Ideas for a Kemper 2 in the future.

• Let’s play with the idea, that there will be a Kemper 2 in the future. As the technology and stuff is today, what would you like to see in a potential new Kemper?

Why, you ask? For the fun of it and because technology advances and competitors are releasing great stuff. And maybe Kemper staff will get an idea for the future. Who knows. And yes....I’ve tried the search function and didn’t find any posts. Weird. There must be posts about a Kemper 2. But I will start.

Kemper 2:

• 3 or 4 processors to do

A) Triple or quad profiling internally. By that I mean the possibility to connect 3-4 mics to the Kemper and then when profiling making the same amount of profiles within ONE profile, which afterwards can be blended as desired. Like if you record in a studio. Most record guitars with more than one mic. Here you can create a more nuanced profile and perhaps push the “restore to original” to start over, if you go “damn....the SM57 is too high”. Then go back and lower that mic or raise another. Yes....I know people do create profiles with multiple mics already with a mixer in between. But by doing it internally, you can make a mistake in the mix between mics and go back to re-tweak and you don’t need a mixer.

B) Possibility to connect more than one guitar/bass at the same time and run separate rigs.

C) For future proofing.

D) Dual/triple rig (not the same as creating a profile of more mics. It’s just one more possibility of reaching a specific sound.

• XLR input with phantom power for vocal mics and profiles of vocal preamps.
    • Creating a profiling sequence that gets a little closer to the original reference amp. When I tried profiling the sound captured was a bit darker than the original and had to be tweaked a bit. And I see other people with the exact same issue. A darker sound than the reference amp. Perfecting the profiling part.
    • Touch screen maybe.
    • USB connection that can be used as digital recording and reamping.
    • Profiling pedals like the Quad Cortex.
    • Tone matching. If it makes sense. It probably doesn’t

Keep the ideas coming :)

Edited once, last by b_ryan ().

• 1) Much faster loading of performance pages so that direct access is useable for live work.

2) The ability to select a new FX preset on-the-fly from the remote without having to change the profile/rig.

3) The ability to select a different profile independent from the FX preset that is in place.

• Pretty simple for me : If the kemper 2 lets me reamp 2 guitars simultanously, I'm buying straight away. If not, I'm switching to another product.

Easy. Don't sell your old Kemper when buying the new one :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Two guitars?

Yes, to be able to hear how the left and right guitars will sound together straight away, without having to reamp a portion of both tracks. Just like using any amp track on a stereo guitar bus with the left and right guitar routed to it.

Easy. Don't sell your old Kemper when buying the new one :)

3 arguments speak against doing that:
    1) I need the money from the sale of the Kemper 1 to buy the Kemper 2.
    2) No official and proper support in Rig Manager to control and tweak 2 kempers at the same time.
    3) I don't feel like I should have to buy a product that expensive twice to do something that simple in 2021 ( Or whenever the next Kemper comes out). With the quality of the amp sims that get released nowadays, and new products like the QC coming out, I think that kemper HAS to offer this to stay competitive in the studio recording market.

Cheers

• Personally, I'd rather just see some continued work on the current Kemper. Maybe:

Rig Manager improvements, many already talked about.

Easy to use UNDO/REDO

Incorporating Presets into the edit screens for various effects. For example having a drop down of all Distortion presets along with the few controls. I know you can find then in the treeview, but why not show just the presets you might while editing?

Save/Save As and Copy/Paste that are a bit more obvious like on the hardware.

Add the Stomp and Effect presets that already exist on the hardware. (many of us still use this)

Maybe there could be a way to assign multiple effects to each of the 8 buttons. This might be a way to extend without needing new hardware. It might require creative soft buttons to do things like turn on a distortion while leaving compression alone if both are on A, but it seems possible.

I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities.

On the Profiler

Everyone always says there can't be multiple profiles, but then how does Performance mode preload five of them for zero latency switching? Maybe this leaves a path to allow morphing between the rigs in a Performance. Still not really two amps at once, but the morph might be more useful to more people.

On running multiple rigs - maybe some kind of hardware add on to the current Kemper? Not really a second Kemper but a way to add in a second rig like an effect? Same way you might use the effect loops.

Extend locking to allow locking specific parameters instead of just groups. So rather than locking X, allow locking specific components of what is loaded in X.

Maybe a new Kemper alternate foot controller that works more like a standard Midi controller with enough buttons to manage all separate effects and Rig Manager editing with humanized control (easy assignments of CC or program change, etc.

So yes, there could be a new Kemper 2. But there also would seem to be many ways to keep on extending what we already have.

• ATT: MaximeD

Okay. I didn’t see the point, but I do now. It makes sense in a way. Not something I probably will use, but it’s without a doubt a thing, that would be cool to have. How I go about now is having an A/B switch on the floor to change between guitar or guitar and bass. But I see your point and if they make it with more inputs to be used at the same time, i guess it would be easy to do.

• Personally, I'd rather just see some continued work on the current Kemper. Maybe:

So yes, there could be a new Kemper 2. But there also would seem to be many ways to keep on extending what we already have.

Yes....they continue to work on the Kemper and apply new stuff on a regular basis. Since I bought it 10 years ago or close anyway, it has become a totally different machine. It’s awesome. I love it so much. I’ve never seen that much value for my money.

But this post is about a new Kemper in the future and not the stuff, they can apply now to the existing one ;)

• ATT: MaximeD

Okay. I didn’t see the point, but I do now. It makes sense in a way. Not something I probably will use, but it’s without a doubt a thing, that would be cool to have. How I go about now is having an A/B switch on the floor to change between guitar or guitar and bass. But I see your point and if they make it with more inputs to be used at the same time, i guess it would be easy to do.

Just to explain it better, the point for us studio guys would not be to be able to switch between guitars quicker. In a recording of modern rock or metal music, 99% of the time, you'll have at least 2 rhythm guitar tracks, panned left and right, playing the same (or same-ish) guitar parts. That will be the rhythm section of the song.

As of now, in a reamping scenario, you have to take one of those DI tracks, engage the reamp function, and listen to this single guitar track being reamped while you go through your profiles to chose one. There is no way of listening to both, the left and right guitar, at the same time. The problem with that is that the tone will change once you reamp both tracks. For example. you might have been listening to the single guitar track and thought that it was just the right amount of high end in the tone, but once you reamp both tracks and hear them together, the frequency buildup from having 2 tracks combined will make the overall sonic impression to harsh. This can lead to an enormous waste of time and trial and error (thinking a tone sounds great, reamping 15 seconds of each track, then realizing that it's not gonna work after all and start again and again),if you don't have perfect knowledge of how the tone of a single, mono guitar track will translate once you add two or more guitars, in the context of the mix you're currently working on ( and every mix is different=.

Add to that that it will always take twice as long to reamp all tracks in the recording, since you have to reamp every track separately. Having a stereo input that allows 2 guitar tracks or more simultaneously would solve that.

All those things are problems that would be exactly the same when recording a real amp, but since we are talking about a digital amp, and considering the competition that Kemper now has with the new amp sims and other products coming out, again I think that they can't afford not to take this into consideration if they don't want people who use their digital amps for studio purposes only to turn to the competition.

I can see how many people would not see any use for that function because they only use their Kemper as an amp for their guitar and to play live, but for studio guys, this is a MAJOR downside in today's world.

Cheers

• Phantom Power

This'd definitely be handy, Alan. ;)

The ability to select a different profile independent from the FX preset that is in place.

Just lock the slot that contains the Preset. Done.

Everyone always says there can't be multiple profiles, but then how does Performance mode preload five of them for zero latency switching?

The switching-latency is no different from when you switch Profiles in Browse mode, either on the unit or via RM. The tiny file size would surely have a lot to do with it IMHO.

IOW, there's technically no overlap; never are two Profiles "running" simultaneously AFAIK.

• Are you guys aware that you basically only list relatively obvious yet selfish wishes?

What this thread really lacks to be taken seriously is the "vision", the challenge of being innovative. It's one thing to look around and just pick from fancy features others have ... and a totally different one to innovate instead of replicate. I still haven't met Christoph, just had a couple of interesting and tough discussions here on the forum and a brief conversation via email a few years ago. But I think I know him well enough to assert his driving force is the intellectual challenge of unconventional (new) ideas and their solution and application in a real world scenario (preferrably in the wide field of music production and performance).

He's also not the right person for "bold claims" marketing like others. Just look at the ridiculous claim of a competitor stating "4Gb of blazing fast PC1600 DDR3 memory" in their latest product incarnation. Holy crap, seriously? DDR3 memory? PC1600? In my book, blazing fast memory in 2021 would be DDR5X memory.

I think this is a great example that Christoph isn't a big fan of flashy claims, compared to others. He rather makes stuff and let others find out how cool it is (or not).

Bottomline:

Challenge him, get off the beaten track, inspire him with something cool nobody has done yet (or just hasn't thought of doing yet).

• But I think I know him well enough to assert his driving force is the intellectual challenge of unconventional (new) ideas and their solution and application in a real world scenario (preferrably in the wide field of music production and performance).

Challenge him, get off the beaten track, inspire him with something cool nobody has done yet (or just hasn't thought of doing yet).

Agree 100%, Brother Martin.

Also, I think folks tend to forget that Kemper has had long-term roadmaps since way back in its synth days. I wouldn't be surprised if Christoph had ideas in-mind for the Kemper II before the first design even hit the shelves back in late 2011 / early 2012.