What happens if the Kemper looses power abruptly?

• If you live on Mars then maybe you haven't heard what is happening in Texas. I woke up to no power (for 22 hours) and outdoor temp's at -1*F. My indoor temp was 46*F. I just got power on and have my home heater cranked to max to warm us up. And we are kind of trapped due to icy roads.

I would love to turn on my Kemper for a little while. The state is doing "rolling" blackouts". Some have electricity on for 30 minutes and then off for 1-2 hours, and some never get power back on. There is no schedule to follow. It's just random. This is NUTS! We are colder than Alaska right now.

What happens to the profiler if power is cut suddenly and it does not do a proper shutdown? Can I take a chance and play Kemper for a while? Because I'm either going to freeze to death or be bored to death! Acoustic Strat and LP is no fun. :|

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I have a supressor. But if power went off, I would just totally unplug everything. Power has been on for 5 hours straight now. We feel like royalty! So sad. A second snow storm to hit us this evening into tomorrow but at least the negative temps will be gone and we should be in the teens. Getting ready to jam!

• The problem would probably be if you were in the middle of a save or export. Personally, my profiler has been cut on several occasions at shows and it was just a case of rebooting.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I would avoid updating for some time :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Its like any other computer...always a risk in not shutting down properly but many times I've lost power and restarted no issue.

BTW I thought Texas was hot? :)

Hotter than hell in the summer. I've had power now for over 24 hrs with no interruption. So, I had some fun Kemper time yesterday after my hands defrosted. Friends of mine who live 15 minutes away are dealing with power on - power off cycles of 30 minutes each --been going on for over 48 hours.

I think back in window 98 days was the only time a power loss resulted in a BSOD. Since windows 7 and 10, I've had no problems.

• Hotter than hell in the summer. I've had power now for over 24 hrs with no interruption. So, I had some fun Kemper time yesterday after my hands defrosted. Friends of mine who live 15 minutes away are dealing with power on - power off cycles of 30 minutes each --been going on for over 48 hours.

I think back in window 98 days was the only time a power loss resulted in a BSOD. Since windows 7 and 10, I've had no problems.

Sorry to hear you are getting so many blackouts. Is that due tot he cold or other factors?

• I saw a comment from either CK or one of the support guys once saying that powering off without a shutdown wasn't a problem because they designed it for musicians (we're not always the brightest of creatures). Nonetheless, as with all things computer oriented, paranoia is your friend. I always do a shutdown, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

I live in the country north of Atlanta, where the power company has a rather casual relationship with reliability, so I'm no stranger to power outages. Like all my other computers, my Kemper is plugged into a UPS. That gives me time to do a shutdown if the lights go out.

When I was in the Atlanta 'burbs years ago, power was down a couple of days due to a winter storm. I thought no problem, I'll just play acoustic. Yikes, those strings are cold, not to mention stiff fingers. So much for that idea. That's when I realized that my entire life pretty much revolves around electricity.

If the batteries ever die, this civilization is screwed. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Sorry to hear you are getting so many blackouts. Is that due tot he cold or other factors?

It was from a freak Historic winter storm. South Texas got dumped with sleet, ice, and wet snow. North Texas was dumped with "packed powder". Ice and wet snow on power lines and transformers is always a mess. Add to that, poor planning by power companies and officials and you have a major disaster. So, several factors. The entire state of Texas was under a winter storm warning. Everything about this storm is breaking records going back 120 years.

• It was from a freak Historic winter storm. South Texas got dumped with sleet, ice, and wet snow. North Texas was dumped with "packed powder". Ice and wet snow on power lines and transformers is always a mess. Add to that, poor planning by power companies and officials and you have a major disaster. So, several factors. The entire state of Texas was under a winter storm warning. Everything about this storm is breaking records going back 120 years.

Plus the fact that Texas doesn't have the kind of grid agreements with neighboring states that would have been helpful. But that's 'cause, you know, "Texas is a whole 'nuther country." :)

(Full disclosure: spent many years growing up in Texas)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Some years ago I had one device between my computer and the wall power outlet. It had a battery and when the power failed, this device supplied electricity for some time. More than enough to save everything and shut the computer. I don't know the name in english nor if they are still being used. I got rid of mine when the batteries started failing and never felt the need to get another one.

• Some years ago I had one device between my computer and the wall power outlet. It had a battery and when the power failed, this device supplied electricity for some time. More than enough to save everything and shut the computer. I don't know the name in english nor if they are still being used. I got rid of mine when the batteries started failing and never felt the need to get another one.

That sounds like a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=UPS&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• A sudden power cut can lead to a higher boot time upon next power up. This is because there's a maintenance routine implemented when you use the chicken-head knob to shut down.

A sudden power cut also might cause the loss of recent edits, but apart from these things, it's no biggie. If you shut down improperly (like, say, via an external power switch) for an extended period, your boot times will slow incrementally but as soon as you power down properly using the knob all should be back-to-normal.