Kabinet vs. Studio Headphones EQ

• there is also the aspect of gain (live sound less gain, recording massive gain or double tracking)...

I've always heard the opposite, that gain is amplified in recordings so one should use less than live. Then again, I don't play metal so different rules might apply and there probably is no right and wrong.

• Uhm, are you sure my very specific questions are answered in these two articles? Read them both now and can't find the answers.

Sorry...

I'd say place your phone with a dB app 1m from the speaker to to your measurement.

And you should be in a similar position to your speaker/cab as you are when you're on stage.

• I've always heard the opposite, that gain is amplified in recordings so one should use less than live. Then again, I don't play metal so different rules might apply and there probably is no right and wrong.

Hiya Kaschko. So did I but found out that at least for my recordings works the other way round. But maybe that would explain the “boominess” in my tracks.

Maybe I also by some new headphones once. Only have to explain it to my wife as she did provide them to my birthday ...

Also make sure that you experience the same loudness whilst comparing with the Kabinet. I rarely use the FrFr-Mode. I have great BluAmp Cabinets but never been absolutely convinced. Bought now a Spark-Cabinet with a Kone from BlueAmps and I am closer to heaven as ever before. Such great experience. And when switching to FrFr it still sounds amazing.

• 3. When it comes to recording: I have a waves plugin in which I can choose my headphones and then it compensates the EQ. The result is quite different from the EQ without the plugin. Is there a point to this although the headphones are actually famous for sounding neutral?

That Wave plugin is meant to close the gap between using speakers vs headphones and at th same time simulate the acoustic of a studio.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• That Wave plugin is meant to close the gap between using speakers vs headphones and at th same time simulate the acoustic of a studio.

I does that too but isn't limited to it. You can actually turn the room simulation off and use just the compensation EQ for a bunch of headphone brands.

• I does that too but isn't limited to it. You can actually turn the room simulation off and use just the compensation EQ for a bunch of headphone brands.

Ok didn't know that

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau