Dont be put off by the "pros"

• it could make any "newcomers" think "why should I bother putting up my amateur-profiles when there are pro's selling complete packs with high-end amps recorded in pro-studios" I really hope this worst-case scenario won't come true ;(

Actually a big risk for the community. I'm busy cleaning up rigs on my unit and most of the ones that are surviving this massacre are from normal users. Undoubtedly the ones from Paco, Andy, Till, Bill, dote (your D clone is still one of my favorites) just to name some, are top, but you have some exceptional ones between the "normal" ones.
    It's all about music, and with the Kemper you can give me whatever crap rig and I can tweak it to sound at least very good!!! 8)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Hi KPA friends,

for me both worlds can live together in peace! I do not have any problem to pay for some profiles (and I bought some from Andy's new web page). It takes a lot of time and also equipment to do this, both I do not have. So I am very glad if I can "download" great sounding for few Euros. The free profiles can be as good as the "pro" ones and I do not see any reason why not to continue with both approaches. Everybody just does as he likes. If I will get a new amp I will profile it and share of course.

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• From AND 44 "its about the time it took and the effort I went through to get the amp supplied in the first place to profile them, plus studio time, and
    finally my own time doing such a big job." That's why I'm happy to pay for a profile of a great amp which hasn't yet gone up on rig exchange.

But to fellow profilers - keep them coming. I've still got a few amps left in my locker which I'm planning to profile.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Um, i am a huge fan of Andys profiling, I thought his first 2 packs were outstanding, and profile for profile more of his have passed the cut test than usual, and i think this new pack clearly represents a huge investment of time and effort to pull together, and from what i've listened to so far, has some stunning sounds in it. Andy is a sound engineer, i've found out after exchanging a few messages, and relies on his work in that field for his living, and like most things these days, its a bit patchy. I think that by taking the time to produce such a huge collection, of some iconic amps, it is entirely fair for him to try and recoup his costs, and even make a profit. The majority of profiles on here have come from guys who profile their own equipment, and share it free, and some of those profiles are stunning too, but I think the market forces will ultimately dictate what happens down the line. Andy will not get rich off the back of this, but if you buy the whole pack you are paying about £2 an amp for some stellar, well thought through, profiles, for me thats damn good value when you consider the richness they bring into my life, i really hope he does make some sort of profit, he deserves it. At the same time, this community will always be significantly about the passionate supporter posting half a dozen profiles for sharing, and long may it continue. I think Andys approach is totally valid, and i think the 99% of other profilers are equally, there has only been 2 guys who have taken it in this direction, and if there are more, good luck to them, but clearly the numbers speak for themselves, this will always remain a generous passionate place, and in the majority, free, this is just slight evolution, not revolution.

• blimey, when i get typing

there was another important point i wanted to make, i have no amps, i've tried many times using nice amps in my home studio space and it is impossible to get what i want out of them here, so the kemper is by a country mile the best alternative. For that reason i have nothing to give back, so when someone does go that extra distance for my benefit, i am happy to reward that, i did donate for his first 2 packs, and have been happy to buy the new one

• Watching this thread has been like watching the Lynx vs Microsoft argument in the computing world. The simple fact is the world is big enough for both just as the world is big enough for free and paid profiles.

For me, I support And44 for the followimg reasons. It cost him money to create his profiles and given the price he is selling them for, he will clearly not become rich. The price is very reasonable. Second, I trust And44 based upon previous work that he has choosen quality amps with good tone. Lastly he has profiled so many amps, he has got the art down to a science or close to being a science as possible.

And44's profiles are not a competition to the profile exchange. It is a supplement though that benefits the community as it provides an alternative should the community not provide an option that And44's site may posess. Lastly, I would offer this consideration. Unlike the attitude of the Axe creator in his forums, And44 is a contributing member in both profiles for free and sharing his experience with the community.

There is no threat in the work And44 has done and there is room for both paid and free profiles. Lets move on boys and girls. We are here to enjoy the music created by our cool Kemper Amps. So lets get back to the task of enjoying our tunes.

USMC7312

MY GEAR:
    Taylor T5 Koa, Taylor SBS1, Fender Select Koa Telecaster | PRS SE 50 w/ 2x12 Cab | Kemper Profiling Amp | 2x Tannoy 601a Monitors

• What if someone bought his profiles and put them on the profile exchange. What would happen? I don't think he can copyright the profiles.
    Not saying I would do that , just wondering.

• What if someone bought his profiles and put them on the profile exchange. What would happen? I don't think he can copyright the profiles.
    Not saying I would do that , just wondering.

That would be easily spotted, I think we are all members of a community....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Easy to identify the culprit through... offender profiling.

Profuse apologies :whistling:

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• I would never buy them that defeats the purpuse of the rig exchange. I've tried his other profiles and they just do not work for me. The AC20 was close. His profiles are no more pro than others.
    Wish him the best.

• I hope that people will still keep sharing their new profiles and rigs and not be intimidated by the high quality more professional profiles now available.you dont need to use very expensive or "legendary"amps to create a great profile,it is still very much a "dark art"in which many different factors including luck play a part.so keep sharing,if it sounds good it is good. :thumbup:

Guys, instead of discussing the same "paying for profiles" topic again and again we should be discussing the original subject of this thread. Imo, the real problem is the design of the rig exchange as it is at the moment. When we dicussed the features of the rig exchange a few months ago before the rating system was available, i already said it and now i still feel the same way:

A "flat" rating system does not get us anywhere. Why? Because you simply cannot judge tastes in guitar tones. It may work with drum sounds, where a certain tonal quality may reflect the abilities of a producer. But guitar tones? This is so damn subjective that it will be impossible to satisfy all kinds of guitar players with a certain rig. Not only that their musical taste may be highly different but also just a different guitar might let a "pro" rig sound like shit. From my own perspective i was highly disappointed by the KPA´s factory rigs. Many rock and blues guys love those tones, but for me a a metal guy, i simply have no use for them. If i had to vote for them on the rig exchange they wouldnt have got a nice scoring from me, though they were done by some top "pros". Now as as the KPA team decided to integrate some my early rigs into the firmware, many players who have no use for such tones will not like them. If i was to get bad ratings for this this, might this stop me from posting new stuff? Of course it would, since nobody really loves to get criticised.

Even worse many rigs that may be tonal heaven for some users get "buried" just because they get bad or no ratings by other users who just have no use for a certain type of sound. This really is a shame and something should be done about it.

I still suggest to change the rig exchange in the following way:
    - remove flat ratings by stars or grades, instead just add something like a "thank you" button for a each rig.
    - add music style categories, that the uploader might choose from a drop down menu. Like "blues, rock, jazz, shred, heavy metal, thrash metal" ...
    - allow the addition of comments, to give some hints or something, there you could also like some soundcloud samples to get an idea of what it sounds like.
    - implement sorting by amounts of "thank yous", music style, uploader, Amp and cabinet brand...

What do you think???

• Tyler: a big +1 from me to just about everything from the above!

(this is also why I haven't rated one single rig yet. It just makes no sense... We might as well rate guitars, or pickups, or artists...)

• Yes i think comments is better than stars etc,but really we have that already right here.i always check this section and if there"s a hi-gain around that people are liking then i will download it to check it out for myself.also i didnt intend my original post in this thread to lead into that whole paying for profiles debate,which hopefully is dead,buried,gone,deceased etc etc. an ex debate.

• Actually a comment make more sense only if you see who posted it, by now I know who has a similar taste and if they liked it then there is a good chance that I like it as well...

• Tyler i agree with this 100% i too shared those concerns before rig exchange was up. the stars rating as it is now is meaningless for the reasons you outlined. If i love a profile i will give it 5 stars if i don't like a profile i wont use the rating system at all. i cannot understand people giving poor star ratings just because a profile does not fit their taste. It will put people off sharing in the future then we all loose out. Also i really like your new suggestions I hope Christoph reads this thread and implements these changes