moment....group IDs of those in a table/file...and recall those on CC+value trigger.

• What is hindering you to organize your 4 amps in 4 Performances and the 5 effect configurations in the five Slots of those Performances?

Performances n is amp n, and Slot m is effect configuration m. You then use the Rig Buttons to change the effect configuration and the Up/Down button to load the amp. MIDI wise that can be achieved with CC#47 to preload the amp and CC#50-54 to load the effect configuration.

• What is hindering you to organize your 4 amps in 4 Performances and the 5 effect configurations in the five Slots of those Performances?

Performances n is amp n, and Slot m is effect configuration m. You then use the Rig Buttons to change the effect configuration and the Up/Down button to load the amp. MIDI wise that can be achieved with CC#47 to preload the amp and CC#50-54 to load the effect configuration.

There are three ways in which this approach adds significant complexity for the user.

1) What if you regularly use more than 5 FX presets? My standard pallette is about 30. With your approach, to go from FX 1 to FX 30 I would have to scroll through 30 performance pages, then select the rig slot. That is not a viable use case in live performance.

2) Every individual combination requires that you build a unique rig. This exponentially increases the amount of work required in comparison to an amp and FX units, where a single FX preset or change is immediately applicable to all amp gain settings.

3) With MIDI, your approach would require that the MIDI board read the current state of the KPA before sending any commands. Without knowing what setting it's on when a button is hit, it cannot determine the combination required to make a simple change like "change from compressed funk to shimmery chorus clean" without risking changing to the wrong gain setting - a nightmare during a performance.

• ;

I know, but that’s not what I’m after. Lets say, for argument sake, I want to able to use 5 effect configurations on 4 amps. With “old school” 4 channel amp and effectunit...I got that with 9 swithces. If I were to have the same options in the kemper, id need 36 presets, and id be switching banks like a madman. If I wanted to change my “clean sound”...id be editing 5 rigs.

Thats a lot more complicated then managing 4 amp sounds and 5 effect presets.

The result of what I’m proposing is switching effect chains like you would in an amp + effectunit set up.

The way to get there that I propose is basically....allow the user to group i.e. a drive preset, a verb preset and a delay preset in a [give it a name] and assign a CC+ value to that [give it a name] to trigger load and activate whatever is in there. So its based on using how users can store presets at this moment....group IDs of those in a table/file...and recall those on CC+value trigger.

OK, to respond to the OP, it seems that it CAN be done, sort of, but it would require a MIDI controller and you'd still have to program each individual rig combination.

You could use a separate performance page for each FX preset, with the 5 rig slots used for the different amps/profiles/gains.

Ex:, Slot 1 as JC-120 Clean, Slot 2 as Fender Super Reverb slight breakup, Slot 3 as a dimed Plexi, Slot 4 Bogner XTC Blue, Slot 5 XTC Red. Copy these 5 plain profiles with no FX across all performance pages.

Next, build your FX presets. Put them in all 5 of the rig slots for a given performance page.

Now, set "Performance Load" to "Keep Slot".

In this config Selecting the slot with CC50-54 changes your amp but leaves the FX. Selecting the Performance Page with CC47 changes the FX but keeps the amp (same slot).

You still have to build them all, but having a no-FX performance page template and FX presets makes it fairly easy to do. 128 performance pages covers a lot of ground.

Im sorry, I cant be more clear then I have been, and I hope you read my post with care.

#presets to manage, #of switches to step on , and flexible/intuitive control of your sound during a performance are the key components here.

I didn’t mention 1 other thing...ie If I changed the volume of an amp with an expression pedal..as soon as I switch effects following your suggestion ..I would start at the setting of the preset...that’s not what you want in the middle of a performance.

• yeah...it’s possible indeed, but there’s to much complications to my taste.

Managing so many presets, current state of expression controllers, a quick tweak of your amp sound takes adjusting a dozen rigs....to complicated!

I hope they consider my suggestion....and be the first in the market to support oldschool methods in a unit of today ;)