Quad Cortex and tremendous amount of aliasing

• Hi!

Just saw this video on YouTube from a YT channel that reviews a lot of guitar plugins (but apparently the guy dropped plugins review for a Kemper!)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He’s explaining why some plugins sounds harsh, fizzy and have an ear tiring effect.

it’s very interesting as he offer some links about the neural DSP capture tech in the description and prevented me to buy another Neural DSP product for now. I had that ear tiring effect when using Fortin and couldn’t figure out why. Now I think I understand.

if somebody could do the same for Kemper it would be cool. I don’t have those tools. But I don’t have ANY bad treble range using my Kemper or some plugins like Scuffham Amps...

• I'm sitting here, specifically with the Gojira plugin, just trying to find something to complain about some of these sounds. Sure, they may not be for you, but they just sound so damn good coming through this Dark Voice tube amp into H650s. I hope this aliasing never bothers me.

• if somebody could do the same for Kemper it would be cool.

I just did it:

Neural Quad Cortex

And to add just a little bit of additional info here:

Once you introduce oversampling (like 8x oversampling in the other video) and the appropriate linear low pass filtering, it will result in quite a bit of added latency. Latency you don't want to have while playing your guitar.

So if you record a DI track in your DAW with a guitar sim plugin, you can keep the oversampling (and corresponding filtering) off while recording .... and only engage it after you've finished recording.

This isn't possible with a hardware device in a "live" scenario for obvious reasons. So Kemper and all the other hardware manufacturers have to find the right balance of low latency and "acceptable" aliasing. That's just the way it is in digital audio and the creation of harmonic content (distortion/saturation). At least for the time being.

• Nice demo ;)

Kemper and amp sim plugins alike oversample already anyway, and it's the process of upsampling and downsampling that adds latency, not really the rate of oversampling... if anything oversampling higher would theoretically be less latency provided there's enough processing power.

Interestingly, people are reporting the Gojira plugin in the OP video has significantly higher latency than other amp sims or even Neural's other amp sim plugins. Presumably this is because of their newfangled sample rate interpolation algorithm.

• After playing various modelers and the Kemper mostly exclusively for 15 years or more, both live and in the studio, one thing that has been a constant is every device has its own unique tonal signature it applies to all tones going through it. In my case I couldn't hear it until I played the unit for awhile, but then when I heard it, I couldn't unhear it. The Kemper is no exception BTW, it does have a sonic signature it places on everything. The difference in my case is I love the Kemper's coloration, where the other modelers I didn't. Still love the Kemper to this day though, and am not likely to change as I haven't heard anything I like better in 5 years of use.

I wonder if some of the sonic characteristics mentioned in this thread are specific to the Neural tech, and are present for all users. But some like the tones with that signature on them, where others don't. If that is the case, there might not be a lot you can do to make yourself like it, might be best to move on for now.