Output levels and -12 button

• I was seeing this:

Main Out -12 dB

Whenever the device (e.g. mixing desk or audio interface) connected to the MAIN OUTPUT XLR or TS jacks indicates too much level coming from the PROFILER, or there is the need to set the Main Output Volume to less than -12 dB, then activate the Main Output Pad to reduce the signal level of the Main Output by 12 dB. This increases the range of the Main Output Volume control and preserves the signal-to-noise ratio of the Main Output.

I normally run around -14 so I tried this as recommended and had to run the knob up quite a bit. I didn't hear a big difference, and I don't hear of many people using this so I put it back to where it was. If I am running -14 should I really be using this button as recommended?

• I leave mine at -12db all the time but in reality I doubt it is a big issue either way. In the digital world the S/N ratio is so good that it is probably splitting hairs. As for the “increases the range of the volume control” I read this as being it makes it easier to fine tune the volume you want as. The analog analogy would be padding down the gain on the mic pre on a desk to ensure you have the full range of fader movement rather than having everything squeezed into a shorter travel.

In the end, if it works it works ?

• This has me a little confused as I would think you would get the best signal to noise ratio in analog having the Kemper output high and your desk gain low. But then I believe you are speaking of within the Kemper. So if I am running at -14 into a line device, I should have the button in even if it means I have to have the kemper output much higher correct?

• I would try the -12dB option first. If you still need to lower the output level to avoid clipping in your external device attenuate the signal further by lowering the output level value by another 2dB.

Thanks. I am running a line in at -14 out on the Kemper without the button in to have the levels just right. If I push the button in I have to have the Kemper out much higher, not lower.

• Thanks. I am running a line in at -14 out on the Kemper without the button in to have the levels just right. If I push the button in I have to have the Kemper out much higher, not lower.

what I meant is you need to set the output level to -2dB to achieve an attenuation of 14 dB when you add the -12 dB option.

• what I meant is you need to set the output level to -2dB to achieve an attenuation of 14 dB when you add the -12 dB option.

Thanks, I get that. So I'm guessing the better signal to noise comes from having the digital portion of the amp turned up more (-2db) and the analog output section padded(-12db option) . That makes sense to me, It just seemed odd to run the output that high but now that I understand where the pad is, I see where having the button on -12 Would be better even though I could adjust the Kemper output to work either way (-14 w/o -12DP option or -2db with -12 option) -2 is turning the digital domain up and thus lowering the noise floor.

• I think its just a global setting?

Im going to start with the -12db myself from now on :)

Yes I wanted to know because most things in the output section are preset save-able except for the volume settings and power amp switch:

The volume level settings are not stored with the output presets, as switching the presets could result in dangerous volume jumps.

I'm guessing your correct this would include the -12pad as well.

• what I meant is you need to set the output level to -2dB to achieve an attenuation of 14 dB when you add the -12 dB option.

This came up on another post but your explanation here really helps and makes sense to me now! I'm planning on running line out for the first time at our next gig and this helps clear that up.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• The volume level settings are not stored with the output presets, as switching the presets could result in dangerous volume jumps

No, but the pad level is. To be nitpicky, couldn't that create a situation to where if you had the XLR output volume @ 0db and pad -12, and you chose a preset that had the pad off, it would create a HUGE volume jump? =O I don't ever mean to bash when bringing this up, I just thought it may have been overlooked when protecting things from preset initiated volume jumps. The pad probably should be anchored along with the output and not presettable to avoid jumps. I went back into all my output presets and changed the pad.

• When Main Out -12 dB is active, works only for the dry signal/output of my kemper. Im asigning one output for dry signal, and the other for the wet signal.

How I can have -12 db active or deactivate for all outputs, regarding what kind of signal Im getting out of?

• When Main Out -12 dB is active, works only for the dry signal/output of my kemper. Im asigning one output for dry signal, and the other for the wet signal.

How I can have -12 db active or deactivate for all outputs, regarding what kind of signal Im getting out of?

From the Main Manual 8.5, page 121:

MAIN OUTPUT

Use the MAIN OUTPUT to connect to a mixing desk in a recording studio, or to the front-of-house mixer in a live situation. You have a choice of XLR (balanced) or quarter-inch TS-jacks (unbalanced).

- Main Out -12 dB

Whenever the device (e.g. mixing desk or audio interface) connected to the MAIN OUTPUT XLR or TS jacks indicates too much level coming from the PROFILER, or there is the need to set the Main Output Volume to less than -12 dB, then activate the Main Output Pad to reduce the signal level of the Main Output by 12 dB. This increases the range of the Main Output Volume control and preserves the signal-to-noise ratio of the Main Output.