(SOLVED) Best headphones for Kemper?

• Hi everyone,

based on my other thread here (Kabinet vs Studio Heaphones) it seems to have turned out that my Beyerdynamic 880 Pro are not a great choice for the Kemper.

Compared to what I hear through my Kabinet around 85-90db they sound very dark and unexciting. Others have confirmed that they are not a good match (I am still confused as why since they are very popular and neutral studio headphones). For some reason it seems some people like normal hifi headphones better.

So here's my question: What headphones do you use to hear the profiles "as is"? I am scared that if I mix with my 880 Pros I will set up all my profiles and mixes far too bright.

Thanks!

• Do you use the "space" option on the headphones? It clears up muddy bass some.

I'm using Marantz MP4s against JBL306s for monitors. With the "space" option, my headphones are pretty similar to the tone of the monitors -maybe a slight bit darker but not much at all.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Do you use the "space" option on the headphones? It clears up muddy bass some.

Yeah, I think we have even discussed that in my other thread. As I already said, in my ears space doesn't change EQ much, only adds room to the tone which can help hear all the different frequencies a little clearer.

My Beyerdynamics definitely lack treble compared to what I hear through the cabinet at 90db.

• I use Audio Technica ATH-M50X

This is very funny: I just spent a couple of minutes with the headphone department of Thomann and the guy suggested exactly these headphones, too, so I ordered them.

Turns out the Beyerdynamic have too high Ohm for both the Kemper headphone output as well as my 6i6 Focusrite (despite it stating that it can power 250Ohm).

So the Audio Technica it is.

• This is very funny: I just spent a couple of minutes with the headphone department of Thomann and the guy suggested exactly these headphones, too, so I ordered them.

Turns out the Beyerdynamic have too high Ohm for both the Kemper headphone output as well as my 6i6 Focusrite (despite it stating that it can power 250Ohm).

So the Audio Technica it is.

I have DT700 250 ohm, they work fine with the kemper, ok volume. Also have some M50s, and K701. It can drive all, but in the case of the Beyer, volumen is fine, not at its top, but driven ok.

The answer is 42

• I have DT700 250 ohm, they work fine with the kemper, ok volume. Also have some M50s, and K701. It can drive all, but in the case of the Beyer, volumen is fine, not at its top, but driven ok.

The DT 880 Pros that I have also have 250Ohm and the Kemper does seem to drive it but the audio image is poor. The 80 Ohm version of the 770 would apparently sound better. I'm definitely selling mine, hoping that the new ones will finally sound ok.

• there no best headphones for the kemper,you need to try for yourself

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• The DT 880 Pros that I have also have 250Ohm and the Kemper does seem to drive it but the audio image is poor. The 80 Ohm version of the 770 would apparently sound better. I'm definitely selling mine, hoping that the new ones will finally sound ok.

DT880 are a nice par of cans, I say keep them.

The answer is 42

• DT880 are a nice par of cans, I say keep them.

From what I learned today they need a headphone amplifier and I'm not willing to buy that.

Boy, if the new headphones sound better you can scratch 90% of my comments here complaining about muffled profiles....

• From what I learned today they need a headphone amplifier and I'm not willing to buy that.

Boy, if the new headphones sound better you can scratch 90% of my comments here complaining about muffled profiles....

One word of warning, you might want to try the kemper with some studio speakers, the experience is different on headphones, not better. I normally use the cans late at night, rest of the day I just use my power amp and cab, or a par of headrush in stereo. Even with my best phones (T1 beyer + amp) there is no comparison, speakers sound better.

The answer is 42

• I'm due for a new pair myself since my foams are coming apart on my mixing headphones. I see Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are the most popular at Sweetwater. I tested them at a local Guitar Center and thought they sounded the best in that price range ($100-150). Had defined highs and lows. So, that might be my next set.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Headphones

I really think it's a waste of money to buy super expensive headphones for mixing purposes. Most people listen to music today with cheap ear buds or a friggin cell phone speaker, wireless into a car radio, or go to a night club with a PA severely distorted.:/ Prove me wrong.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I really think it's a waste of money to buy super expensive headphones for mixing purposes. Most people listen to music today with cheap ear buds or a friggin cell phone speaker, wireless into a car radio, or go to a night club with a PA severely distorted.:/ Prove me wrong.

Strange comment.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I'm due for a new pair myself since my foams are coming apart on my mixing headphones. I see Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are the most popular at Sweetwater. I tested them at a local Guitar Center and thought they sounded the best in that price range ($100-150). Had defined highs and lows. So, that might be my next set.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Headphones

I really think it's a waste of money to buy super expensive headphones for mixing purposes. Most people listen to music today with cheap ear buds or a friggin cell phone speaker, wireless into a car radio, or go to a night club with a PA severely distorted.:/ Prove me wrong.

I prefer monitoring the Kemper with an actual speaker than headphones. I've bought the same range price headphones with AKG 701 & Beyer 880

You are entirely right and i'd go further.

Why waste 1000-3000$ in a modeler/Profiler, 2000$ in a Gibson/Fender, etc ? I really think a multi-FX at 200-300$, a Harley Benton with good pickups (all is here IMO, we can even play on a wooden board) are enough in those exemples, even for gigs...

The majority of the audience will not be able to distinguish the difference.

I've switched from a Helix LT to the Kemper Stage (double price). I think the other members of my band hear NO differences at all....But for me, at home, when i play alone in front of my speaker, there's no question, for me, The Stage is much much better....