Kemper "feel" (always on compression/single delay before the amp pro's and con's).

• So i've been playing around with ToneJunkie's profiles lately i noticed he always adds compressor in his profiles. From what i heard from him it makes kemper respond a little more like a tube amp. I personally have a hard time deciding whether it does or not, so i created this thread to hear some of other people opinion on this. Also i seen a lot of profiles that make like a slight single delay right before the amp section, also would like to hear about that more. Also curious if this approach would work for high gain modern metal tones or not.

• To me adding a compressor to my profiles to make my Profiler sound/behave more tube like is complete BS.

Some profiles used in certain genres (e.g. clean Fenderish amps in country music) benefit from a little compression but this has NOTHING to do with sounding more tube like.

• If you really want to see if compression helps, try add a touch via the "compression" setting inside the amp parameters. It's far more powerful at shaping the overall feel than adding a compressor in the chain.

• I assume we talk about the compression parameter in the amp section here?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I assume we talk about the compression parameter in the amp section here?

I thought it was about stomp compressors. ;)

I find the amp compressor turned up to 3-4 makes profiles much more responsive to the volume knob on my guitars.
    But it doesn’t behave more tube like.

• To me adding a compressor to my profiles to make my Profiler sound/behave more tube like is complete BS.

Some profiles used in certain genres (e.g. clean Fenderish amps in country music) benefit from a little compression but this has NOTHING to do with sounding more tube like.

I thought it was about some compressors. ;)

I find the amp compressor turned up to 3-4 makes profiles much more responsive to the volume knob on my guitars.
    But it doesn’t behave more tube like.

I think you are absolutely right. Just tested amp compression. For me personally i think kemper reacts naturally with compression off both in the amp section and stomp one.

I plugged kemper through the loop of my tube amp and 1x12 with celestion v30 and honestly couldnt notice big difference in terms of the feel (compression was off). But thx everyone for their inputs. I think im gonna start turning off all these compressions in profiles from now own unless its a genre thing.

Still curious about the single delay though.

Ehh... One day i will learn what all the contols in the kemper do and tweaker syndrome will let me go...One day...

• I was talking about compression pedal in the A slot, but curious about people experience with the amp section one too.

Ok. My Tone Junkie profiles usually have the compressor in the amp section turned up a bit. I can see how that helps making the feel more tubey in a sense.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I start auditioning all Tone Junkie profiles by first turnong OFF the compessor stomp and delays ? they completely drown out the profile. I also can’t understand why Jonathan feels the need to stick a compressor in front of a heavily driven high gain amp like Mesa Triple Crown or Single Rec. Those are some seriously compressed sounds to start with.

• Heh right on. I like it on the bassman profiles I have from them.

• I start auditioning all Tone Junkie profiles by first turnong OFF the compessor stomp and delays ? they completely drown out the profile. I also can’t understand why Jonathan feels the need to stick a compressor in front of a heavily driven high gain amp like Mesa Triple Crown or Single Rec. Those are some seriously compressed sounds to start with.

I just recently checked out the Triple Crown and Mark V Tone Junkie Profiles (Flash sale made each pack $2!). I was extremely surprised to see the that not only the compression in the Amp section of each profile was turned up, but there was also a Compressor added in front of the Profile too! Hahaha I was like, "what the hell??! Who on earth ever needs this much compression on anything-EVER??!! Hahahaha ??" I had such a good laugh because it was so over the top and ridiculous! Lol

I think the Tone Junkie guys might not be very familiar with high gain tones in the first place. They seem to go about setting up high gain rigs the same as they set up lower gain stuff. It takes some work to get any Tone Junkie Profiles to sound "modern" or "high gain" at all. Which is unfortunate because they make some amazing lower gain and mid gain stuff. It'd be sick if they were at that level with higher gain stuff too!

But yeah, I typically completely turn Compression in the Amp and disable any Compressors in the Rig when I'm working with anything above a mid-gain Profile. One a certain amount of Gain is there, you're squashing something that's already squashed and that sound usually doesn't work for many situations :)

• If anything, just remember most (or all) commercial profilers are players, I find everyone have like their signature mark in most of their profiles, like how michael britt has the same cab in almost 70% of all his material, tone junkie has a compressor in front, top Jimmy has a classic top end, guidorist gain to the roof, etc. I believe it is a prefference, you might like it, you might not and modify it, tweak it and call it a day. I have most of my stomps locked, tube sag and definition modified in most of my profiles, so I can say if I make a profile my set stomps will most likely will be my signature mark.

The answer is 42

I agree. He puts way too many effects on his profiles. Thankfully they are easy to turn off. I never use a compressor on an overdriven amp. It is useless to me. The overdrive is already compressing the signal. I only use compressors on clean tones.

I do find his profiles to be good once you strip away the effects.