Dont be put off by the "pros"

• I hope that people will still keep sharing their new profiles and rigs and not be intimidated by the high quality more professional profiles now available.you dont need to use very expensive or "legendary"amps to create a great profile,it is still very much a "dark art"in which many different factors including luck play a part.so keep sharing,if it sounds good it is good. :thumbup:

• Glad you posted this jeepster :thumbup: . Was starting to look very corporate clique tm., until you posted.

I wholeheartedly agree.

What some people are saying is getting right up my nose about the "pro" profiles and really putting down what people had also spent their time and money on ie the profiles shared. Ive been trying to bite my tongue not to reply to the corporate greed posts about paying necessarily means better etc. Some have seemed quite rude to any with a different view. It seems to me if we share what we can afford to share some will always afford more and some less doesnt mean in comparison its not the same effort though, just different resources.

Also agree professor tweed most of my favourite profiles have been openly shared or factory. I think its a bit of a knock on Mr Kemper to suggest that his profiles are not up to much, cause with the right tweeking they are as good as others.

• sometimes I wish there were less than perfect profiles... sometimes the kemper amp makes even the smallest amps with boxy tones sound too good... and i prefer the normal boxy sound if it's what the amp sounds like naturally.. the vox atv4 10 inch combo.. nice boxy crunchy smooth tones, but profiled it sounds too nice.. :) or I am just going mental :) I guess maybe a speaker change in the kemper and eq could get the same though

look on youtube for what I mean, well let me find a link, I hope my friend doesn't mind me posting his link, so please keep the conversation here... the second video has a link to the profiles atv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziiMnlIpiZ8&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyX5zyL6i9A&feature=relmfu

I really hope this community doesn't get snobby at all.... it would be a terrible shame... :whistling:

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Hi stevoe,

I think when you close mic the cab speaker you get much more the tone of the speaker than the cab. So what you're hearing in the room is the effect of everything in the room and your amp interacting, whereas the mic is like having ear right up against the speaker. So a 410 cab will sound closer to a 110 cab close miced than in the room I think. I'm not sure if the kemper can capture the room sound as it would need to capture a much longer piece of information, like a reverb convolution.

I have noticed that fuzz pedals like fuzz faces, octavers dont capture well either, which I think might be due to the spluttering and gating effects not being part of the programming to listen and produce.

Richie

• For my tastes some of the profiles on rig exchange are better than any others Ive tried I would use the word 'Pro' cautiously i personally prefer the rig exchange profiles to the stock profiles and others Ive tried by a long way. There are many pro rigs there for free i cant see that changing anytime soon.

• Many of my favourite profiles are made by new members that , said by them, " don't have " experience in profiling...

• For my tastes some of the profiles on rig exchange are better than any others Ive tried I would use the word 'Pro' cautiously i personally prefer the rig exchange profiles to the stock profiles and others Ive tried by a long way. There are many pro rigs there for free i cant see that changing anytime soon.

Well actually i meant pro in the sense that you have to pay for them but i didnt want to get into that whole paying for rigs debate again.i too tend to prefer the user profiles to factory,pack etc.all the rigs i am actually using for recording are from the rig exchange.

• Nice thread -

I'm assuming this is all in response to and44's pack that he just put up.
    I was excited myself to see it coming out, and bummed when I saw that he will be charging for it.
    Mainly because you see that list of amps and you're like "HOLY S#$*, Now I will finally have some GOOD profiles"

But he did spend some money and a lot of time getting those together, so why not? people are paying for them that don't wanna spend their own time profiling.

I've actually downloaded both of And44's first 2 profile sessions, Twice. The first time, I was like "meh" and I deleted them. Then I saw everyone giving it so much praise, so I was like "hmmm, maybe I should try it again" and you know what? I deleted them again. Not saying they are bad, but they aren't the best I've heard.
    I know he said with this new pack it sounds better, and it probably does, but like some of you have already posted, it's all about mic quality, mic placement and amp settings.

Anyone can do this.

I have been downloading every rig that has been on the profile exchange and have been rating them since the beginning of May. I have found about 15 to 20 amazing profiles by random people, and have been recording with them. I'd say 80-90% of the profiles I delete because they are not my thing, or I already have a profile that sounds similar.
    The Rig Exchange is awesome and it's FREE! For it to work correctly we all have to be diligent about rating and posting and sharing, and I think we all are.

I'm sure someday the Kemper team will update the rig exchange to make it easier for people to browse through the rigs and sort them by amp type and rating.

Anyway - not trying to start a war, and I think it's great that Andy put so much work into profiling and supporting the KPA, he's made a lot of people happy,
    I haven't personally tried any of the profiles in his new pack, so maybe they ARE crap-your-pants awesome, but I'm sure you can find just as good of profiles and some even better on the RE

• I have bought his Tone King Imperial profile because the Champ (only 99p) got me curious and I'd really like to play that amp. It's a very good profile, although I have still had to tweak. But there have been some wonderful free ones up recently. I really like Alexis Boyer's two, the Vibroverb and the Two Rock.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Ok Ive been hiding from this thread, and this very subject, as quite frankly it upsets me. - not because "im so good and rig exchange is poor!" as thats not what this is about.

There may very well be better profiles out there than mine, but thats OK. and I hope it continues for everyones sake.

My latest pack is not about how good they are, its about the time it took and the effort I went through to get the amp supplied in the first place to profile them, plus studio time, and finally my own time doing such a big job.. it originally was going to be another free pack, but things overran and now ive a big hole in my pocket, so the only choice was to charge.. and I did so at a small cost of a beer with a friend. - considering what you get I'd say thats fair.

My intention was not to upset people, or turn this into a whats better mine or yours situation. - its just very rare you see the details Ive done on the rig exchange..my job was to supply you with a full amp! not a part of one..

The Rig exchange is great. and will always be great, I took a different route, and Im glad of the people I made happy, as thats the result.
    If I decide to keep on profiling, then I'll most likely do some more free ones and charged ones.

Ironic as it was, I was the one most against this charge.. but until you are faced with my situation... I was outta luck! and it has to be justified.
    several folk on this forum can vouch for me, as Ive had long conversations with some about how I didn't want to charge vs recouping my money. - it came to a point of no return.. so I had to re-think. and this was my option.

So Im glad everyone has there own opinion and Im in no way bitter, just upsets me.
    Thanks for your opinion though, I'd rather have the truth.
    Andy

• I myself don't see what the problem is, and I do not see it as corporate greed what Andy (and44) has done by charging for his profiles.

If people don't want to pay for profiles they don't have to, there are plenty available on the forum and in the rig-exchange that are free, including a great many from and44 that are free if you don't want to donate some money.

Now maybe the people complaining about corporate greed have posted loads of profiles here that they have done for free, work every evening doing charity work, etc. But I doubt it!

• It's the attitude that goes with that. The rig/profile exchange is about openness, it's in the spirit of sharing and community and everyone working together. I think it's fine if Andy wants to charge for his profiles people can pick and chose if they want to monetize their time, effort and skillset and it's perfectly legitimate to do so, but I really hope that doesn't become the norm.

Personally I'm pretty unlikely to buy any commercial profiles, nor sell any that I've made, especially after already plonking down nearly 2 big ones on the unit itself I'm just not prepared to be nickle and dimed by third parties. And to be honest I'm not sure if selling profiles doesn't open up a potential can of worms legally with the amp manufacturers (making profit off of their brands). However that's for others to decide. For me I love the free profiles and will continue to make and share my own rig experiments and profiles on the exchange as well as use many of the superb profiles I see there, I don't feel I'm missing out by doing so.

• I hope that people will still keep sharing their new profiles and rigs and not be intimidated by the high quality more professional profiles now available.you dont need to use very expensive or "legendary"amps to create a great profile,it is still very much a "dark art"in which many different factors including luck play a part.so keep sharing,if it sounds good it is good. :thumbup:

this is what it's all about for me. I'm afraid it could make any "newcomers" think "why should I bother putting up my amateur-profiles when there are pro's selling complete packs with high-end amps recorded in pro-studios" I really hope this worst-case scenario won't come true ;(

• Let's not use the term "pro profiles" just because they are not free. It might be a bit misleading, especially for newbies. I have no problems with this whole charging some money for profiles thing, but indicating their obvious superiority over the free ones is stupid.
    FWIW my favourite profiles are all free. :P

• Per talks a lot of sense. There's room for both views here and I hope it doesn't upset And44 because he's clearly put some hard work in here. From a certain point of view what he's done could look like a canny business model - give the first two packs away for free, establish the quality of his work, build up some (deserved) positive feeling, then put up a nice website and forum with a large selection of quality amps - to obtain at a price. And that's perfectly fine. He's not even the first to do this - Armin did this a while ago albeit on a slightly smaller scale. Bare in mind that the moment someone charges for profiles they'll take on responsibility for "customer satisfaction" and will find themselves responding to every little query that a customer has... remember these are guitarists! That could keep him busy for a while. ;) . I wonder what CK thinks about all this... probably thankful that it distracts people away from a librarian requests - although now with these 322 odd new profiles the clamor for one will mount!

Like most things - if people are happy with the quality they'll bite if not then it'll fade away. Most of the best profiles have been released for free and due to the 'black arts' nature of profiling I think that could continue for the foreseeable future. I hope so because this place has consistently put a smile on my face these last couple of months. Thanks to ALL those that contribute here. It's a good time to be a guitarist :thumbup:

Brett

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs