I hate to be negative but I'm about to go back to a tube amp. [solved]

• I have had the Kemper stage for about 1 1/2 years, I think it is great for recording and playing through headphones but my frustration level with it for live situations has reached a point where I might throw in the towel. i am not a touring musician so for me I just want to go to practice and go to a few gigs per year, hook up to an amp, turn a few knobs, step on a few pedal and play. I love computers and technology but for me I am just thinking too much about what to tweak and I think it is taking away from my playing. I need the amp behind me to sound good or what is the point? I don't have time to tweak with our live PA other than at gigs and who wants to tweak your rig while you are playing a gig and supposed to be having fun? I can get my FRFR to sound OK but probably not like dialing in a good tube amp and letting it sing. The Kemper truly is a great product but after countless hours of tinkering, sifting through different rigs, purchasing commercial rigs I think I'm done. I have had a lot of help on this form and I really appreciate that, maybe someone can still talk me out of selling it.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• If you dont like it after such a long time just sell it, not worth the hassle. Analog is simpler and you would avoid tweaker syndrome. Digital is not for everyone same for analog.

• I still love tube amps and may still buy them at the right price. I still have my pedal board and waiting on another pedal to arrive for it. I love the Kemper just as much. I can only bring one to gig with so the Kemper gives me way more options for the stage. But I understand completely how other guitarists just want to plug into a tube amp that you basically set once and forget it.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I did a 300 person wedding gig with nothing but a Kemper and a DXR10. It was awesome. Would I have preferred more pant flapping on stage? YES!!!

That is why I got a Kabinet (2 actually).

Now all I need is a gig.:D

Anyway I love how the kabinet sounds with imprints.

That being said, nothing works for everyone, and I hope you find your happy tone place.

• I did a 300 person wedding gig with nothing but a Kemper and a DXR10. It was awesome. Would I have preferred more pant flapping on stage? YES!!!

That is why I got a Kabinet (2 actually).

Now all I need is a gig.:D

Anyway I love how the kabinet sounds with imprints.

That being said, nothing works for everyone, and I hope you find your happy tone place.

Does the Kabinet sound a lot better than the FRFR?

• Hi, sstauffer,

I have had the Kemper stage for about 1 1/2 years, I think it is great for recording and playing through headphones but my frustration level with it for live situations has reached a point where I might throw in the towel. i am not a touring musician so for me I just want to go to practice and go to a few gigs per year, hook up to an amp, turn a few knobs, step on a few pedal and play. I love computers and technology but for me I am just thinking too much about what to tweak and I think it is taking away from my playing. I need the amp behind me to sound good or what is the point? I don't have time to tweak with our live PA other than at gigs and who wants to tweak your rig while you are playing a gig and supposed to be having fun? I can get my FRFR to sound OK but probably not like dialing in a good tube amp and letting it sing. The Kemper truly is a great product but after countless hours of tinkering, sifting through different rigs, purchasing commercial rigs I think I'm done. I have had a lot of help on this form and I really appreciate that, maybe someone can still talk me out of selling it.

Do you still have the amp(s) you were using before you got your Kemper Stage? Maybe it's time to get reacquainted with them. I'm not suggesting you get rid of your Stage. But rather, take some time to reset your context.

You didn't mention running the Stage through an amp and cabinet (or Kabinet/Kone), but if you want that amp in the room experience, you'll need to go that route. And I get it. If you have to haul all that stuff, then you may as well use an amp (and pedals) and live with the limitations of having one amp. And, if you're at a gig where you must run through a front of house PA, then you'll have to mic the amp, and hope for the best out front.

I'm not saying you shouldn't sell the Kemper, but I am suggesting you give yourself a break to revisit the other way of doing things.

For context: A few months ago, I set up a couple of EV M-12G cabinets with solid-state power amps for my monitors. I loved the sound. And I considered loading the cabinets with the Kemper Kones. But in the end, I knew I'd never drag all that stuff to a gig or a rehearsal. I also love the sound of the Stage through my FRFR system that I also use as my PA/FOH. It's a different experience, but for me, equally satisfying, and a LOT less work.

On another ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ , I really appreciate your posts, and I'd hate to see you go.

ST

• Going back to real tube amps is not negative at all.

I have owned all kinds of digital gear (Line6, Digitech, Yamaha, Korg, Boss, Zoom, Fractal Audio and now Kemper) and while using digital gear I learned what I really like ... then later I bought the tube amps I learned to love from the models.

For me it's not about using Kemper or tube amps - I love both for different reasons.

Nothing sounds even close to a full blown tube amp next to me - I love this so much!

But when I try to capture this sound - for recordings, in-ears, direct to PA... it's not so easy to get about the same sound.

And it's also very unpredictable.

For all this I love to take my time - profile my beloved tube amps in the way I like to sound it - and them be able to record and use this sound at any time.

So for me both is great!

... and I also love to use my large pedalboards - since playing with single hardware effects is also a lot of fun.

Use what works best for your needs - and enjoy :)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Nothing wrong with tube amps, I have even purchased a few new ones since owning my Kemper.

One thing I would suggest if you have not already. Profile your own amp in a way that you would use it (clean channel, dirty ) then recreate your pedals as you would use them with your tube amp. Put these two or three setups in a Performance and JUST use those. To tweak EQ just use the bass, mids, treble on the front face of the Kemper. You will see it can be as easy to use as your amp.

Once you profile your own amp and see how close the Kemper is, you will probably stick with it. You still might want to have a tube amp, just because ,well...we need them. Ha ha

Use a real cab for best amp feel that you are used to.

• Thanks for all the responses, I probably should have waited before I posted this, one of those things where I hit send and almost immediately wanted it back. I am glad I did though because it's nice to get the feedback and advice. I am not selling for now, I spent a few hours setting up my profiles with a boost in the Morph for leads and give that a shot. I am pretty happy with my clean sounds, just need that one higher gain profile that will satisfy me.

What FRFR were you using?

The Kabinet sounds really good to me, but the kicker is that amp in the room feel, along with the increased opportunity for natural feedback.

I'm using the Mission Engineering Gemini, It really does a good job, I have just been mic-ing it when I play out, I hate the thought of tweaking to the FOH during a gig and I am afraid it won't sound like it does coming out of the Gemini. I don't have the chance to tweak with the PA until we are at a gig or shortly before.

Hi, sstauffer,

Do you still have the amp(s) you were using before you got your Kemper Stage? Maybe it's time to get reacquainted with them. I'm not suggesting you get rid of your Stage. But rather, take some time to reset your context.

I still have my amps, I think I will get my Mesa back over to rehearsal and set my pedals back up (it's good to have more than one option.)

For all this I love to take my time - profile my beloved tube amps in the way I like to sound it - and them be able to record and use this sound at any time.

Use what works best for your needs - and enjoy :)

I am going to take this advice and profile my favorite sounds from my amps. - I forget that a tube amp isn't all that flexible, that's why I had different overdrive pedals to get different amounts of gain etc... and also why I got the Kemper in the first place! I appreciate all the comments and suggestions for now the Stage isn't going anywhere!

• For those using the Kemper Kab, do you have the powered Kemper or do you run it with an amp, if so what amp do you use or recommend?

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• Do you guys using the Kemper Kab, do you have the powered Kemper or do you run it with an amp, if so what amps do you use or recommend?

I use a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700. This is a stereo amp and I use it for that when I want to, or for mono as well. Having 2 Kabinets I can decide what fits the situation.

For mono only the PS170 looks good too.

Lots of choices out there.

• Nothing sounds even close to a full blown tube amp next to me - I love this so much!

But when I try to capture this sound - for recordings, in-ears, direct to PA... it's not so easy to get about the same sound.

And it's also very unpredictable.

This touches on a couple of reasons I ended up in the Kemper camp. Master volumes notwithstanding, there are times when the sound you really want out of a tube amp requires it to be just plain loud. Guitarists have been fighting venues (and sound guys) for decades over volume, and it's often required a compromise on tone to keep the peace.

And as you mentioned, miking an amp, whether for FOH or recording, is a tricky business. Minor movements have major consequences. And that's assuming the bass player doesn't stumble into it in the middle of the second set.

With the Kemper, I no longer have either of these concerns. If I want a Marshall on 20 (louder than 11 , of course, and an actual setting on my old Marshall), I just use the profile from the guy who was able to turn his Marshall up to 20 and capture it. I can get that cranked sound and then turn it down low enough to talk over. I then simply take the output and get exactly the same thing, night after night. So I'm completely covered for tone and consistency.

Now, like dmatthews said, all I need is a gig. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• There are no bad options in this scenario. Whatever works for you is right.

I went to a concert in a small venue on Saturday night and the opening act had 2 guitarists both using Helix units. They sounded great and like they were part of the mix.

The headliner band had just one electric guitarist playing a Gretsch into a little tube amp. His tone was very good, but pretty much the same for each song and very over- present in the room. His amp died about 3/4 of the way through and they couldn't revive it. One of the guys from the opening act quickly got him set up with a Helix and when he played a bit to test it was going he said "that sounds just like an amp" sarcastically. Then proceeded to sound way better in the mix for the rest of the show. ?

• I am about to sell my unpowered rack for a powered rack....so that I can run the kab for that amp in the room feel when practicing at home ( & hopefully live use soon (?)

Looking forward to playing my guitar without my may Mac on

shhhh Kemper remote next ....don’t tell my wife ☺️

• I am taking a different route now. I started looking at high dollar heads to play through my Marshall 4x12. Reading reviews and watching YouTube videos on a few that I was considering, all of the videos had the guys and ladies turning all the knobs to show how versatile the amp is. Who is going to turn the eq knobs for every song they are playing? I went back to the Kemper and decided that I was going to be an expert on it before I consider selling it! I have spent hours reading about it and tweaking it this week and now I can't wait for rehearsal Tuesday!I came across this thread this morning and it seems like I am not the first one to have mixed feelings about the Kemper. I am even more inspired now then I was when I bought it. If anyone follows sports there is something they call a sophomore slump and I think I had that. Now I'm pushing through, thanks for all the comments and inspiration.

• Some fall immediately in love with that machine (like me). Some need some time and maybe some advice and inspiration from outside like in this forum.

Only few don't love it in the end. Which is fine I guess and I understand those who do not want to spend more time on it etc. - but I really like your approach sstauffer to give it another try. Whatever comes out it will give you a better feeling with any final decision :thumbup:8)