What types of in-ear monitors has the best frequency response for use with the Kemper?

• The best in ears I have used are not the most expensive! Full range triple drivers make my guitar sound fizzy and it turns out a single driver is much better suited to the Profiler.

I ended up with custom moulds from ACS all in for £200 and that included the impressions. It was the ACS Evoke2 Classic series.

Other companies probably make single drivers too, but the price was pretty good in this case.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• The best in ears I have used are not the most expensive! Full range triple drivers make my guitar sound fizzy and it turns out a single driver is much better suited to the Profiler.

I ended up with custom moulds from ACS all in for £200 and that included the impressions. It was the ACS Evoke2 Classic series.

Other companies probably make single drivers too, but the price was pretty good in this case.

What does single drivers mean? And would this one work with full band in it? I need to hear the full band and also my vocals, but I want it to accentuate my guitar most of all.

• Headphones are like speakers. They can have a single driver (think tabletop radio), 2 drivers (think HiFi speakers or Monitors with woofer and tweeter), 3 drivers, 4 drivers or even more. In theory more drivers should be better as each is specifically designed for a certain part of the audio spectrum. My SE425 are 2 driver ‘phones. The SE535 is their big brother with e drivers.

Most manufacturers make headphones with a range of different drivers. The more drivers they contain, generally the more expensive they are.

• Ah, so it means that five elements in them ranging for sub, midrange and treble means five "drivers"? Five speakers so to say? Good job on fitting five speakers inside a tiny in-ear though. Probably why those are so insanely expensive, the ones I linked.

• They use a special type of driver that's called balanced armature. Similar to hearing aids. The driver is not very linear so you need a lot of them overlapping to get a somewhat linear response.

The technology as such isn't expensive (it's a very simple principle). Even the cheap KZ models can have 4-5 drivers or more.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I'm sure there's lots out there. Search for balanced armature and you'll find plenty.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I saw that you mentioned Hantek in ears, and i have a pair of moulded ones that i use primaraly as soundproofing.

I ordered the in ears with a detachable driver (monitor system) that you just fit in the hole that holds the different filters you can add for muffeling different frequenzies.

At soundproofing/muffeling they work great and i have used them on concerts and stuff for years and there is a huge difference soundwise compared to regular earplugs that just block everything.

But with the sounddriver attached i can relate to what people describe as a bit fizzy in the top end and lacks a bit of body.

It could well be that the other products with more drivers have a different sound signature and i can sadly not give you any review on those.

If you dont have an "requirement" to use iems live i would consider the moulded ones with a db filter and use stage monitors or cab.

• How would I know if I buy a fizzy earplug with sounddriver attatched or not?

• Thing is its hard to say when i havent tried the ones with drivers pre installed.

They Hantek ones are said to be good quality, but as some have mentioned earlier i think its best to try some lower end ones first, just in case its the whole "in ear sound" is not for you.

For my part using in ear monitoring looses much of the feel and sound that makes playing the guitar feel interesting and compelling.

Could be to the loss of air from speakers, sound pressure and a feeling of disconnect from the instrument and music.

A bit like listening to a soundfile instead of playing yourself:P

But i guess you get used to it after a while.

Maybe you could try buying the most expensive ones you can afford that have good reviews and then use them ALOT because you have payed so much for them that you simply cant afford not to, and then force yourself to get used to it that way :D

• What does single drivers mean? And would this one work with full band in it? I need to hear the full band and also my vocals, but I want it to accentuate my guitar most of all.

This means one speaker in each ear covering the whole sound. Multiple drivers separate the frequencies, typically with bass, mid and treble frequencies. The most important thing is getting custom moulds if you want a full mix. Getting that seal protects your hearing and creates a better sound from any in ear speaker.

I have full band mix with live drums, bass, guitars, keys and vocals. It is all perfect for me because the guitar benefits and the cost is minimal compared to multi drivers.

Karl

• Maybe you could try buying the most expensive ones you can afford that have good reviews and then use them ALOT because you have payed so much for them that you simply cant afford not to, and then force yourself to get used to it that way :D

Haha! Sound advice right there!! :)

I understand now what single/multiple drivers are, just what I was thinking when I used the word "elements" in the prioer Hantek post.. I must admit I am a bit torn.. On one hand I want the more muffled sound and better mids that Wheresthedug talks about - avoiding fizzyness - and on the other hand I also want to hear the full band properly with several drivers. Pretty hard choice. I'll consult more with Hantek and hear what their experience is with their customers

• I've been using Alclair's for the last 5 years and yes the same pair. Love them! Below is the model that I've been using and use them weekly at rehearsals and they work great for my kemper as well as a entire band mix. I've given the link to the exact model that I use.

https://alclair.com/product/reference/

Nice. You don't find that the triple-driver makes the guitar fuzzy, as mentioned in other posts here?

• Nice. You don't find that the triple-driver makes the guitar fuzzy, as mentioned in other posts here?

I do not and I actually added some treble and presence on my main out, but I will say that I am using my own profile that I created from my Peavey Jsx. No fuzzy guitar sound for me.

• Just remember, not matter how good the sound of your in ear mix, the live sound of a venue PA will definitely influence what you hear.

This is often great to hear some thump and low frequencies. It just won't sound exactly like rehearsal.

Karl

• Just remember, not matter how good the sound of your in ear mix, the live sound of a venue PA will definitely influence what you hear.

This is often great to hear some thump and low frequencies. It just won't sound exactly like rehearsal.

Very good point! Ofcourse one would benefit from practicing in a worst case scenario environment.. I often practice my elguitar unplugged, and I do all my legato and shredding unplugged, to really nail it. I guess it's just a bonus that the low end "chest punch" is there during a live scenario :)

• Very good point! Ofcourse one would benefit from practicing in a worst case scenario environment.. I often practice my elguitar unplugged, and I do all my legato and shredding unplugged, to really nail it. I guess it's just a bonus that the low end "chest punch" is there during a live scenario :)

You just have to make your best guess based on what you can afford in the end and give it a go. The transmitter and receiver make a difference in quality too and are not cheap!

Karl