Powered Kemper Rack, and Kemper Kabinet - volume question

• Hi folks. Firstly, I have been using a non-powered Toaster and a Mission cabinet (amp) for 2 years now. Love it... but decided to get a powered rack (cheap!) and a Kabinet too.

It might sound like a stupid question, but as I cannot find any recommendations anywhere, how do I set them up? I have the powered section going out to the Kabinet, but honestly - even with no gain. I find I am turning the master volume down to almost -50dB. Does that make sense? Is there another limiter control somewhere, so I can use the master at a more reasonable setting (if I touch its, it effectively goes to 'off' (infinity symbol).

Also - should I be using all my patches with the Profiler Cabinet OFF? If so, then how do I check out / save any of the Kabinet profiles that the Kabinet supports?

There is NO manual with the Kabinet... whatsoever, so apologies, but I am flying blind here!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mick.

• Also: Cab stays on if you mean the actual button next to Amplifier and EQ.

But you can turn “monitor cab off” in the output section if you want to use the speaker imprints. Don’t forget to turn on the Kemper Kone too.

• Thanks ST! I have done that already, but appreciate the guidance! I did find the Rig Volume setting, as suggested by Where's The Dug. I notice that I'd set my original unpowered Toaster (that I still have. . . .for now!) at -1.5dB. The Rack is set at +6dB, so yes - setting the Rack to the same as the Toaster is a good starting point!

• Strange. -25db brings me to slightly over 90db.

My standard setting is -27.5 and that's around 86db.

I just checked mine with the master volume at around -25dB. I'm assuming you measure the volume at 1 metre? Mine is around 87dB at 1m, so sounds like I am thereabouts and should just tell my wife to get used to it! :)

Also: Cab stays on if you mean the actual button next to Amplifier and EQ.

But you can turn “monitor cab off” in the output section if you want to use the speaker imprints. Don’t forget to turn on the Kemper Kone too.

Thanks Kaschko. This is where I get confused. I have the Kone selected (on; LED is lit). I also have the Monitor Cab Off selected (so again, LED is lit). As an example, I have selected the Celestion Greenback.

Now, if I turn the Cabinet (above the STACK section... next to Amplifier and EQ) button OFF - I get an incredibly bright (to be honest, too bright) sound.

I presume what I have done (turning that Cabinet button OFF) is correct as it engages the speaker imprints? If that is the case, do I need to adjust the EQ section to compensate for that 'over-brightness'?

(with me so far?! :))

Thanks again!

• Hi, Mick.

Hi, mick335.

You don't need to turn off the CAB section (above the STACK section). That affects both the Monitor and Main outputs.

The Profiler turns the right things on/off when you set up the OUTPUT / Monitor options.

OUTPUT page 8/8

Kemper Kone (on)

Monitor Cab off (on)

• I just checked mine with the master volume at around -25dB. I'm assuming you measure the volume at 1 metre?

Yes, exactly. Still quieter than most real amps but at the level at which music sounds the best. (I learned on this forum it‘s called the Fletcher Munson Curve).

Now, if I turn the Cabinet (above the STACK section... next to Amplifier and EQ) button OFF - I get an incredibly bright (to be honest, too bright) sound.

I presume what I have done (turning that Cabinet button OFF) is correct as it engages the speaker imprints? If that is the case, do I need to adjust the EQ section to compensate for that 'over-brightness'?

Turning off the cabinet sounds horrible since it only gives you a direct signal now. That‘s meant for powering real cabs and speakers.

In your case, turning it off was wrong. It needs to be turned on in order for the speaker imprints to work. The imprints then ignore the cab in the section. But turning cab off also turns off the imprints.

That‘s why you should instead only activate the Monitor Cab Off function.

No EQ adjustment necessary then.

• Perfect.... and no more 'horrible'.

EDIT! I just worked it out. I had Monitor Out set to MOD Mono. Sorry! FIXED!

BUT... a new issue. I've just noticed that although I imported all the rigs and performances from my other kemper, neither of the delay or reverb patches work under the Effects module (though they work fine if selected in the Stomp section.

I've adjusted the feedback / mix under delay ,and time / mix under reverb, but I do not have any effects whatsoever.

Any thoughts on that? Is there a global delay and reverb 'off' setting?

Edited once, last by mick335 ().