Midi wiring with footswitch AND audio interface

• Hi,

I'm using a Kemper now for quite a while, mostly for recording with Logic pro. Among other connections, my audio interface is connected via midi out to the Kemper (midi in) to be able to have a timely exact control of effects. Incredible feature of the Kemper :)

Now due to Corona, we can't play with the band in the same room, so we perform it over the internet. Another use case for the Kemper. Obviously I need a footswitch for this, so I bought a FCB1010 and a UNO4KEMPER chip (hopefully arriving soon). Again I need FCB out to Kemper in (and FCB in to Kemper out)

I'm not very familiar with Midi and I don't like to plug and unplug connectors for different use cases, so I'd like to understand if there's a permanent solution for the wiring using Midi Thru or any switch box or similar.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Cheers,

Christof

• I send midi out from my audio interface to FCB and midi out from FCB to Kemper. So I have some CC sent from the daw to KPA and I can still have some control with FCB. I have the standard native chip on it and you can set midi thru on the fcb

• if you want to access the MIDI in of the Profiler from 2 external devices simultaneously you need a MIDI Merge box like this one:

https://www.thomann.de/de/midi…_usb_power_supply_set.htm

I think it is doable with PC . FCB MIDI out to MIDI IN PC and then use some MIDI merge app. PC MIDI OUT to KPA . KPA MIDI OUT to FCB

App example: https://sourceforge.net/projects/midi-layer/

• Thanks to all of you !!!! I didn't expect to get so many answers in a short time !

Sollazzon : Do you think Midi Thru is disabled with the UNO4KEMPER chip? And with your solution: How do you get the feedback from the Kemper to the FCB? I guess this is not possible, right? You have to use the FCB one way, I guess.

• Thanks again for your comment.

In the manual of the UNO4KEMPER I found the following sentence: "If you have MIDI in one direction only (from FCB1010 to Profiler), due to a hardware malfunctioning or because you only have 1 working MIDI cable available, you can still use the FCB1010 for Kemper Profiler control. To do so, start up the FCB1010 while keeping following switches pressed..."

That sounds like it would also work with one cable, but with convenience loss. But I agree that your proposal is most likely the easiest and independent solution, unfortunately another piece of HW with power supply...

• This was my understanding also. But if I'm using the footswitch, I'd probably not try to interfere directly at the Kemper...

In any case, I got enough hints to try different solutions. Thanks to all of you !

• as soon as you load a rig the status of the effects will be reflected on the FCB if you use two cables. With one cable you have to rely on the front panel of the Profiler to see which effects are active and which are not and the FCB will not reflect that.

• Sollazzon : Do you think Midi Thru is disabled with the UNO4KEMPER chip? And with your solution: How do you get the feedback from the Kemper to the FCB? I guess this is not possible, right? You have to use the FCB one way, I guess.

I don't know to be honest, when I bought the FCB it had the UnoChip But it was an Older Version and I preferred to restore the original one and programm it from zero to my preferences...(changeda couple of times in the meantime)

Yes, of course in this way I can NOT have a Visual Feedback from KPA on FCB Leds, but this is not a problem at all because:

A) the Change in Sound speaks enough (I can clearly Listen if a stomp is ON of OFF)

B) in case I need to check I could always see directly on KPA which is 2-3mt far from me (I'm not plaiyng on stage at Wembley Stadium right?)

So right now It's Ok like this..for me of course.

It Works, It does exaclty What I want it do to... No problem.