Skid Row | Forever | Vocal/Guitar Rock Cover

• Check out my latest cover song, recorded on the KPA of course. "Forever" by Skid Row, this was a really fun one to play. If anyone wants to collab sometime on a rock/metal song, hit me up! :thumbup:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi, Eyetri2015,

I'm glad I hit Play.

I wish the lead vocal was more prominent in the mix. Tried listening with headphones, computer speakers, and two other external speakers. Same general sense: the lead vocal was too far back.

Thanks for sharing your music.

ST

• Hey ST!

Thanks for checking the video out. You know, I'm still learning how to record and mix vocals properly. I went back and forth on the vocals being TOO prominent and then not enough. Apparently to your ear I stayed on the side of not enough.

What's the secret to getting the vocals to pop while also allowing the other tracks to shine? Is it primarily proper EQ? Compression? Volume automation? All of the above? None of the above? Anyhow, I made an attempt to use them all, but no doubt I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks again!
    Kevin

• Hey, Kevin.

I don't know the secret to getting the vocals to pop while allowing the other tracks to shine. I'm all about performing live, so I listen through that filter.

I did some hunting around on the web and found this article Tips for Mixing Rock Vocals and the excerpt below.

For me, the vocals are always the star of the show. The article above disabused me of my illusions.

Please take my comments with that grain of salt.

Cheers,

ST