No, WE don't need a kemper2

• I just wonder why you don't go out and buy the Axe III Fx?

Because in 80% of my playing I use simple chains that I love. U2 is only a small part of what I do and I find my Kempers' overall tone and ease of use much better. Yes, Kemper can also handle my U2 stuff but sometimes it is limited and you have to find compromises for some songs and their patch live organising and that is where more power and more complex chain possibilities would come in handy. This is not enough to get an Axe FX and not enough to not wish for a Kemper II.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited once, last by Alienator ().

• as a player, in cover bands, for 55+ years. I’m a less is more player.
    ‘I find an Amp, a touch of reverb, and a little delay occasionally, covers over 90% , 0f the

100’s of songs that I play

I completely agree with this, I prefer to have my od/distortion come from the amp. The Kemper is perfect for me when it comes to that stuff, if I want more or less or different i just swap the amp. Even with my analog rigs, I have things like flanger, phaser and delay but they are almost never on. MY idea of a prefect KPA2 would be mostly subtle and would barely be able to be called a version 2. Add a screen that people keep calling for, maybe upgrade DSP or small things like that but make sure that the OS does not need a major overhaul so previous versions of the KPA remain relevant.

Give me a great amp, a little reverb, a boost and some effects for the occasional cover I -play that needs them and I am a happy guy.

• Thanks to reamping, you can change any effects you record later, so there's no good reason not to track with them, and like I said, there's a practical benefit to hearing all of the effects in real-time.

No doubt.Many musicians and most of all singers don't like to hear themselves without some room when they get tracked.

But what you describe...I don't know...that sounds damn time consuming before even the recording session starts...

• I don't find adding a DI (for reamping later if necessary) time consuming, but that's me.

I mean during the mixing and the automation process..while I see the advantages of "amps reamping" in many situations I fail to see these advantages for the "effects reamping"..but to each his own..

• I mean during the mixing and the automation process..while I see the advantages of "amps reamping" in many situations I fail to see these advantages for the "effects reamping"..but to each his own..

The advantage is that you not only get to hear the actual effects you plan to use on a recording in real-time, but it also provides a means to change them after the fact if you need or want to. I mean, there's nothing wrong with adding effects later, but one advantage to hearing them in real-time is that it's inspiring and can shape your playing.

• The advantage is that you not only get to hear the actual effects you plan to use on a recording in real-time, but it also provides a means to change them after the fact if you need or want to. I mean, there's nothing wrong with adding effects later, but one advantage to hearing them in real-time is that it's inspiring and can shape your playing.

Ok

Slow here..I am an old fashioned "bar by bar" mixing guy adding every parameter with automation of my DAW..maybe I am getting old and the quarantine has also a heavy toll on my brain cells but you talk about taking the "reamped" fx every time from the kemper right?

• as a player, in cover bands, for 55+ years. I’m a less is more player.
    ‘I find an Amp, a touch of reverb, and a little delay occasionally, covers over 90% , 0f the

100’s of songs that I play

Od, amp, and delay for leads is all I need. Period. For coming up with new ideas I like sometimes playing with other effects in kemper.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Ok

Slow here..I am an old fashioned "bar by bar" mixing guy adding every parameter with automation of my DAW..maybe I am getting old and the quarantine has also a heavy toll on my brain cells but you talk about taking the "reamped" fx every time from the kemper right?

I'm not sure I totally understand the question, but the effects would be part of the profile and included in the recording; however, during the tracking phase, you'd record a dry guitar track along with the regular guitar track. The dry track is what you'd use to reamp the profile and make changes to the effects or anything else if you needed to. Out of curiosity, how familiar are you with reamping?

• I'm not sure I totally understand the question, but the effects would be part of the profile and included in the recording; however, during the tracking phase, you'd record a dry guitar track along with the regular guitar track. The dry track is what you'd use to reamp the profile and make changes to the effects or anything else if you needed to. Out of curiosity, how familiar are you with reamping?

I see...all good..

• When/if the Kemper II comes out, I sure as hell hope it doesn't break old profiles. Can you imagine all the guys with $1000s invested in commercial profiles.

What I'd like to see is how Kemper Amps reacts to all the demands for more complex routing, more FX and even a better profiling engine (from the Neural QC thread) for the Kemper. What will be accommodated? What won't be?

Also, I don't know when such a device might be out, given that the company seems to spend an awfully long time on coming out with major revisions these days. Could they be already be working on a next gen device? Or are they not even eyeballing such a machine at this juncture.

Also, it's worth noting that the Kemper Stage was launched in 2019. Some equally cool stuff could take place with/instead of a Kemper II:

1) Completely different form factor. Maybe a miniaturised floorboard player, with no profiling capability. The Kemper Player, as it were.

2) A newer Kemper rack and toaster version is released which now features a stereo power amp. We've seen incremental upgrades like this, such as SPDIF slaving.

3) Kemper Amps releases a completely different product that has nothing to do with the Profiler, or perhaps fits into the ecosystem like the Kabinet did. Maybe it'll be something like a stompbox that profiles any dirt/OD pedal using TS connectors and then creates a model that can be put in front of the Kemper or used in the loop like the real pedal.

• When/if the Kemper II comes out, I sure as hell hope it doesn't break old profiles.

According to Christoph, this won't be an issue:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is what I am thinking. The miniaturized floorboard player in particular could be made to target a lower price bracket (Say sub $700.00 USD). Such a player would have a huge base of current Kemper users that would buy it for a backup or throw-and-go gig rig.

The rigs HAVE to transfer. I agree!

• According to Christoph, this won't be an issue:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But if new profiles sound better than old profiles, assuming a new profiling methodology is implemented, why would anyone use the old rigs?

It will certainly be interesting to see.

Another possibility I thought of, though I'm not sure about the technological wizardry that would have to be implemented. I had suggested this when Kemper had asked about wishes for the editor: supposing a sort of "side car" for the Kemper could be developed that would allow for more processing power to be added to the unit.

This unit would be connected via the ethercon and would be use to expand the number of FX slots and routing options, as well as give the ability to run two profiles in series or in parallel.

That's really stretching the current technology, and I don't know if it would even be possible. Think of something like offboard DSP for additional processing, with the data transferred through the ethernet port, given that these are capable of speeds of 1 gbps, if I understood correctly.

• But if new profiles sound better than old profiles, assuming a new profiling methodology is implemented, why would anyone use the old rigs?

I'm sure some people would abandon their old profiles, though I suppose some people might have certain profiles they really love or use for gigs or some such.

Another possibility I thought of, though I'm not sure about the technological wizardry that would have to be implemented. I had suggested this when Kemper had asked about wishes for the editor: supposing a sort of "side car" for the Kemper could be developed that would allow for more processing power to be added to the unit.

This unit would be connected via the ethercon and would be use to expand the number of FX slots and routing options, as well as give the ability to run two profiles in series or in parallel.

That's really stretching the current technology, and I don't know if it would even be possible. Think of something like offboard DSP for additional processing, with the data transferred through the ethernet port, given that these are capable of speeds of 1 gbps, if I understood correctly.

That's one possibility. If I had to guess how it'll play out, my hunch is that new hardware with expanded capabilities will probably take the form of a KPA revision.

• The one thing I'd really like to see happening is the ability to capture entire rigs including multiple stacked OD pedals. The Kemper can't do this realistically, yet, at least to my ears. I'm not talking about modulation pedals which would be impossible to profile because of their temporal nature I guess, but profiling multiple (static) stacked OD or boost pedals should be possible someday.

I think the Kemper is great for people who use profiles of clean or distorted amps without much pedals in the chain and rely on amps for breakup. I personally play high headroom amps which don't break up 99% of the time and I rely on pedals for grit. I have yet to come close to the sound I get when stacking my OD pedals through an analog amp.

• The one thing I'd really like to see happening is the ability to capture entire rigs including multiple stacked OD pedals. The Kemper can't do this realistically, yet, at least to my ears. I'm not talking about modulation pedals which would be impossible to profile because of their temporal nature I guess, but profiling multiple (static) stacked OD or boost pedals should be possible someday.

I think the Kemper is great for people who use profiles of clean or distorted amps without much pedals in the chain and rely on amps for breakup. I personally play high headroom amps which don't break up 99% of the time and I rely on pedals for grit. I have yet to come close to the sound I get when stacking my OD pedals through an analog amp.

True. When I compare a profile with a baked in od and the same profile without od and use my od, it sounds better than the baked in od.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• True. When I compare a profile with a baked in od and the same profile without od and use my od, it sounds better than the baked in od.

I agree too. Even if the new Kemper drives are excellent I still prefer to use real OD in front. BTW I doubt that the new QC overdrive capture would do it for me neither. No problem anyways to bring a couple of pedals to gig, it's just fun to use them I would say.

• I have not had great success finding profiles with baked in pedals, but I think it’s because I wasn’t the one who dialed in the pedal, rather than a problem with the KPA.

I have not tried profiles with stacked OD’s baked in. Maybe the KPA does struggle in such a situation.