issue during refine process

• If the profile sounds good initially you don’t necessarily need to refine at all.

If it needs refining to get the sound to match then try it in stages until you are happy. I.e. refine, stop, compare, refine more, stop compare...... until happy.

as for the actual playing during refining, go for lots of transients. Palm muted low strings. Spikey high chords. Play all over the neck not just down low.

• I’m getting tons of sub bass that isn’t in the original amp (5150 III) before and after refining. Not using any pedals in front, just the straight amp into a Suhr Reactive Load IR. I have to use an EQ to high pass everything up to 120hz to even get it in the ball park. Did a recent update change accuracy? I listen to profiles i made before that didn’t have any problems like this. (Yes, I factory reset all the settings etc etc). There is definitely something going on, I’ve seen many reports on other forums of extra sub bass being added. I thought maybe it was a problem for the Kemper using the reactive load box/IR so I miced up the amp and the same thing. I’ve profiled this amp before so they definitely changed something in the lowed accuracy with the profiling process. I saw CK mentioned it doesn’t matter because it gets filtered anyway in a mix...well I don’t want Kemper making mixing choices for me, HP a guitar that drastically to cut out the extra subs (a lot extra) causes phase issues. What’s going on here??

• I have what I believe to be a problem similar to yours when profiling an amp with either A) a lot of high end (bright switch on) or B) TONS of gain (5150 III Stealth.)

I have a Matchless Chieftain that has a "Brilliance" control that adds high end that is far higher than most of my other amps (I have a lot of amps :)

If the amp is totally clean, the Brilliance control won't really be an issue, but if there is any gain at all, and the Brilliance control is one, forget it. The original profile will be 90%... refining immediately goes from bad to worse. So I just EQ and adjust other settings without refining on those, and they aren't quite as good.

A friend of mine brought over his Honey Bee amp. Again, with the bright switch on, no dice. Turn that bright switch off, no problem at all. That amp is an "SRV" level of gain, so some overdrive, but not a ton... similar to the Chieftain.

I also had this issue occasionally with my 5150IIIS 6L6 back in the day. I would have to use an EQ pedal to reduce the gain to get it to profile, then add the gain back in later. The EQ pedal worked because it still allowed the gain pot to be in the same place, thus keeping the tone consistent, even though the gain was lower. That actually worked pretty well.

• Got some profiles of that Honey Bee Amp?