Latency when switching rigs within a performance

• I have contacted support and sent them a video of the issue. Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Did you ever figure this out? I am also experiencing the same thing. Switching from a clean to overdriven sound give me a slight pause/delay in the sound. Curious if you managed to get to the bottom of this.

• I’ve ALWAYS had a latency when switching rigs using a midi foot controller. I’ve even written about it here when i first got the kemper 6 or 7 years ago. Coming from a jmp1 preamp, changes on the kemper seemed really late. I measured it to around 170ms. Slower when going from one performance to another, than within one performance.

However i’ve just learned to live with it and nowadays i don’t really think about it. Back before loopswitchers and rack units, switching from a clean sound to lead with delay, chorus and boost, took like one second, so really 170ms is not that big an issue for me.

Perhaps it’s better with the kemper control than midi.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• I’ve ALWAYS had a latency when switching rigs using a midi foot controller. I’ve even written about it here when i first got the kemper 6 or 7 years ago. Coming from a jmp1 preamp, changes on the kemper seemed really late. I measured it to around 170ms. Slower when going from one performance to another, than within one performance.

However i’ve just learned to live with it and nowadays i don’t really think about it. Back before loopswitchers and rack units, switching from a clean sound to lead with delay, chorus and boost, took like one second, so really 170ms is not that big an issue for me.

Perhaps it’s better with the kemper control than midi.

yeah it kinda seems like I’ll have to learn to live with it as well.

• We don't all use this tool the same way. I use "rigs" as songs. Some cover more than one some need two. "Performances" mean nothing to me, just another bank of songs that I am able to switch around if our set(s) change (that's why I NEED a LAYOUT D so the "Rig" can be in large print, not just the performance.) I notice it seems to be taking longer now to switch between performances. Would having less rigs ON the kemper speed anything up. Is leaner, meaner?

• We don't all use this tool the same way. I use "rigs" as songs. Some cover more than one some need two. "Performances" mean nothing to me, just another bank of songs that I am able to switch around if our set(s) change (that's why I NEED a LAYOUT D so the "Rig" can be in large print, not just the performance.) I notice it seems to be taking longer now to switch between performances. Would having less rigs ON the kemper speed anything up. Is leaner, meaner?

Good question. If that was the case, i’d seriously erase all but 10 rigs.

• One thing i’ve noticed is that sometimes when going from a distorted rig in one performance, to a clean rig in another, is that it is like the contents of the rigs changes in different tempos. So the sound will get all strange for about 200ms.

I don’t really have a problem switching a bit early, that’s just a matter of getting used to it, but i feel uncomfortable with the sound getting strange in the interim between sending a midi pc from my footcontroller, to the rig is fully switched. It wasn’t always like this, was it?

• Hi all, I just meet the same behaviour with mw kemper rack with midi automation (cubase or cymatic). USB is disconnected; only midi cable from interface to kemper in.

In performance mode, switching rig takes 200 ms (I made an audio record on cubase, latency is considered from where the CC is sent and when the sound change(for exemple from distorted to clean).

I initiate a full backup, initiate a factory reset and restore, but still the same.

Very painful.

Does anyone has an idea please?

Thanks

• I'm just having problems with Last OS release (8.7.4)

In Performance Mode, Some, not all of them, MIDI Program Changes sent from the DAW or Midi footcontroller are Terribly late changing the sound.

:(Yesterday everything was OK as usual.

• Just open a ticket at support last week, we found out a bug in the kpa os.

In fact I was switching rig in a performance using CC, which takes almost 300ms. Support reproduce the same, which is an issue they adress to the dev.

Switching rig using Program Change is a workaround as we have 60ms then. So for everyone who experience latencw in rig change in performance mode using CC, use then Program Change. Just launch the switch 2 bar before (in 1/32) and it works like a charm.

Note that CC for stomps and wha are not affected from my testing.

Edited once, last by gabcac ().

• Updated my Powerhead to the latest OS today and having the same problem. Switching slots in perf. mode takes up to 3 seconds. This was never the case before and is now the reason i'll turn on my Mesa Boogie MKIV combo after 5 years i think. Will perfoming old skool again, can't play with the band with this latency. Hopefully this will sort out soon with an update. In the meanwhile the Kemper is off duty...

• I am having problems too. Over a second when switching between performances. And add to that, strange things happen. It’s like some parts of the rig switches faster than other parts, so the sound becomes really strange for a second. Quite unacceptable, might need to go back to browse mode.

• .. I had to switch back to 8.7.3 when everything was good.

in the mean time It came out that something may change depending by the time there is between two Program Change Messages.

in my case it must be at least 2 sec for not having the second Sound to be Late.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

the last answer of my #support-ticket is ''our engineering si working on improvements. Watch out for the next revision, probably 8.7.6''

Let's wait, but 8.7.3 is ok right now. I don't have any issue right now

• Ok thanks for your reply. I might also switch back to 8.7.3. That version worked also perfect for me.

• I am having problems too. Over a second when switching between performances. And add to that, strange things happen. It’s like some parts of the rig switches faster than other parts, so the sound becomes really strange for a second. Quite unacceptable, might need to go back to browse mode.

I’m glad I didn’t update.

saw the update notification and as I had painfully spend some much hours preparing my performances and programme change for the summer tour, this time I said « no not this time boy, play safe »

that kind of bug and behavior is also quite unacceptable for that kind of « pro » unit. Every update don’t really solve the previous problems and bring some more.

The kemper can produce great tones but I definitely don’t trust the dev team anymore.

• I’m glad I didn’t update.

saw the update notification and as I had painfully spend some much hours preparing my performances and programme change for the summer tour, this time I said « no not this time boy, play safe »

that kind of bug and behavior is also quite unacceptable for that kind of « pro » unit. Every update don’t really solve the previous problems and bring some more.

The kemper can produce great tones but I definitely don’t trust the dev team anymore.

I am not even on the newest KAOS. I’ve had this problem for about 6 months. It is not consistent however. Sometimes it’s fine, then a single change will take what seems forever.