Kemper / Boss GT-1000 / Hotone Ampero - Direct comparison

• I use a Kemper with built in Power Amp for all purposes after having used many different tube amps for many years (yes, I did A/B comparison with Kemper and Tube Amp)

Soon after buying the Kemper I also wanted to have a little device to carry with me when traveling. The Kemper Stage would be to heavy - unfortunately. That's why I started my loooong quest form my travel amp modeler. Soon I recognized that the tests in youtube would not help much for me, so I started buying all the possible units used, to sell them again, if I would not like them. So I first tried BOSS GT-1, Helix HX Stomp, Atomic AmpliFIER, all of them could not compete with the Kemper for different reasons.

(I did not try the Quad Cortex so far ;) anyway it's a bit too expensive)

I have to say, that I compare the units directly, using Studio Monitors AND a 2x12 Celestion V30 Speaker with a power amp (not tube).

Some days ago I could buy very cheap a used BOSS GT1000 and even very cheaper a Hotone Ampero. Today I did a A/B/C comparison.

(my plan was to sell the GT-1000 and get a GT-1000 core, if it sounded great)

To make it short, the Difference is not that small, all the units sound different. I used the same IRs to be fair and the same Amps.

I often hear, it is a question of taste. Sure, everything is a question of taste. But if something should sound like the "real Amp" ist it really a question of taste if it comes close to that or not? There are a lot of opinions of people writing about these units. But did they compare them side by side? If they did it (and I don't speak about people who sell the units, I speak about completely neutral people) what would they say?

The result for me was at one hand very surprising on the other hand not.

First, the Kemper was the best of the three.... You wouldn't have expected that, would you? 8o

But then, The GT-1000 which is not at all cheap, and some people say that it would sound very good, did not sound real at all. I loaded IRs, experimented with the virtual mic position etc. until I got a decent sound. Then I changed to Kemper - BOOM !! There was the Sound - BIG difference.

Then I did the same with the Ampero. It was easy to get a good sound, user interface and software are beautifully made - respect !! It sounds a little bit digital with some settings (beware of excessive FX use and some digital sounding delays!) but the feel is quite good. I also loaded IRs which is also good with this unit, and then I changed to Kemper. Again, Kemper is better. But not the same big difference as with the GT-1000.

So then I compared same amp same IR between GT-1000 and Ampero. And that's the surprise. The Ampero that can be found used for 140 Euro had the better feel and closer to real amp sound than the GT-1000 which costs used about 500 Euro :/
    What really surprised me was the sound quality of the Ampero with the power amp in the 2x12 speaker... there it sounded even better.

I would not recommend the GT-1000 at all (only if you use it with an amp only using the effects. don't buy it for Amp simulation)

I really recommend the Ampero if you can find it for a good price. I prefer it way over the HX Stomp as well (could not test them A/B but the amp simulation of Helix have some frizzling sound that a real amp does not make, which is a pity, concept would be best) .

Conclusion: while waiting on Kemper Mini (please, please, please CK) I'll use the Ampero.

What do you think:
    Did you ever do A/B comparisons?

Are you also disappointed about reviews not saying if something really is not that good?

Did you also experienced that after some times, the ears get used to a certain sound, and if you don't compare A/B/(C) you completely loose the reference?

never thought that I would like the Kemper that much...! 8|

• I tried the Helix. It was totally awful. Like Ten Dollars awful! Premium IR's helped some but the sounds were always thin and lifeless. The cleans were decent but it's pretty hard to mess up a clean, but once you get into crunch or high gain territory then all you got was multitudes of digital fizz.

My choices after that were Fractal or Kemper.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I use a stomp as backup, it's a backup so don't put to much effort in it... Had the ampero for 1 day before i returned it, not because if the sounds but to me it fee's more like a home solution, not gig worthy... No Idea why I had this feeling...

The stomp on stage looks to be more that it belongs there

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

Edited once, last by Roeffel ().

• How is the difference in feel, specifically the latency delay when playing with those 2 setups?

Some digital devices have some delay, Kemper has none that I can tell when playing.

For example, I used a Mooer pedal, and the latency delay is very noticeable, which directly affects feel and accuracy, makes it unusable for me.

• How is the difference in feel, specifically the latency delay when playing with those 2 setups?

Some digital devices have some delay, Kemper has none that I can tell when playing.

For example, I used a Mooer pedal, and the latency delay is very noticeable, which directly affects feel and accuracy, makes it unusable for me.

I did not feel any latency using these devices. Neither the Ampero nor the GT-1000, but I have to admit, I did not use all the effects in The GT-1000. In the Ampero I activated Drive, Boost, Amp, Noisegate, Cab Sim, EQ, Delay and Reverb, which is almost all of the effect blocks activated simultaneously and I cold not feel any delay (I did not measure it though).
    To high latency is a no go for guitar playing, so I guess it is ok since I did not feel any problem with that. (Once I had a very noticeable delay with the Kemper during band rehearsal, but after turning it OFF and ON, problem was solved)

For me the feel with the GT-1000 was not good at all (I wanted to like it, but I was disappointed) since It did not feel at all like a real amp. Ampero got much closer to this.

User interface of Ampero is very good !!

• I use a stomp as backup, it's a backup so don't put to much effort in it... Had the ampero for 1 day before i returned it, not because if the sounds but to me it fee's more like a home solution, not gig worthy... No Idea why I had this feeling...

The stomp on stage looks to be more that it belongs there

Raf

the concept and architecture of the HX stomp is great, for home, travel and live use. So I really wanted it to be good, but I did not like the sound, couldn't help it.

Anyway, I hope there will be a Kemper mini some day!

• About two years ago I bought a Boss GT-1000 just for trying out... and finally sold my Kemper.

In the first two weeks I was disappointed about the GT-1000, because I didn't get close to the sounds I got from the Kemper. Then I loaded in some Celestion IRs: that was the missing part!
    For me the GT-1000's sound is not better, but not worse than the Kemper. Of course the GT-1000's amps sound not like the "real" ones, but I don't care. They sound outstandig and that's enough for me.

With the Kemper it was a little bit easier to find the sound I wanted. But that was because I had enough time (4 years) to learn how to tweak sounds with this device. Now after two years using the GT-1000 I know how to handle this one and am able to dial in the sound as fast as I did with the Kemper.

The advantage for me is the smaller device, better GUI (on Windows and even Android with Bluetooth) and great routing options.

The Kemper is really great, but the Boss GT-1000 is great as well and fits better to my requirements.

• That sounds very interesting... what IR did you load? I don't know if that works with the GT-1000 but it would be interesting to share sounds/settings. Is that possible? If possible, would you share your settings?

About the user interface, you say that you sold the Kemper 2 years ago. Now the Rig Manager can be used to change the settings of the Kemper which works great, I really like it. I bought the Kemper about one year ago, so I never had to use the UI on the device to create the sounds ;)

About routing options and device size you are definitely right !! the GT-1000 Core would be very interesting for me, if I could get satisfying sounds out of it.

• I did not feel any latency using these devices. Neither the Ampero nor the GT-1000, but I have to admit, I did not use all the effects in The GT-1000. In the Ampero I activated Drive, Boost, Amp, Noisegate, Cab Sim, EQ, Delay and Reverb, which is almost all of the effect blocks activated simultaneously and I cold not feel any delay (I did not measure it though).

Cool. I am looking for something more portable than my Kemper. Something that can fit in a small backpack or carry on bag. Perhaps I'll give the Ampero a try.

Edited once, last by Lobsta ().