Kemper needs to update

• It is interesting to note that the first thing that the QC wanted to compare itself to is the Kemper.

The old saying is "To be the best, you have to beat the best".

QED.

As a KISS fan I read that "You want the best, you got the best....." :)

Props if you heard it in your head in the voice of the live recording. :)

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Based on the original expectations for the life cycle of the KPA I wouldn't be surprised if a new one is only a couple of years away. I'd be very surprised if it didn't have more processing power, capture higher fidelity with no detriment to latency, run more effects and allow dual amp choices. If it doesn't exist already maybe those of us who are ready for V2 should make a thread of our wishes.

I've not recorded at 44khz for about 15 years. I really think its time with todays technology that it could work at near zero latency while at 192khz, 64 bit float, slaving to pro audio interfaces with dual amps and fx.

I really like so much about my KPA its a fantastic piece of kit, it was an incredible investment for me. However I don't think its timeless like a decent valve marshall because like phones and playstations or other digital devices the processing improves and I see this as a wholly digital device. Yeah some old boss pedals sound better than modern counterparts, but they don't exactly run software.

Originally I invested in it because it sounded more organic than all the other available modelers and digital alternatives. When playing live its not quite the same, especially palm mutes, recording with post processing I can get great sounds and love its flexibility, but its 96%, I want that extra, I want it to go to 11.

• The only thing I would like to have on a hardware basis is a built in wireless system. All other things like a bigger text layout of the remote, some improvements in configuration (taper) or effect usage is purely software. So surely no real deal maker for me. It is quite astonishing great at all.

• The only thing I would like to have on a hardware basis is a built in wireless system. All other things like a bigger text layout of the remote, some improvements in configuration (taper) or effect usage is purely software. So surely no real deal maker for me. It is quite astonishing great at all.

This would seem unlikely. Every nation has different laws surrounding the usable frequency bands, and they change every so often. Thus, it would require a whole bunch of new models, and they would all risk becoming obsolete with the next FCC ruling or IEC directive.

• This would seem unlikely. Every nation has different laws surrounding the usable frequency bands, and they change every so often. Thus, it would require a whole bunch of new models, and they would all risk becoming obsolete with the next FCC ruling or IEC directive.

Not so much into corresponding law but there must be something general working due to Yamahas THR10. Just an option. No need to use it but having it would be great.

• [XLR connector] u can do on your own. I have the rack version and mounted a Neutrik Connector in my wooden rack. Same u could build with the toaster.

My rack (pictured left as my avatar) doesn't have room for one. I am assuming this can be mounted inside the Kemper unit? Fortunately I am studio use only, but certainly if I was gigging I would prefer the more robust XLR connector as part of the KPA.

• My rack (pictured left as my avatar) doesn't have room for one. I am assuming this can be mounted inside the Kemper unit? Fortunately I am studio use only, but certainly if I was gigging I would prefer the more robust XLR connector as part of the KPA.

Upps. Mixed things up. I was on the Neutrik Side. Yes XLR would make sense. Prostage used such cables for their dedicated switching system. Updated my avatar with a picture of my rack.

• It's not called "XLR" but "etherCON" ... and while we're talking about this, it would be nice to have "powerCON" for the power supply instead of

IEC-60320 C13/C14 and "speakON" for the power amp output instead of the 1/4" phone (TS) socket.

Good idea, my BlueAmp-Cabinets have PowerCon to power my Kemper. So only one power cable needed for my rack. Regarding stiffness I still would prefer xlr standard for the remote and Speakon for cabinets also better than 1/4. But always a matter of the whole system. So all plugs should be the same on both sides.

• To extend a little on my previous post:

1. EtherCON is downwards compatible, so you can still connect regular RJ45 ethernet cables if someone has troubles to get etherCON locally. (And again, it is called EtherCON, NOT "XLR standard").
    2. Same downward compatibility for SpeakON sockets. You can still plug regular 1/4" TS speaker cables but have the option to use the better SpeakOn.
    3. With PowerCON it's a different story and I can understand why it's not so popular to use it for devices that are sold worldwide. The benefit of PowerCON is its IP65 rating over the IP54 rating with regular IEC-60320 C13/C14. But it's not as easy to get a replacement locally in case the cable gets lost/stolen/broken.
  • Well... It seems to me that the only reasons Kemper would "need" to release a new hardware platform is if A. The existing unit finally ran out of memory and/or horsepower to continue the present upgrading approach, or B. Sales of the current version dropped below a specific threshold due to not being competitive in its market. But if the current model is still meeting all sales goals, then I don't see any reason to fix what ain't broken.

• that sounds oddly familiar... :D

Yeah, suddenly we have "a lot of people" who joined the forum less than one year ago saying things about how kemper profiling adds "cocked wah" or an "EQ" or compression to the profiles. I have done so many A/B tests and rarely I find any of those "problems", less I know which is the real amp to begin with. Profiling is fine.

The answer is 42

• Well... It seems to me that the only reasons Kemper would "need" to release a new hardware platform is if A. The existing unit finally ran out of memory and/or horsepower to continue the present upgrading approach, or B. Sales of the current version dropped below a specific threshold due to not being competitive in its market. But if the current model is still meeting all sales goals, then I don't see any reason to fix what ain't broken.

But that is exactly what's happening: for the same price the quad cortex offers more connections and possibilites, a lot more power and it's smaller. The display, interface and everything about it is better (to most people at least), and that's quite normal considering how "old" the Kemper is.

Personally I keep playing my Kemper because it's the one that sounds best to me, but I'd love to have at least a stereo option! Not even two amps, just two cabs or two mics. That alone would make the Kemper much more modern. I believe most people today, considering the price, would get the quad cortex and that is the reason why Kemper should update something... I would love a very small Kemper with just a few switches, no profiling capability and stereo.

Just my opinion but it will get outdated soon if they just keep offering "minor" updates, and I'm talking from new and future buyers perspective.