Need help with Kemper Kabinet EQ

• Thanks, mate!

One if the reasons I went with the Kemper was getting real amp distortion instead of using pedals. But I think I will change my method again and just search for the best crunch and then add a booster/pedal/shaper.

I‘m playing a Gibson Les Paul Special with P90s these days. High output and no treble bleed. But at least the bridge still cleans up nicely playing a 2-4 gain bars profile.

I dunno, I feel generally the Kemper shines at low and medium gain profiles. But I think it‘s just because of the profiles. Either the profile creators care more about clean profiles or higher gain profiles need much more adjustment for each particular guitar.

Also, I think there‘s something that just makes higher gain profiles played through a cab at low volumes sound wrong. It doesn‘t matter with headphones but out of the cab our memory tells us it doesn‘t sound right.

• Couple of pointers from me:

• Volume is a big factor - any amp sounds different at volume. Being digital you find there are less variables and hence the KPA should be better at low volumes too
    • Most players use guitar volume to clean up their sound mainly because they didn't have this control in the valve world. I remember with my 2 channel laney having to use guitar volume, pedals to boost for solos etc. to cover all the sounds I needed. Whilst reducing the guitar volume has its own "flavour" I just use morph and profiles to sort this - its a big advantage having all this flex within the KPA.
    • Depends what level you mean by High Gain. M BRITT is not really known for high gain profiles but more mid gain etc. I think there are a lot of great high profiles that sound good at low volume. I continue to use amp distortion and have no need for pedals. Make sure you check out other profiles before giving up on this route. There are plenty of suggestions on this forum for high gain profiles.
  • I had to lower my neck pup on the bass side of strat when using a Fender rig to keep it from booming. I could not cut down the bass EQ on the stack because it would totally throw off the tone. The only time I had to do this so far. (fingers-crossed).

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.