"How to sound like" project

• Would you be enthusiastic about having a website where there is form when you can put an artist name, optionally an album and/or a specific song and find the rig use by the guitarist in real life and what factory rigs and presets use to sound like him ? 42

1. Yes, I would be very enthusiastic if there was a site like the one you suggest (41) 98%
    2. Yes, but I think I will not use it because I prefer to create my own rigs or to buy commercial rigs (1) 2%
    3. Not really, sorry (0) 0%
    4. Don't do it ! It's not the philosophy here, we don't want to see things like that (0) 0%
    5. Don't do it ! It's a good idea but I think you will break Kemper's rules or get the wrath of commercial rig sellers (0) 0%

Hello everyone !

I just received my Kemper this week and I'm really amazed by this tool ! It's a real pleasure to try all the amps that rock has known, and I think I will spent many hours just to try every rigs available on Rig Manager. I also bought a commercial pack to use same rigs as Slash an it's a big pleasure to take my guitar, just jam and listen as if it was, a bit, the sound of my favorite guitarist.

But, because there always a "but", I'm just a little confused compared to my old equipment, the GT-1. With this tool, I can go to Internet, on the official site or other, and find hundred of profiles to sound like Offspring guitarist, Rolling Stone guitarist etc. It's not new modulations or new IR, but just some people who play with the settings, and when they are satisfied, they published it.

I understand that in Kemper universe, it's not very possible because it could be unfair competition in relation to commercial profiles, and I think we need to have paid content to have quality content. But, I didn't find a website or a forum just to share how we could assemble the amps, cabinets and effects present by default on the Kemper to approach the sound of a particular guitarist.

So, I as I am a software developer, I would like to know if this community could be interested in a website, completely free, where the community would not publish any rig that we could download, but simply advices on how to assemble a rig with the default components and get closer the sound of a guitarist.

I imagine a form where I can put an artist name or a band name, optionally an album and/or a specific song and find two things : the list of amps, cabs and effects used in the real life by the guitarist, and a list, build by the community, to propose what amp, what settings, what preset and whatever I can use to make my own rig on the Kemper to sound like this guitarist. And everyone can and everyone could add artists, albums, songs, real life configuration and Kemper configuration suggestions and vote on whether the result is good or not.

Have a nice day, in music of course !

• AFAIK, all my guitar heroes never used a Kemper. They used tube amps. But if you are going to build a database of their signal chain of individual songs then I'm all in. I just don't see how you can get that info since many of the artists never share their exact settings of an amp or effect.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Yes it's my ambition ! Make a database of signal chain by guitarist, album and/or song in one side and a database of equivalent in factory amps and factory effects in the other side. After that, we could generate or submit equivalence between real rig used by our Guitar Heroes and a configuration on Kemper.

But you're right, the hardest part will be to collect this information. But I see everyday on social media some posts where there is photography of guitar hero equipment, so I think we can put them manually in the database gradually.

What do you think about that ?

• Yes it's my ambition ! Make a database of signal chain by guitarist, album and/or song in one side and a database of equivalent in factory amps and factory effects in the other side. After that, we could generate or submit equivalence between real rig used by our Guitar Heroes and a configuration on Kemper.

But you're right, the hardest part will be to collect this information. But I see everyday on social media some posts where there is photography of guitar hero equipment, so I think we can put them manually in the database gradually.

Absolutely I would love that, there was a website that did it before called Guitar Geek, they took the site down for some reason, but here is an archive of the site. _ I loved to go on there before and look, it had the signal chain diagrams and all the details. This was before I had the Kemper but it would be nice to have now. Now guitargeek.com goes to the Vanderbilly YouTube channel. I don't know if they are affiliated or if Vanderbilly just bought the .com name. -- Here is another site that does that.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• The trick will be not to just post the type and brand of gear they used but those elusive settings they used. If you can get that info then I'd subscribe!

Your first project is to get me settings for Neil "Spyder" Geraldo @ Pat Benatar's tone. He never used much effects and I think he had some dry signal in his tone. Killer sound!

• This is what happens when you tell programmers to "shelter in place." :)

I have a suggestion for your project that might make it both more useful and more in harmony with Kemper's own efforts.

Rig Manager has a gazillion profiles and there's a fair amount of metadata, but it's still difficult to find what you're looking for sometimes. Many people (like me when I first got the Kemper) think of a profile in terms of an amp. So I downloaded all these Marshalls and hated them. Turns out they were dialed in for metal (and awesome for that) but I play classic rock. So it's not about the amp, it's about the tone you're looking for. I don't care if a Marshall can do metal, funk, or jazz. I want the sound that I want, not some specific amp.

I think your "how to sound like" idea is good because it gives people a known reference point. If you say sound like the xyz song from the abc band, I'll know exactly what that tone is. However, and this is the suggestion, I don't think listing all their gear and settings would be the biggest payoff for the Kemper crowd. Honestly, I don't care if it's a Pignose with a 57 or a Fender Twin run through 14 different pedals. All I care about is getting the sound.

What if your database was how to get the xyz song's tone, and what I find when I look that up is a reference to one or more Kemper profiles that would give me that sound? They could be free from Rig Manager or commercial. Maybe with some extra notes like use this effect on the verse, turn it off and use the another effect on the chorus, but the main thing is point me to the profile that will give me "the sound."

This approach would benefit commercial profilers, shine a spotlight on the great free profiles in Rig Manager, and allow the user to find "that sound" by looking it up on your website and then going to find that profile. Everyone wins, and the ease of use factor would be huge because many guitarists are exactly as lazy as I am. I don't care about the 7 pedal settings the guy in the band used to get the tone. Just tell me which profile to use.

Of course, you'll need to make sure you stay on the straight and narrow legally and not use any intellectual property, pictures, brands, etc. that you don't have permission to use. (Pro tip for the younger generation: just because you say it's "fair use" doesn't mean it actually is.) You'll also want to make sure you comply with any relevant terms of service from Kemper regarding Rig Manager and other such things. But as long as you're diligent about that sort of thing, I think you could build a very useful resource for Kemper crowd.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• But you're right, the hardest part will be to collect this information. But I see everyday on social media some posts where there is photography of guitar hero equipment, so I think we can put them manually in the database gradually.

actually, finding the information is unlikely to be even close to being the hardest part. Most of that info is out there already. I remember growing up through the 80’s and 90’s reading Guitar Player and reading all the interviews about what gear my heroes were using. However, when it comes to classic recordings the sound is way more than the guitarist’s rig. Itsnthe room it was recorded in, the mics used AND their positions, the Mic preamps/desk, Eq, Compression etc. Most of the time the artists were totally unaware of that (sometimes because the didn’t understand it but had an engineer that did butmften because they were too drunk or stoned to care ?).

It is very easy to find most guitarist’s signal chains and copy them i. The Kemper. However, the sound of a profiled rig is the amp, FX and mic etc. Just listing the gear the guitarist used will only get a fraction of the way there.

However, a website that didn’t just list the gear but actually walked through how to tweak settings, what to listen for when doing so etc would be a valuable resource.

• Itsnthe room it was recorded in, the mics used AND their positions, the Mic preamps/desk, Eq, Compression etc. Most of the time the artists were totally unaware of that (sometimes because the didn’t understand it but had an engineer that did butmften because they were too drunk or stoned to care ?).

Neil Geraldo had his mics in back of the open-backed cabs. Makes all the difference.

• Consider what the engineer, producer and mastering is doing to the sound.

You have Rooms, Mics, EQ, FX, Plug-ins, compression and all sorts of manipulation.

I work with studios who are willing to share their process with me.

The amp and pedals are just the beginning of the destination. 8)

• Yes, that is a fairly common technique.

I agree with you about Neil’s tone. Pat isn’t one of my all time favourite singers (although I do like some of her stuff) so I don’t listen to Neil enough but both his sound and tone are definitely massively under rated.

Another underrated tone I like is Pat Travers. Love that Crash and Burn LP. But yes, Jimi, Jimmy, EVH, Alex Lifeson, Rik Emmett, all those guys I study for tone.

• It's funny, recently I was thinking about something a bit like what you propose, and hesitated to post something....

I'm curently working hard on a song, and I found a rig that is almost the good tone, but I feel it needs some fine tuning to be better. And I was about to post something to propose the community to help me in dialing it, a sort of "collaborative tone matching thread". In my mind, with time different evolutions of my initial rig, or even other new ideas to match this particular tone would have come, and people could have voted for their favorite one(s) etc... But in fact what you propose could be a way to do it, what do you think?

Edited once, last by semguigui: maybe it's not clear : I was talking about an existing song, Dolemite by Scott Henderson to be precise, and the good tone I've found is in the factory rigs, the one from Michael Britt (MB- C Ton SRV 5s) which I just changed the green scream or a combination of kemper drive and full OC. ().