Recommendation on Profile cabs for recording

• Hello everybody. Looking for recommendations on profiles with Marshall 4x12 cabinets to switch out with other direct head profiles. The best I have found is still the Lars Luettge Marshall 1960AV cabinet. It sounds great on almost everything.

Prefer loaded with 25 watt green backs. Commercial or on RE.

There has to be some other great sounding cabinets out there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• No recommendations yet?

For anybody checking this thread, the cabinets in the Rick Beato SL Plexi pack sound nice. A little too bright for my taste. Also, few nice sounding cabinets in the STL Tones David Bendeth pack.

• Still no suggestions. Hmmm. Got to be a some great profiles out there micing up a 1960bx with a combination of a sm57 and a 421.

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• probably the choice is so personal and related to taste that there is not 1 answer.

I like to use celestion IRs expecially if i want to mix the same amp on 2 different cabs but there are many free profiles with 1960bx or ax (caputerd sometimes with neve or other cool preamp..) check out on rig excange.

• Thanks for your help Sollazzon! I have been through literally thousands of cabs and just haven't found what I am looking for. Like I said, Rick Beato SL Plexi pack has about the best sounding cabs fitting what I am looking for.

I thought there would be more people who have a favorite cab profile. I'm about to go through Tills old cab pack.

Still open for any suggestions.

• Kemper forced me to be completely open-minded about getting good tone. You might like a specific cab's sound live, but when you get the mic'd result it might sound like crap to you. I just flip through cabs until I find a sound I like and don't pay attention to the make or model.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi BayouTexan, appreciate the response. I'm actually listening with my ears and not my eyes, but I understand what your saying. Went through a bunch of cabs the other night and always picked the greenbacks without even looking to see what was loaded in the cab.

The strange thing is, the Lars 1960AV cab is loaded with a v30 and miced with a single sm57. For some reason that cab just sounds great on most any profile.

I thought people here would have a favorite cab they use . Still looking for any suggestions. I would rather be recording than spending days looking for cabs.

• I thought people here would have a favorite cab they use . Still looking for any suggestions. I would rather be recording than spending days looking for cabs.

Maybe I’m not typical of users here (maybe I am) but I very rarely if ever change out cabs. I see a rig as a unit and just select a rig that works for me then play. I don’t ever look at the cab in isolation.

• Hi Wheresthedug, appreciate all your contributions on the forum. Read many of your post.

When I hear a profile, I hear the cabinet, speakers and mics as well as the amp. It says a lot about the Kemper that I am able to distinguish the various components.

The reason I want to change cabinets is I'm not happy with the sound. I find the major weakness in profiles is #1: micing technique as well as choice in cabs, speakers and mics.

Still waiting for any suggestions from anybody on their favorite cabinets.

• Normally i'm not mixing Cabs and Amps that much, just because i'm too lazy. I'm trying to play more and tweak less, but I've got 2-3 favourites right now that I'm always coming back to.

- A 1960AV from a Lars Luettge Rig (Don't remember which exactly), because i'm also using a 1960AV in "real life" and it sounds so similar to what i am used to. I attached it to my favourite amps and saved it as a new rig, so i can't remember the specific starting point...

- The whole "BHP Toren's 800" Pack sounds great to me. I asked Michael what cab he used and he wrote me, that it's a 80’s Marshall 1960 B with 2 Chinese Greenbacks and 2 V30’s. Sounds amazing and maybe i will do the same with my "real life" cab.

- Lately i'm also enjoying a 1960BX for a warmer sound from Godi Hildmann, but that is not fitting in my personal band context.

and yesterday i played a great profile from Rig Exchange "GRS GH100L" with matching cabinet and it sounded really good to me. Just made little tweaks, that i always do and i was good to go. Have to find some more profiles by the author...

P.S.: What sound are you looking for? Or what did you try and like/didn't like? maybe this would help to find something for you.

• Excellent post spotter! Yeah, I'm going to have to check out "BHP Toren's 800" Pack. Sounds great. If you have the chance, try the mbritt Mars 800R in the 2020 pack. Together with the Lars 1960 AV cab, it can sounds amazing.

Still liking the Bendeth cabs from his STL Tones pack as well as Rick Beato cabs in his SL Plexi pack. Haven't found better yet

• You mentioned in another thread you want merged or direct profiles, but I LOVE M Britts Marshall 69 pack. There he recorded the 1987 plexi with 25w Greenbacks. He almost never uses other speaker than his CL80 and yet this is my favorite Marshall profile. Give it a shot.

• Hey Kaschko, I changed the cab out on the mbritt 800R and it sounded fantastic but like I mentioned try and stick with direct or merged profiles if you can. Give it a try though, might sound great. Is that the amp you want to switch cabs on? The Marshall 69 pack?

• Hey Kaschko, I changed the cab out on the mbritt 800R and it sounded fantastic but like I mentioned try and stick with direct or merged profiles if you can.

I think you're unnecessarily strict here. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Most likely nobody but you can tell wether the profile is studio or merged.

Is that the amp you want to switch cabs on? The Marshall 69 pack?

No, I was talking about Fender amps. Marshalls sound great with Celestions.

• Mbritt also have some V30 speakers that sounds great. I'm not that found of his standard speaker, it's just my taste. So I'll usually switch to one of his V30s (Or Guidos) and that brings most profiles to life in my ears.