Bubble & Drip

• I like most kinds of music and I enjoy arranging so here's a new tune where I had some fun with a brass library.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Thanks Robman! I must admit to listening a lot to SD.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Larry's back! Yay! :D

Which brass library, Mats? Did you tame the bite or did it sit like that out-of-the-box? :/

Reading your comments over the past year, I thought he never left. ;)

Regarding the brass library, it was Native Instruments Session Brass Pro in Kontakt.

I used the IK Multimedia MixBox plugin to give it the right character.

Cheers,

Mats N

• it was Native Instruments Session Brass Pro in Kontakt

Exactly the one I thought it was, Mats. I've listened to all the online demos and recognised the character. IIRC it doesn't have that much bite anyway; it's well-tamed.

I've been following the brass-lib offerings for a decade and still haven't actually purchased one (no Native Instruments, so no "free factory" lib either). Been waiting for the right time to get Sample Modelling / Audio Modelling but when the company split into two it made things more-complicated. IMHO they have the most-realistic sounding brass and horns out there, but I've been holding out due to the high cost of the components. I want to get solo and section components for all pop and funk brass, so I'll continue to watch.

Thanks for letting me know that it was the NI section, mate.:thumbup:

• Chaps , you should definitely consider playing the horns by yourself, I bought a trumpet on thomann for 100 € , took 2 lessons and I was able to do my own riffs pretty quick, with a few weeks of practice. Next step is buying a trombone.

I quickly developed some abs during my learning witch is another great side effect, and my singing much improved as well, being able to develop my air flow thanks to the trumpet practice.

Fun fact , riffing with a trumpet is pretty much the same as you do with a guitar & single notes, so you'll already benefit from your riffing abilities :)

As well it's pretty easy to layer a few tracks and mimic a whole horn section by yourself, it's really fun with a KPA ( SM57 into KPA !)

Here is an example of me on the horns with a 6 layers track of my humble trumpet after 3 months of practice :

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Like my teacher says after my 1st lesson : you're now a trumpet player , a bad one , but still a player :D

I wish you have as much fun as me , that was really a refreshing experience for me vs long time guitar practice, I now play it daily mainly for fun and breath/abs.

• Hi Renaud,

not bad for 3 month practicing! :thumbup:

Nice idea, but I think not every guitar player has a talent learning trompet, trombone or saxophone ;)

So there's nothing to be said against pressing a few keyboard keys to elicit a few trumpets from the soundengine. ;)

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

Edited once, last by hafi19 ().

• No pb with the plugs, Hafi , I'm just pointing out that the horns experience is really fun.

I'm no Chet Baker and will never be, but blowing a few notes in the key of C or Bb is really at the reach of every experienced musician as you benefit from a whole musical culture and practice, already.

Doing short notes & riffs is really doable after a few weeks . I was making a mountain about the possibility to play horns, leaning etc... but that was really super easy and 100€ is the price we pay for a pedal, but you get a shiny classy brass instrument in your studio. I's a way to think outside the box , getting great abs and having so much fun, like disturbing my children and the neigbour's cats eating the birds from my garden.

I went on the same road with keys, and wow I'm also a decent rhythm key player , as I play exactly like on a guitar, a kind of brain hack, and I don't even know the notes of my keys.

I totally missed the fact that playing a guitar for 30 years could allow me to bypass a lot of the learning process on other instruments and rapidly get decent results , that was an huge eye & ear opener and I will definitely take the road of using others instruments like trombone ,flute, even sax ...

• I remember the track, Renaud. Well done, mate.:thumbup:

I bought a Buescher Aristocrat tenor sax back in the '90s and was amazed how easily I managed to play it. I played the Aussie national anthem within 5 minutes(!), but... learning the correct embouchure techniques would take quite some time, I felt. I should have stuck with it, but it was one of the several times when everything fell apart for me and I had to sell my gear.

Extrapolating that experience to trumpet and 'bone, I decided it'd be quickest to go back to ROMpler programming. After all, I had to have bitchin' solos in my music as well as the snappy sections, so I just couldn't see enough time available. Of course, if I'd known that I'd have to sell all my gear two more times and wait roughly 30 more years to be able to create finished product again, I'd have gone for it and would be, as you suggest, much better off today by a mile.

So, opportunities not taken and the clock nearing midnight, I figure my best bet is something like Sample Modelling / Audio Modelling. The tone, clarity and playability of their instruments are superb, and all with tiny footprints file-size-wise. It's just the prices that prolong their procurement.

All this said, who knows 'though? Maybe I'll buy the sax, 'bone and trumpet anyway once I'm done saving for and buying the other gear and just noodle away once in a while. One can never know where it might lead. Thank you for the encouragement, brother.

• Exactly the one I thought it was, Mats. I've listened to all the online demos and recognised the character. IIRC it doesn't have that much bite anyway; it's well-tamed.

I've been following the brass-lib offerings for a decade and still haven't actually purchased one (no Native Instruments, so no "free factory" lib either). Been waiting for the right time to get Sample Modelling / Audio Modelling but when the company split into two it made things more-complicated. IMHO they have the most-realistic sounding brass and horns out there, but I've been holding out due to the high cost of the components. I want to get solo and section components for all pop and funk brass, so I'll continue to watch.

Thanks for letting me know that it was the NI section, mate.:thumbup:

I not at all totally satisfied with Session Horns. The reason I'm using it is the note split function where it takes the notes in a chord you are playing and assigns them to the different brass instruments.

I also have Mojo Horns 2 which sounds better but you have to play each instrument by itself and I don't have the patience for that.

EastWest Hollywood Pop Brass demos sound very good but has no auto-arranger. On sale now at 50% = USD 149.

The Fable Sounds Broadway Gig has a very interesting auto-arrange function but I'm not sure that the sounds will fit what I want to do. And I also don't want to spend that kind of money on something I'm not using very often.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Those are some of the reasons I've been holding out for Sample Modelling / Audio Modelling, Mats. There always seems to be a "gotcha" with these libraries.

I am more than happy to programme each component separately 'though, so Sample Modelling / Audio Modelling seems like the logical choice for me still.

• Good stuff, Mats. I agree, very Dan, smooth and polished.

I've heard good things about Mojo and listened to some demos. I thought they might be a good fit for the kind of rhythm & blues that I do.

Chaps , you should definitely consider playing the horns by yourself, I bought a trumpet on thomann for 100 € , took 2 lessons and I was able to do my own riffs pretty quick, with a few weeks of practice. Next step is buying a trombone.

Definitely sounds like a real, live trumpet. I think sample libs typically have lots of processing so that it's a final section you can drop into a mix, rather than tracking your own horns that you then have to do all the eq / compression / yada / yada with. Kinda like the difference between EZ Drummer (ready to go) and building / mixing your own kit in mind numbing detail via Superior Drummer. But you're right, great fun!

I began life as a trumpet player in junior high & high school, but picked up guitar halfway through high school (guitar players meet more girls than trumpet players. :) ).

I did a stint on the road in a Holiday Inn band as the utility guy. The leader played guitar & sang, but was an excellent trombone & trumpet player. I did guitar / keys / trumpet. On Donna Summer's "Hard for the Money" I would hold down chords on the keys with my left hand and play the trumpet lines with my right . Neither part was hard. I could train chimpanzees to do either (with no offense to any monkeys we may know and love). The frustrating thing was that I worked hard on my guitar chops back then, but no one noticed a thing I played. Only the cheap keys / horn trick.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10