Questions, questions: The monitor vs cabinet debate; Backing tracks; Recording.

• Hi all. Since everyone continues to be so helpful, I have a few more questions:

1. I'm never going to tour (or probably even play live again) so I just want everything to sound great in a small room setting. I have the Kemper Profiler and I'm currently mostly playing through headphones. What output device should I get? Monitors? A cabinet?
      1. Monitors seem to win out in more forum threads I've been reading. If that's the general consensus, are there are any great recommendations that don't break the bank? I've been trying to read up on the powered studio monitors; FRFR; and then options like the Yamaha DXR-10, Headrush 108, HS8s, JBL306's. My head is spinning from all the options and variances. Any guidance or direction to take? I just want everything to sound true to the rig and have fun playing through the Profiler. Nothing more.
    2. I want to play along with backing tracks or drum tracks through the said output devices mentioned above (i.e. monitors or cabinet). What's the best way to do that if they are primarily running through the profiler? Is that advisable? Is that possible? If not, presumably through other speakers?
    3. If I ever wanted to record, how do I get started with that? Filter everything through my Kemper and then a laptop into the recording application of my choice?

Thank you all for entertaining my newbie questions in advance!

• If you are looking at playing with backing tracks and/or or recording at studio volumes, go straight to studio monitors. None of the guitar-cabinet based options will be appropriate for this application, and the wedge monitor approach like the Yamahas, Headrush, et. al., aren't going to sound anywhere near as good as you can get with the same money spent on a pair of studio monitors.

Also, forget the term "FRFR" and focus on getting the most accurate sound reproduction you can get.

Something to keep in mind is that for equivalent costs in a monitoring system, audible volume range (SPL) is inversely proportional to sound quality. The louder a device is designed to operate, the more it will cost to get similar audio response accuracy. Thus, for the best sound, pick your budget, then apply that price point to the lowest volume solution that will fit your needs.

• If you are looking at playing with backing tracks and/or or recording at studio volumes, go straight to studio monitors. None of the guitar-cabinet based options will be appropriate for this application, and the wedge monitor approach like the Yamahas, Headrush, et. al., aren't going to sound anywhere near as good as you can get with the same money spent on a pair of studio monitors.

Also, forget the term "FRFR" and focus on getting the most accurate sound reproduction you can get.

Something to keep in mind is that for equivalent costs in a monitoring system, audible volume range (SPL) is inversely proportional to sound quality. The louder a device is designed to operate, the more it will cost to get similar audio response accuracy. Thus, for the best sound, pick your budget, then apply that price point to the lowest volume solution that will fit your needs.

I would agree.....far easier to push all your sounds into you PC ad you can then mix backing tracks etc via a DAW.

• I have JBL 306's and the Kabinet. I placed the Kabinet behind me (the 306s in front left and right as you would expect), and I get a pretty realistic sound and feeling of being on stage live.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I have JBL 306's and the Kabinet. I placed the Kabinet behind me (the 306s in front left and right as you would expect), and I get a pretty realistic sound and feeling of being on stage live.

Sounds awesome! Would you mind mentioning how big your room is? How far is the Kabinet away from you? And do the JBLs have a distance to the wall behind them?

• Sounds awesome! Would you mind mentioning how big your room is? How far is the Kabinet away from you? And do the JBLs have a distance to the wall behind them?

I got the ruler out. LOL. Studio is 14x12. JBL's are 36" off the floor and 8" off the corner facing center room. The kabinet is on back wall directly behind me about 5 feet and a little to my left.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.